Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:36 pm

Dyche is back, boys. Dyche is back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pm

Can Wrexham and Sheff U play each other every week?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 am

Up at Arsenal yesterday to watch us concede a goal from a free kick that shouldn’t have been, that was blatantly offside! We didn’t play well and probably didn’t deserve the win, but VAR is a joke 😤

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:11 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 am
Up at Arsenal yesterday to watch us concede a goal from a free kick that shouldn’t have been, that was blatantly offside! We didn’t play well and probably didn’t deserve the win, but VAR is a joke 😤
It was ridiculous. They 'forgot' to draw the lines. I find it astonishing.

I was listening to a discussion about VAR. The basic line was 'its not perfect but more decisions are right so its better for the game'.

And I thought - are more decisions right? Probably. But has that improved consistency? Not for me. And consistency is more important than getting decisions right. The problem we have now is that sometimes stuff is penalised, other times not - and because the evidence is always reviewed that makes it worse. Much worse.

Its also ruined the spectacle of the game. Offside sounds far enough until you realise its a subjective call as to where a line is drawn and at times you're dealing with a pixel difference on their screen. Nonsense.

And then they 'forgot'. Good lord. Scrap it and start again for me.

Here is my suggestion. An official watches a live feed of the game - they get two replays for any incident - that's it. If there is a clear and obvious error made they alert the referee and decision is altered in same way a linesman would on the field. This way egregious obvious errors are corrected. The obvious offside calls are correct. Its quick and simple. But calls made by the officials are still the most significant. There is a clearer threshold for intervention - as in if you can't spot it in real time or after two replays you don't keep looking. And if you have looked and aren't sure - referee's decision stands.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am

I've been saying that since the start :D

Though I went with 3 replays. If you can't spot it in that, then it isn't "wrong" enough.

I'm sure they have got more decisions right. But they still get nowhere near all of them and it just isn't worth the time and aggro. Should only be for the shockers, IMO.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:31 am
I've been saying that since the start :D

Though I went with 3 replays. If you can't spot it in that, then it isn't "wrong" enough.

I'm sure they have got more decisions right. But they still get nowhere near all of them and it just isn't worth the time and aggro. Should only be for the shockers, IMO.
Yeah - I mean replay number is a bit subjective - I just think 2 angles is enough - if you have to slow down and super zoom in then no - just go with refs decision. Also the person watching the screen should intervene and tell ref - none of this nonsense making the referee go over to the screen.

The system as it stands is completely ridiculous.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am
person watching the screen should intervene and tell ref - none of this nonsense making the referee go over to the screen.
Can't agree with that. The Ref is in charge of the game and has the final say. No point having one otherwise.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am
person watching the screen should intervene and tell ref - none of this nonsense making the referee go over to the screen.
Can't agree with that. The Ref is in charge of the game and has the final say. No point having one otherwise.
I was going to say the same TD, but then again, the ref doesn't review a number of decisions that are already made by VAR. There are lots of occasions in Rugby where the TMO, plays the replays to the ref, where it's still unclear (but actually on the big screen, rather than having them run over to the side). I'm also not sure whether the playing it in front of the crowd, is good or bad. As they play it back on the big screens at Rugby, the home crowd will invariably give it their approval/disapproval, they just assume the ref isn't going to be swayed by that...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:11 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
It’s also ruined the spectacle of the game.
I’ve long since thought this, but it was never more evident to me than when Charles scored our second at Charlton. HG, Mrs HG and I were going mental, whilst GG was mentally waiting for VAR to decide if it was a goal or not. VAR has taken all the spontaneity and excitement out of the scoring of a goal.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
I’ve long since thought this, but it was never more evident to me than when Charles scored our second at Charlton. HG, Mrs HG and I were going mental, whilst GG was mentally waiting for VAR to decide if it was a goal or not. VAR has taken all the spontaneity and excitement out of the scoring of a goal.
Nah, I was just in shock you had scored! ;) Expecting loads next Saturday though!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Nah, I was just in shock you had scored! ;) Expecting loads next Saturday though!

😯 How rude!

We score when we want! 😎

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:31 pm

Erling Haaland is a ridiculous physical specimen. I mean obviously Rico would pocket him, but can't think of many others who would. What a player.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:31 pm
Erling Haaland is a ridiculous physical specimen. I mean obviously Rico would pocket him, but can't think of many others who would. What a player.
Ugh. That was painful. Expected but still painful!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:03 pm
Ugh. That was painful. Expected but still painful!
Thought you did alright, considering. Nketiah should have scored and if he puts that header away it's a different game. Swap strikers and you probably win it.

You just made too many errors against absolute monsters. You're trying to overcome an obvious quality gap to finish ahead of them and tonight you fell short. The advantage you have going forward is they may not be able to keep paying the wages they have been and your squad is young, meaning over the next few years of development you might have an advantage.

Also wouldn't hurt if they were booted into non-league, obviously.

Even now you've got a decent shot at it. Game in hand and you still play City again. Way ahead of where I thought you'd be this season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm

I wouldn't be too downcast. You went toe-to-toe with them and they took their chances and you didn't. There's only really Liverpool in recent times been able to do that to them (rather than defending well and hoping you get the breaks). Haaland is a freak, that was a great watch, and you weren't far away. I did go for a little "safari" walk around N5 afterwards though to drink in the misery :D.

Arsenal fans are weird though, on the walk out of the ground, and hardly any of them were talking about the football. One middle-aged couple were talking about speed limits, and a group of lads were talking about financial products. Bizarre lot. You need to bounce back though. Go 1-0 down at the weekend, and Nketiah has a bad touch, and that old fickleness will be back!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:13 am

I think they have too much strength in depth for us. We bought on Fabio Vieria, they bring on Phil Foden. We really missed Jesus tonight. Nketiah having a form dip and we didn’t really look like scoring. No out and out strikers on the bench. Wish we could recall Balogun who’s tearing up Ligue 1 on loan! Quite like to see Trossard start a few games in place of Martinelli. Be really surprised if we overtake them again now but as you say, way ahead of where I thought we would be too, at the start of the season I’d have snatched your hand off to be level with City with a game in hand at this stage, need to keep a sense of perspective. Just a bit gutted today that’s all. I’d have taken a draw!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm
I wouldn't be too downcast. You went toe-to-toe with them and they took their chances and you didn't. There's only really Liverpool in recent times been able to do that to them (rather than defending well and hoping you get the breaks). Haaland is a freak, that was a great watch, and you weren't far away. I did go for a little "safari" walk around N5 afterwards though to drink in the misery :D.

Arsenal fans are weird though, on the walk out of the ground, and hardly any of them were talking about the football. One middle-aged couple were talking about speed limits, and a group of lads were talking about financial products. Bizarre lot. You need to bounce back though. Go 1-0 down at the weekend, and Nketiah has a bad touch, and that old fickleness will be back!
Glad I didn’t see you all smug after I walked out the ground saturday. You may not like arsenal fans but the atmosphere in the emirates has been great this season - and last. Does feel like special times to come in the future with this young team.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am

It's all moot anyway. Let City get 10 points ahead then kick 'em into the conference. :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:49 pm

I actually thought the game was two teams who are both struggling to find form of late and City won purely due to their higher individual quality and Arsenals mistakes.

I’d not say it was a good example of top top teams going at each other though was an absorbing watch in its own way.

I also think once again, if you are giving that penalty after VAR then there are going to need to be a LOT more penalties given for consistency sake. If a keeper comes fails to make contact with the ball and does with the man then it’s a penalty. In that case if you miss the ball and punch the man it’s a penalty. Every time. But I’m betting once again those decisions won’t be given on a consistent basis either way,

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:02 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:15 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm

Glad I didn’t see you all smug after I walked out the ground saturday. You may not like arsenal fans but the atmosphere in the emirates has been great this season - and last. Does feel like special times to come in the future with this young team.
:D I was actually pulling up at mine as you were all filling out on Sat but I didn't know what had happened.

I want it to all come crashing down because it would be very funny given where I live. But you should defo be excited and no-one could begrudge lovely Bukayo getting success.