Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:He's said that because he ca;t be arsed answering the same questions over and over again.

First question was about Rooney. Not about the result, or the last minute winner. Pathetic stuff.

He's a clever lad Allardyce and he swatted them away with a grin on his face. Top stuff
I'd much rather believe that than Insaney's version. Allardyce is nobody's fool.
Relax, we aren't going to war. :wink: This is what you wrote and I found trouble believing...
But he's basically said Wayne can do what he likes, because I can't tell him otherwise. Which however it was meant, is the wrong message to give out under the current circumstances. Especially when everyone hoped Sam would give the England team more structure.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:He's said that because he ca;t be arsed answering the same questions over and over again.

First question was about Rooney. Not about the result, or the last minute winner. Pathetic stuff.

He's a clever lad Allardyce and he swatted them away with a grin on his face. Top stuff
I'd much rather believe that than Insaney's version. Allardyce is nobody's fool.
Relax, we aren't going to war. :wink: This is what you wrote and I found trouble believing...
But he's basically said Wayne can do what he likes, because I can't tell him otherwise. Which however it was meant, is the wrong message to give out under the current circumstances. Especially when everyone hoped Sam would give the England team more structure.
And what I meant by that is, that is how his comments would be taken by the media in general. He gave them that license. As I said "however it was meant" that is the sort of message it came across as.

I don't believe for one second that is what is going on. It just wasn't the right tone of message for this time, IMHO.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:50 pm

maybe Sam doesn't really give a monkeys what the press are saying.... maybe he thrives on their disapproval... maybe he's deliberately winding them up....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I don't believe for one second that is what is going on.
You just think that's how all us dim schmucks will read it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm

The exact Allardyce quotes were...
Wayne played wherever he wanted to. He did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play, but I was pleased with his performance. I think [Rooney] holds a lot more experience at international football than I do as an international manager, so, when he’s using his experience and playing as a team member, it’s not for me to say where he’s going to play.
Now like I say, however you want to take those and whatever you want to read into them, at best they were pretty silly things to say. You can say that what he meant was that Rooney has a free role in the team. And of course I'm sure that is what was meant. But that ISN'T what he said. And that is the thing. It has given the parts of the media a stick with which to beat him. And lets be clear to say "he's more experienced at international football than I am so I can't say where he will play"....is a pretty silly thing to say. If you take that statement at face value it means that Sam can't tell any of the players what to do or where to play seeing as they all have more caps than him. Again knowing Sam he is on a wind up, but that is a dangerous game to play in this job, he doesn't have the protection he had previously where clubs automatically rallied behind him because of results. He's going to be open to criticism if he says things like this, however he meant them and irrespective of intentions.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The exact Allardyce quotes were...
Wayne played wherever he wanted to. He did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play, but I was pleased with his performance. I think [Rooney] holds a lot more experience at international football than I do as an international manager, so, when he’s using his experience and playing as a team member, it’s not for me to say where he’s going to play.
Now like I say, however you want to take those and whatever you want to read into them, at best they were pretty silly things to say. You can say that what he meant was that Rooney has a free role in the team. And of course I'm sure that is what was meant. But that ISN'T what he said. And that is the thing. It has given the parts of the media a stick with which to beat him. And lets be clear to say "he's more experienced at international football than I am so I can't say where he will play"....is a pretty silly thing to say. If you take that statement at face value it means that Sam can't tell any of the players what to do or where to play seeing as they all have more caps than him. Again knowing Sam he is on a wind up, but that is a dangerous game to play in this job, he doesn't have the protection he had previously where clubs automatically rallied behind him because of results. He's going to be open to criticism if he says things like this, however he meant them and irrespective of intentions.

if you can spot what was meant - why can't anyone else?

I doubt Sam gives two chuffs about how the media interprets his tone... in fact - I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he thrives on their disdain and so does this stuff on purpose, just to wind them up...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The exact Allardyce quotes were...
Did he really say "[Rooney]"!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:31 am

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:40 am

Well that's what he's up against. Better football than under Hodgson. A win and a clean sheet and he gets battered for it.

The English footballing Media really is a disgrace to its' profession
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

Sam's extraordinary statement will haunt him for a long time. Meat & drink to those in the media hunting him already. I'm sure he meant it differently but needs to ensure more care in future remarks.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:Well that's what he's up against. Better football than under Hodgson. A win and a clean sheet and he gets battered for it.

The English footballing Media really is a disgrace to its' profession
The football looked remarkably similar to that we produced under Hodgson. I like Sam but I'd be hard pressed to hand on heart say there was any significant improvement.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:07 pm

After a few days training and one fecking game you expected significant improvements?

Why am I not surprised?
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:35 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:After a few days training and one fecking game you expected significant improvements?

Why am I not surprised?
No I don't expect it. I just didn't see any.

What I was disappointed in was that the team structure did not seem improved and I definitely think that was something I was expecting.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:55 pm

We've been distinctly average for generations now, why the f*ck is anyone expecting a manager to significantly change that?

I have to agree that it looked just like Roy Hodgsons team. But then it also looed like Roy Hodgsons team before Roy Hodgson.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:41 pm

It'll only become a Big Sam team when he gets his players into people's faces & the officials might take a dim hiew if that's not carefully introduced.

In fact, some "top players" may find that outside their scope. He may have to pick players for his system, not try & shoehorn the most skillful 11 into the system. THEN the press and the agents will have a field day. All forgiven if he gets results. But he WILL have to get results.

Time will tell.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:00 pm

bobo the clown wrote:It'll only become a Big Sam team when he gets his players into people's faces & the officials might take a dim hiew if that's not carefully introduced.

In fact, some "top players" may find that outside their scope. He may have to pick players for his system, not try & shoehorn the most skillful 11 into the system. THEN the press and the agents will have a field day. All forgiven if he gets results. But he WILL have to get results.

Time will tell.

we'll know when Lallana starts standing on the goalie's toes! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:It'll only become a Big Sam team when he gets his players into people's faces & the officials might take a dim hiew if that's not carefully introduced.

Time will tell.

Nah, the real tell will be when Rooney turns up at left back :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
thebish wrote:

Time will tell.
Taking long throws.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
thebish wrote:

Time will tell.

:D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:37 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
thebish wrote:

Time will tell.

Nope, it will be when Carroll gets the call up.