Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:22 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:21 pm
Think Trafford is getting bumped one up the list
They can keep this one!
Scary isn’t it?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:28 pm

Not an unentertaining watch...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:28 pm
Not an unentertaining watch...
Indeed not. Liverpool just steamrollered City first half (with a little help goal-wise). I'm a confirmed Grealish fan; he just gets better as he goes, but neither he nor De Bruen could so much against the Scouse pressure game. Too little too late, the cry.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:02 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:19 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am
Yeesh the mad bastards. Was really hoping Everton would go down.
What have Everton done to offend you?!
If you had to put up with bleating, badly-done-to Scouce 'victims' every time you turned your television on, you wouldn't need to ask. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Yay, I've worked out when xG is useful. When you use it to show how shit United are on 0.00....That was some half of football from Thiago.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 am

Woke up this morning buzzing. We scored 4 goals! Against Chelsea! Makes my back to work blues a bit better. Particularly as some of the kids I teach support Chelsea! :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:02 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:19 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am
Yeesh the mad bastards. Was really hoping Everton would go down.
What have Everton done to offend you?!
If you had to put up with bleating, badly-done-to Scouce 'victims' every time you turned your television on, you wouldn't need to ask. :)
Not too late....... Come on Burrrrrrrnli :mrgreen:

Everton have a terrible run in :oyea:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 11:04 pm

If Liverpool win all four I'm moving to the moon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 8:06 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:04 pm
If Liverpool win all four I'm moving to the moon.
I can see some upsides... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 8:08 am

Last night shows that for all the football and modern football nonsense that is spoken about, load the box two hopeful high balls and it’s good night Vienna if you can’t deal with that.

It was a masterclass from City in how to control a game. Until they were asked right at the end whether they could do the basics and defend their box from crosses. They couldn’t. It’s a lesson to an extent for Bolton and Evatt. We will be asked those questions next season. Set pieces and crosses. You need the right players to deal with those.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 9:07 am

So you're saying we can win the league 3 times and reach a CL semi final without bothering to sort out defending our box?

Awesome.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 9:29 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:07 am
So you're saying we can win the league 3 times and reach a CL semi final without bothering to sort out defending our box?

Awesome.
If we spend the money city have and assemble a squad of their quality then yes. But they have vulnerabilities that given the money they’ve spent really should be addressed. Instead of wasting money on Grealish they could have bought a really solid centre half better equipped to deal with that threat.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 10:05 am

They didn't waste money on Grealish. City's transfer business last summer wasn't about this season, it was about next season and the ones after that. Grealish was bought because he was available and he was given a 6 year deal so they don't need to look at that role again. His fee works out at just over 16m a year, which they will see as tidy business.

It looks like this summer they will target Haaland and a midfielder. Again, younger players on long deals.

The summer after that, other positions.

FFP means they can't do everything all at once and sometimes they pick up a player who they don't vitally need now, but they will need the next time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:05 am
They didn't waste money on Grealish. City's transfer business last summer wasn't about this season, it was about next season and the ones after that. Grealish was bought because he was available and he was given a 6 year deal so they don't need to look at that role again. His fee works out at just over 16m a year, which they will see as tidy business.

It looks like this summer they will target Haaland and a midfielder. Again, younger players on long deals.

The summer after that, other positions.

FFP means they can't do everything all at once and sometimes they pick up a player who they don't vitally need now, but they will need the next time.
Grealish is 26, the peak of his playing career. The absolute peak. They paid money for him suggesting that he was the missing piece to get them over the line in the champions league. They paid Ronaldo, Messi money for a player who at 26 should be the real deal, the world class ready to transform the team now player.

What they’ve got is a massively overrated mid table premiership at best player who will very likely never be any more than that. He’s being savaged by all and sundry for his performance last night and rightly so. £50M would have been way over the odds for him. Way over. He’s vastly inferior to Foden who is younger, better, works harder and was already there.

Grealish was a massive mistake, I said so at the time and it’s played out exactly as I knew it would.

He’s not even the best player on city’s bloody bench. £100m what a joke. And the fact they are stuck with him for 6 years is worse.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 10:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 am
Grealish is 26, the peak of his playing career. The absolute peak. They paid money for him suggesting that he was the missing piece to get them over the line in the champions league. They paid Ronaldo, Messi money for a player who at 26 should be the real deal, the world class ready to transform the team now player.

What they’ve got is a massively overrated mid table premiership at best player who will very likely never be any more than that. He’s being savaged by all and sundry for his performance last night and rightly so. £50M would have been way over the odds for him. Way over. He’s vastly inferior to Foden who is younger, better, works harder and was already there.

Grealish was a massive mistake, I said so at the time and it’s played out exactly as I knew it would.

He’s not even the best player on city’s bloody bench. £100m what a joke. And the fact they are stuck with him for 6 years is worse.
Yeah, you don't like Jack Grealish. I understand that. That's not what we are talking about.

City's transfer policy relies on them buying once per position over a longer period of time to maximise value of the deal over the length of the contract.

That is why they bought Grealish rather than spending £30m on three other players - because regardless of your view of him as a player, Pep wanted him as a longer term investment.

You can see it as a bad buy, that's fine. It doesn't change City's transfer strategy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 05, 2022 11:39 am

Dias in particular and Laporte are both right in the conversation for second best centre back in the world.

City are on track to have one of the top five best defensive records in Premier League history, and have conceded fewer goals than Liverpool.

The idea that they "can't defend their box" is laughable. There are two teams on a pitch. it was a semi with Real throwing caution to the wind. Sometimes you concede goals.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 am

Yeah, you don't like Jack Grealish. I understand that. That's not what we are talking about.

City's transfer policy relies on them buying once per position over a longer period of time to maximise value of the deal over the length of the contract.

That is why they bought Grealish rather than spending £30m on three other players - because regardless of your view of him as a player, Pep wanted him as a longer term investment.

You can see it as a bad buy, that's fine. It doesn't change City's transfer strategy.
City wanted Kane. And he’d have been a far better bet. They’d probably have been in the final at the very least with a striker who can take those chances.

They have only two weaknesses. Lack of a clinical striker and a centre back in the Kompany mould.

I don’t rate Grealish. That’s different from not liking him. He’s abundantly never been a top level player and Southgate clearly rumbled him.

A transfer policy that spends 100M on a player who isn’t worth half that isn’t a good one. City’s policy relies on them finding the right player. And Grealish wasn’t. Pep’s sole goal was to win the champions league and if you are spending that sort of money it ought to be a player who carries you there. And Grealish never was and never is that. He can’t get in their side in the peak age of his career.

However you want to justify it Pep got it wrong and bought into a cult and image rather than the actual player. The rabid England fans screaming for him to play look a bit silly now.

If I was a city fan I’d be pretty annoyed. One quality striker away from winning it all, yet spent their money on a bang average player who has added nothing to their squad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Not really sure where to start on that, to be honest.

They could have bought Kane if they'd wanted him. They didn't want to pay the asking price when Haaland was available a year later.

You're trying to make a point in your favour, but it's actually an example of what I'm talking about - transfer strategy over years and not months.

Your point about Grealish gets kind of muddled. You said they didn't need him and then say he's flopped because he's not played as much as you might expect - but those two things are related. Guardiola takes time to get players used to how City play and Grealish was signed to facilitate a striker who isn't yet in being. He's currently behind forwards who have already been fully integrated into Pep's system. It's precisely the same thing Pep has been saying about Foden. Not that he isn't good enough, but that he needs to get used to the tactical expectations at City.

With Haaland likely to rock up, that will be different. They do need him and his integration will therefore be much quicker. Grealish and Haaland have been bought to play together. If they don't, then people can start talking about them wasting money on Grealish.

As things stand City are in pole to win the league one only fell short of a CL final by 2 minutes. Apparently that's a disaster and reveals a fatal flaw in their whole approach.

If your entire thing is that Grealish was too expensive. Yes. He's English. Teams have to have English players to meet the regs, so they pay way more than they might if they were foreign.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am
Pep’s sole goal was to win the champions league
I'm not sure about this bit! I think they might have been pretty pleased if they won it, maybe even in isolation, but I doubt anyone set the sole goal of "win the CL"....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am
Pep’s sole goal was to win the champions league
I'm not sure about this bit! I think they might have been pretty pleased if they won it, maybe even in isolation, but I doubt anyone set the sole goal of "win the CL"....
I think personally it’s clearly what he’s desperate to do over and above everything else to prove he can do it beyond Barca.