Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21482
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 30, 2021 10:11 pm

I didn't realise Hojbjerg was in his last year, so bad example. The wider point though is Insane can have N'Golo, I'll have Kev, and with the same budget to buy players to play alongside, my team is going to win as long as I don't go full Owen.

I think you're a little harsh on De Bruyne in terms of history of the game too, he's been the best player in the best team of the last 5 years (and arguably Premier League history).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29052
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 30, 2021 11:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:11 pm
I didn't realise Hojbjerg was in his last year, so bad example. The wider point though is Insane can have N'Golo, I'll have Kev, and with the same budget to buy players to play alongside, my team is going to win as long as I don't go full Owen.

I think you're a little harsh on De Bruyne in terms of history of the game too, he's been the best player in the best team of the last 5 years (and arguably Premier League history).
Nobody questions De Bruyne. He’s just not as good a player in terms of being able to win games for his side as Kante. Attacking players have high market value because of perception and because you need them and in greater numbers too. But still. Kante has won everything and there’s a reason for that.

You mention Rice and Henderson and illustrate my point. Neither are close to good enough as a Kante type player in the England set up. Neither are close to being as good as Hojberg either. In that role. Henderson as a box to box type is decent enough but not doing the job we’re talking about and if he’s asked to do it, it simply highlights the problem.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 31, 2021 1:04 am

If you are picking a current world best 11 De Bruyne is in it. If you are picking an all-time best 11 Kante is probably in it.

For me, that's the difference.

I completely agree he will never as valuable as De Bruyne or Kane, but he's better than both. Teams can often organise themselves into clean sheets, but you usually have to buy goals. So the world's best defensive players will never be as valuable as the world's best attacking talent, even if they are the greatest ever in their role. Caveat being unless that player were ever English, because you're basically paying double.

Also, nice to see people who rate Hojbjerg. Really underrated player.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 31, 2021 3:18 pm

Don't think this ref will award a penalty if it goes to penalties on that showing. Leatheren very lucky, there.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3415
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Morecambe winning it in the style they’ve become accustomed to. Diving, cheating tw@ts!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Morecambe winning it in the style they’ve become accustomed to. Diving, cheating tw@ts!
Yup. Daylight robbery.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29052
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 31, 2021 5:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Morecambe winning it in the style they’ve become accustomed to. Diving, cheating tw@ts!
Yup. Daylight robbery.
Feel for Newport but frankly they had the game on a plate and put it over the bar. Penalty decision was absolutely shocking. Not even a foul and definitely not in the box.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 31, 2021 8:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:52 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Morecambe winning it in the style they’ve become accustomed to. Diving, cheating tw@ts!
Yup. Daylight robbery.
Feel for Newport but frankly they had the game on a plate and put it over the bar. Penalty decision was absolutely shocking. Not even a foul and definitely not in the box.
And the one in first half that wasn't given. Accidental, yeah, but the keeper still punched striker in the head.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29052
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 31, 2021 10:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:39 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:52 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm
Morecambe winning it in the style they’ve become accustomed to. Diving, cheating tw@ts!
Yup. Daylight robbery.
Feel for Newport but frankly they had the game on a plate and put it over the bar. Penalty decision was absolutely shocking. Not even a foul and definitely not in the box.
And the one in first half that wasn't given. Accidental, yeah, but the keeper still punched striker in the head.
Yeah. I’d not say you’d get that given that often but still. Better side lost. Having said that trip to Morecambe if fans allowed appeals much more than Newport does...

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 am

We've seen a lot of dodgy refs this season, so in a way it was fitting that a terrible decision would decide the game. Very League Two.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:55 pm

He was a Premier league Ref 3/4 years ago! Before he started taking the piss out of disabled people, that is
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37147
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Poor lad. Love the way he looks back, hoping to spot a culpable divot as he walked away. Nah mate, just you. :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Belter.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 pm
Poor lad. Love the way he looks back, hoping to spot a culpable divot as he walked away. Nah mate, just you. :D

Was gonna post this for all you that slate women goalkeepers. Would seem men can be just as inept!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Not sure why, we'll still slate women goalkeepers, and Scottish ones, certainly. :-)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8052
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm
Not sure why, we'll still slate women goalkeepers, and Scottish ones, certainly. :-)
:roll: Why Scottish ones?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:20 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm
Not sure why, we'll still slate women goalkeepers, and Scottish ones, certainly. :-)
:roll: Why Scottish ones?!
We are likely to laugh at the laughable, from whatever quarter. Down the years, that's included Joe Hart's clanger amongst others, but down the years, Scottish keepers have dropped some rare auld clangers.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 21482
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:52 pm

It comes from the manager. In my mind there's no conceivable way of watching at the very least that second half that doesn't scream, shout and stomp "don't lose".

I'm convinced that was the approach. Because they're through. And in his head, now you're through you can play with a bit of freedom against the Czech Republic, win the game win the group win the tournament and no-one remembers this game.

Which is fecking insane but it's perversely "rational" and "mature".

Cowardice. You owe 45m people watching better than that.

Honestly, you will never explain Rashford for Kane until the day I die.

It was like watching a megson team, except you can't get relegated. Pure cowardice.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25750
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:41 am

Well at least it wasn't one of them shit 3-0's being turned out. :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10605
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Sackable offence that last night for me! Ruined me beer, ruined me tea, byeeee!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests