Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Not watched much yet, not a particular fan of international football, men’s or women’s, but keeping an eye on the gooner girls and Arsenal have quite a few players in the Dutch squad - our new signing scored the winner this afternoon against NZ. Hoping for a repeat of our league winning season next year (as the men won’t be getting anywhere close!) so that bodes well!

My oldest son has been avidly reading up on it all in his Match of the Day magazine and seems to have a far more positive, embracing attitude towards it all then dinosaurs like Enoch ;) so hopefully the next generation of kids growing up will be happy to watch the game regardless of what sex is playing and the women’s game can grow and prosper further.
I've watched them for a couple of years G.G, and can name most of the squad. Magic Millie (Bright) and Super Steph (Houghton) are great central defenders and the two little uns, Fran Kirby and Nikita Parris are really decent footballers. My favourite player is box to box player Jill Scott who is a real force. Toni Duggan the main striker plays for Barcelona at club level and Phil Neville reckons right back Lucy Bronze is the best woman player in the world.

Oh look, the wonderful U.S.A have just put 11 past little Thailand....super.... :whack:

Edit, make that 13-0.....
You left out Beth Mead, we saw her score a wonder goal against Brighton at The Amex to win Arsenal the league this year. What do you reckon our chances are Tango?

The U.S result is insane! :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 pm

^^ Yes, Beth Mead is good, so is the Greenwood girl, in fact they are a cracking team all round. As for our chances, strange things happen in World Cups as you know. In with a good shout, yes. Fingers crossed we beat the Argies on Friday and we go through.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am

Not a strong day for the ladies. One 13-0 and another game paused because it rained...

I wish it had been bigger when I was younger as I reckon I'd have got into it but all I find interesting now is the Wanderers or the ludicrous levels at the top of the men's game.

Good luck to them though. Got a couple of mates out watching it in France and I play with a guy who's sister is in the Arsenal system (at uni in America on a scholarship, Anna Patten, GG?). He's happy to concede she's much better than him.

Still think the nets and pitches should be smaller.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 am

Results like tonight's is why it remains a bit of a joke competition

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am
Not a strong day for the ladies. One 13-0 and another game paused because it rained...

I wish it had been bigger when I was younger as I reckon I'd have got into it but all I find interesting now is the Wanderers or the ludicrous levels at the top of the men's game.

Good luck to them though. Got a couple of mates out watching it in France and I play with a guy who's sister is in the Arsenal system (at uni in America on a scholarship, Anna Patten, GG?). He's happy to concede she's much better than him.

An interesting thought as to who the plastics of the next generation will be. I suspect City and Liverpool.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:48 am

I don't agree with some of the comments here on women's football. There's an old saying that "From little things big things grow". I am delighted to see women playing sport in the public arena as well as in almost anonymous local competitions. Is not the latter the hunting ground for male football talent?
Are those detractors going to deprecate the skills of those such as Sue Barker, Evonne Goolagong and Maureen Connolly?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 am

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:48 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am

An interesting thought as to who the plastics of the next generation will be. I suspect City and Liverpool.
Several random Man City fans appearing amongst my twins 8 year old friends and the children I teach. Always been Liverpool fans down here in Sussex and the odd Man Utd one amongst the majority of Brighton/London teams but never City until the last few years...

Not heard of Anna Patten Pru but will keep an eye out, watched the ladies a couple of times last season when they had away matches local to us and was very enjoyable. Tickets are cheap too, usually only costs a pound or two for the kids, that said to take them to see the arsenal men’s team is only £10 but still, a cheap and fun afternoon out and Arsenal ladies have got some quality players at the moment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I'll be having a look at the Oz women taking on Brazil at 5-0'clock tonight, which might produce a few fireworks. Watched France and Norway last night and although France are very good, the Norwegians were a bit unlucky to lose to a dodgy pen, 2-1, although their equaliser was an og by Reynard, the big centre-back. France and America are real dangers and our girls will have to be on their game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:06 pm

^^ In which Oz trailers came from 2-0 down to win 3-2. Samba dancers not a bit happy about that. :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 pm

English girls beat Argentina (and the ref) 1-0 to top the group. Jill Scott was player of the match (is always in with a shout), but it was a close thing between her and the Argy goalie. She saved a penalty and made at least three/four other critical saves. Good display by our lasses against a typical Argy side, spoiling, fouling and doing the drama queen bit at every op. Well done the girls. :oyea:

Scotland lost to Japan and desperately need to win against the Argies. It won't be easy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:36 pm

This V.A.R is going to ruin football. Teams might as well stop at home and play each other on computers.Tonight was an utter joke and France are definitely going to be treated like royalty. They look for every foul, get them all and get away with murder themselves. A Nigerian girl got sent off on a red for giving away a disputed penalty (V.A.R disagreed, or at least the ref did after watching it seventeen times) which the French girl put wide then was allow to take it again and score because the Nigerian keeper stepped two inches forward as the kick was being taken. It would have missed anyway, but the omnipotent V.A.R disagreed. Guess what, France won 1-0.

The annoying thing is they are a great footballing side with bags of talent and don't need to play like Millwall fans on a rampage. The referees are decidedly questionable. Not happy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Just seen it TD, an absolute farce.

I don't like VAR full stop, but think it's ridiculous for it to be used here, you've got a linesman whose only job is to check for that.

And, after all that if you're going to be that precise about the rules on a penalty, two French players are clearly in the box when she scored the retake!

Really pisses me off FIFA's need to dick around on the margins of the rules of the world's best sport. I reckon there's more important things they can be getting on with. I'd write to the head of UEFA of I knew who it was. Used to be that Platini chap, wonder what he's up to.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm
Just seen it TD, an absolute farce.

I don't like VAR full stop, but think it's ridiculous for it to be used here, you've got a linesman whose only job is to check for that.

And, after all that if you're going to be that precise about the rules on a penalty, two French players are clearly in the box when she scored the retake!

Really pisses me off FIFA's need to dick around on the margins of the rules of the world's best sport. I reckon there's more important things they can be getting on with. I'd write to the head of UEFA of I knew who it was. Used to be that Platini chap, wonder what he's up to.
You sound like a toddler. Wah, life's not fair.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:11 pm

4/10 must do better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Have to fully agree in this instance Spots. Even the ref seemed to be doing everything for the home side to win; every 50-50 decision went their way and the whole penaly thing was a total joke.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:11 pm
4/10 must do better.
Well sorry... but having learnt that your username is because you are a Big Fan of a nonentity, I don't feel like putting in much effort. But that's toddlers for you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm
Have to fully agree in this instance Spots. Even the ref seemed to be doing everything for the home side to win; every 50-50 decision went their way and the whole penaly thing was a total joke.
Sorry, Tango. I wasn't actually criticising the fact that the VR was shite. I was throwing a tantrum directed at Prufrock. :?
I'll shut up now.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:50 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:33 pm
Sorry, Tango. I wasn't actually criticising the fact that the VR was shite. I was throwing a tantrum directed at Prufrock. :?
I'll shut up now.
Honesty is always the best policy... :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 pm

If there's a benefit to being in the lower divisions again, it's that we'll not have to fret about VAR coming to ruin our games.

Imagine celebrating Wilbraham's winner against Forest, watching everyone walk back to the centre circle and then "oh hang on they're calling the ref over to look at the telly"
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 pm
If there's a benefit to being in the lower divisions again, it's that we'll not have to fret about VAR coming to ruin our games.

Imagine celebrating Wilbraham's winner against Forest, watching everyone walk back to the centre circle and then "oh hang on they're calling the ref over to look at the telly"
See, Harry, when a club's paying you actual Drogbas and co £350,000 a week, winning tends to matter just a bit, especially when opposed to a club that doesn't even pay them every week. I think that's why your Prem lot might encourage it all. Give it time and, like I said elsewhere, one day they'll all stay home and play the fixtures on gaming channels. What a load of bollox it all is.