Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:43 am

First Wembley win against them since 77. A young Genshaw sat watching in awe of Keegan and Brooking tearing them apart. Unlike those pretenders, this generation is the real deal.

2 wonderful 2nd half goals with Bellingham & Foden pulling the strings. Defence looks sound and decent squad depth. We'll never win anything because it's against the laws of football apparently but we should have a good Euros.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:11 am

Bellingham must be considered the best player on the planet right. What a talent. I'm so glad he's ours

Rashford gets pelters at club level and I do see it, but he offers a lot for England. Raw pace that you need at International level and he took his goal superbly

Phillips lucky to stay on the pitch, but the last few games for England, he's looked a better player than Rice. Bellingham, Foden, and one of Saka or Rashford behind Kane... Wow. takes some stopping, that
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:58 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:11 am
Bellingham must be considered the best player on the planet right. What a talent. I'm so glad he's ours

Rashford gets pelters at club level and I do see it, but he offers a lot for England. Raw pace that you need at International level and he took his goal superbly

Phillips lucky to stay on the pitch, but the last few games for England, he's looked a better player than Rice. Bellingham, Foden, and one of Saka or Rashford behind Kane... Wow. takes some stopping, that
A very good team but I still do worry about defence. Maguire can say he he's never let England down but he's not one of the world's best defenders. Last night we had a right-back who (while still very very good) will be 34 next summer, and at left-back we had a right-back who's 33. if the old saw that attacks win games but defences win trophies still holds true, we look on course for the usual Agonising Late Failure.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:03 pm

No concerns at RB - Walker still as quick as he was 6-7 years ago and is currently genuinely World Class in his position

TAA, Trippier, Reece James (if/when fit) all great back up options

LCB and LB are a concern but we have enough in the squad to be contenders for sure

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:34 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:03 pm
No concerns at RB - Walker still as quick as he was 6-7 years ago and is currently genuinely World Class in his position

TAA, Trippier, Reece James (if/when fit) all great back up options

LCB and LB are a concern but we have enough in the squad to be contenders for sure
Yep, we could have a great five-a-side team of right-backs. Reminds me of when Todd picked a team at QPR with four left-backs....

My concern is that an opponent worth its socks might just consider attacking down the other side now and again.

But yeah. I watched last night and was genuinely nodding along with raised eyebrows as England basically made a game against the holders (and the team who should be our chief group rivals) look like an exhibition match.

I've said before re Wanderers but the thing that's easy to forget is that the other team have weaknesses and feelings too. They won't fancy facing England.

Oh and of course Bellingham is bound to break a metetarsal in March....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:54 pm

I don't think it matters too much how England look in qualifying - nor even necessarily how good a team we have (though clearly it matters) the thing is whether they have the mentality and ability to get over the line in major competition.

Its an intangible thing almost. Italy weren't better than us player for player last time but I think it came down to just that winning mentality they had that ultimately we lacked - fine margins of course but that's the highest level

Also comes down to Southgate not bottling it....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:54 pm
I don't think it matters too much how England look in qualifying - nor even necessarily how good a team we have (though clearly it matters) the thing is whether they have the mentality and ability to get over the line in major competition.

Its an intangible thing almost. Italy weren't better than us player for player last time but I think it came down to just that winning mentality they had that ultimately we lacked - fine margins of course but that's the highest level

Yeah - but don't forget how good Albania are! It's not surprising if we lose! :-)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:54 pm

....and sometimes, you know, it just comes down to a team getting a break and winning on the day.

Every time either England or Bolton lose it doesn't have to come down to the manager bottling it or the players not matching the opposition's fight. Sometimes, you just lose a game.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:07 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:48 pm

Every time either England or Bolton lose it doesn't have to come down to the manager bottling it or the players not matching the opposition's fight. Sometimes, you just lose a game.....
:pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:01 pm

The worst United team of my lifetime, I think. Glorious days.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:55 pm

^^ Some of us may have been fortunate enough to have seen them relegated! (And can remember them all chanting Fergie out...). I live in hope that you get such a glorious day!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:23 pm

More today's football news than "tonight's football" - but Chansiri at Sheff Weds...what in interesting approach. Getting stick off fans so told them he wasn't putting more dosh in and now suggested they should stump up the £2m HMRC tax bill!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:47 am

"they tell me I'm only a custodian and that they own the club. If they want to own the club, they can pay its' debts"

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:09 pm

Oh, United. They keep on giving, don’t they. It’s wonderful to see the meringue break in the breeze.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:07 pm

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:09 pm
Oh, United. They keep on giving, don’t they. It’s wonderful to see the meringue break in the breeze.
I think this meringue is coming out as omelette...
FB_IMG_1698874964604.jpg
FB_IMG_1698874964604.jpg (47.25 KiB) Viewed 10916 times

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:09 am

Man United last night…. :laugh:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:21 am

As funny as it was, VAR is becoming a farce now. It's a tool to actively search out and punish small offences and make them into a big deal

2 penalties last night and neither of them were penalties
The red card was also a joke. Total accident and an obvious attempt to position himself between man and ball

United though, are totally leaderless on the pitch. The fact that Fernandes is their captain speaks volumes.. 2/3rds of their team can't do what the manager wants and it worsens every time they change manager. Long may it continue

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:28 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:09 am
Man United last night…. :laugh:
Roony! Roony! I bet they were all singing that! :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:38 pm

Well that was incredible
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:58 pm

Not tonight, but tomorrow and Monday England play. At least it's some football to watch in a barren Wanderers calendar. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?