Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Mar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:02 pm

Not a fan of the whole blue card nonsense, it can be used to give the opposition an advantage and possibly be open to abuse.

Dodgy refereeing, match fixing, etc.

If there was a guarantee it could be fairly applied to both sides then fair enough, but I can't see a way where discretionary sin bins work. It'll come down to whether the referee 'feels' offended.

That being said when I was coaching youth football they were put to good effect so I can understand why they're actively being considered, but then again that's amateur football and not pro.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:13 pm

Not tonight's but Everton have had some points added back after appeal....What an absolute feck-up. They might as well sort the Premier League out by audit next year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:30 pm

Phil Foden is a super, special player. Has to start for England.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:30 pm
As Neville says we should be building the team around him. He needs to be off the right or left for me as that’s where he is most effective. He can play middle too but I think he’s most dangerous finding the little pockets of space between midfield and full back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 am

Prufrock wrote:
You'd hope so, wouldn't you? Because he's also brilliantly flexible positionally, which would allow for in-game tweaks, let aloine in-tournament.

I'm not Southgate (clearly) but I can't see how he leaves him out now, especially in a 4-3-3. Saka on one side, you'd expect, but who else? Rashford and Grealish have gone backwards this season; Cole Palmer's a bright talent but he's also faded as the season's gone on, and isn't yet an England shoo-in. Bigger question is if Southgate wants to play Bellingham at 10...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:05 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 am
Prufrock wrote:
You'd hope so, wouldn't you? Because he's also brilliantly flexible positionally, which would allow for in-game tweaks, let aloine in-tournament.

I'm not Southgate (clearly) but I can't see how he leaves him out now, especially in a 4-3-3. Saka on one side, you'd expect, but who else? Rashford and Grealish have gone backwards this season; Cole Palmer's a bright talent but he's also faded as the season's gone on, and isn't yet an England shoo-in. Bigger question is if Southgate wants to play Bellingham at 10...
Saka s***? No thanks!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:36 am

Prufrock wrote:

Aye, I think he'll start on the left, mainly because Grealish and Rashford (and Sterling) aren't making a case.

Personally think that's an error, and you won't get the best out of him. He can play there for city but they dominate possession and work 2v1s everywhere, I'm not sure that's going to happen for England.

He's also been outstanding in the middle for them. I think it should be a midfield 3 of Rice Bellingham Foden. But Gareth is scarred from playing in England teams that weren't technically as good and I'm sure we'll through in another carthorse to run around next to Rice, with Bellingham at 10 and Foden shoved wide.

Of the front six , I think Rice, Bellingham , Saka, Kane and probably Foden will start. Plus a donkey.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 am

Prufrock wrote:

A player I like is Anthony Gordon. He plays as a left winger / forward. Not as good as Foden but more dynamic and faster than Grealish.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:22 am

malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:11 am
A player I like is Anthony Gordon. He plays as a left winger / forward. Not as good as Foden but more dynamic and faster than Grealish.
Yeah he's done well – I've been particularly impresssed since he moved to Newcastle: a lot of promising young players flatter to deceive once they leave their home club, but he's kicked on under Howe's coaching. Definitely worth a look IMO - Player of the Tournament last summer as England won the U21 Euros, so it's slightly strange he's not been called up yet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 am

You have to give some credit to Klopp. He's taken a RWB who was barely capable in L1. And is starting him or bringing him on, in minor cup games. What a turn around!

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful

Freiburg 1-0 West Ham United

Post by MattySlug » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:57 am

Listened to half of this game this morning thanks to TalkSport App
Cool hearing the fans singing near end of game

Hopefully a good London Night in a week or so ah Thursday 14th of March Coverage from 5:30PM Talksport2

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Cracking game of football. Liverpool only themselves to blame. Should have killed the game off but tried showboating with just one goal leads. Nunez - shouldn’t be paid for his part in firstly completely failing to pass a simple ball on the break that would have killed the game off and then playing absolute suicide pass to gift them an equaliser minutes later.

Total lack of professionalism.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:10 pm

England v Brazil kick off 7-0 clock Channel 4.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:19 pm

Brazil 1 England 0. Lost to an offside goal ( I reckon) but the game was basically a try-out for both sides. No Kane, Gealish etc, and Kyle Walker taken off first half , nothing serious I hope. Entertaining enough, but it was a friendly so, little learned. Gallagher was our M.O.T.M. for me. Not overly impressed with Chillwell who had few shooting chances and ballooned them. At times we were more open at the back than Asda on a Saturday. A few things to address.

ae:) ae:)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pm

Jared Bowen is the player wo impressed me most in the last couple of England games. A left-footed right winger, he really stood out against Belgium.

ae:) ae:)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:20 pm

Some absolute classic Barclays tonight.

Enjoyed that a *lot*

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:05 pm

Yep. Also highlighted just how leaderless united look on the pitch.

Mint innit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:26 am

We've all seen how bad refereeing in L1 is this season, but I wouldn't be too hopeful it'll get better if we go up.

West Brom's "penalty" against Rotherham tonight...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:53 am

Wow. This is.... Bonkers
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:02 am

When you're bottom of the league with W4, bad things happen...that's a shocker.