Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 pm

As for Goalkeepers....ours is Sunday pub level
A bit harsh here I think, Tango.

Sure, he made a mistake for their equaliser, but I'd have Pope in goal way ahead of Pickford.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Sure, he made a mistake for their equaliser, but I'd have Pope in goal way ahead of Pickford.
I'll take your word on that Brue as I don't follow league football these days, only Bolton and international level (I'm quite knowledgeable on Womens football mind :) but I've always found Pickford a decent keeper. As a peace-loving man, I did however want to plant a size elevens up the German goalie's thundercrakens for his penalty antics. I might extend that to their whole team.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I’d have Ramsdale, distribution way better then both the other options.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I’d have Ramsdale, distribution way better then both the other options.
He's a fair shout too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Nick Pope is a bang average premier league goalkeeper who looks good on MOTD every now and then because he has a good game every now and then with loads to do, but fundamentally just isn't very good.

And how anyone who's entire job is football can be so bad at kicking a ball is beyond me. There's keepers from the 80s who'd be embarrassed by that. He's got no knees!

I'm glad that experiment should hopefully be done.

We don't have a world class keeper. Hopefully Ramsdale can become it. But until then there's noone close to that Mackem nutter who has never met England down, and is at least great value.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Also thought Shaw was fine yesterday, and Bellingham head and shoulders our best player (though some of the media talk was a bit hype and cringe).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm
Also thought Shaw was fine yesterday, and Bellingham head and shoulders our best player (though some of the media talk was a bit hype and cringe).
Yeah - I didn't have Shaw down as "total donkey" and Bellingham, maybe not quite our best, but certainly had a decent game. I think overall our "best players" were the subs...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 pm

Hope for the future. England under 21's (with out lad Trafford in the nets) beat Germany 3-1, the last one in extra time, after being 1-0 down first half. . Too many unfamiliar names and subs to make individual comments, but before substitutions (a whole host from both teams) Garner and Balogun sp?) stood out. Germans as usual being very Germanic but our lads gave them some back and even when Trafford snatched the ball off a head, the German forward flung himself to the ground clutching his head. Didn't work... :lol:

Decent show and better than their dads last night... :D

ae:)

p.s. Young Trafford came through injury free thankfully.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 pm
Hope for the future. England under 21's (with out lad Trafford in the nets) beat Germany 3-1, the last one in extra time, after being 1-0 down first half. . Too many unfamiliar names and subs to make individual comments, but before substitutions (a whole host from both teams) Garner and Balogun sp?) stood out. Germans as usual being very Germanic but our lads gave them some back and even when Trafford snatched the ball off a head, the German forward flung himself to the ground clutching his head. Didn't work... :lol:

Decent show and better than their dads last night... :D

ae:)

p.s. Young Trafford came through injury free thankfully.
Saw a goal from Arsenal striker Balogun who’s had a cracking start to his loan spell in France this season, a name to look out for in the future.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:12 am
How does Maguire get in this England team when Ben White Is sitting at home on his backside?

Maguire can’t even get into the United team, yet somehow is first choice for England! 🤷‍♂️

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:44 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:33 pm
Feel like we have slightly derailed from the brilliance of Arsenal on this thread guys. :conf: :wink:
Apologies, in my excitement to make fun of United fans I posted in the wrong thread! Turning the conversation into this area now.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:45 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:26 pm
I would say Haaland is the best striker I’ve ever seen. Not sure it’s even close.
Been thinking exactly that. Opposing sides can watch as many videos of him as they like but he's just unplayable.
You can't even kick him out of his stride. As close to a footballing 'irresistible force' as I've ever seen.
The footballing equivalent of that Kiwi rugby fella that I still chuckle at Rob Andrew et al trying to tackle.

He seems like a different species. My mate yesterday said it was like watching Usain Bolt line up against other Olympic sprinters, and while cross-sport comparisons are difficult it was hard not to agree.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:14 pm

Wonder who scored for City...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:23 am

England v America Women tonight at Wembley, 8-0'clock on I.T.V. Should be a ding-dong affair..America are world champions and, in Megan Rapinoe have probably the finest women player in the game. Now 37 and will almost certainly retire soon, Rapnioe is the female version of City's Kevin De Bruyne. She has no set role and wanders about at will, but is at the heart of most of America's success. Get a grip of her girls. Come on.. :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:12 pm

Delighted to say the Lionesses beat the U.S.of A. 2-1. Not a sparkling performance and a few of ours were off their best marks, but a win is a win. The US have a young girl of 20 who is lightning fast and deadly dangerous. We have two recently retired top players missing and a solid defender (Williams) and a striker who was decidedly missed through injury.. Both sides missed a chance or two, but, as said, a win is a win, so well done. :oyea:

Under Sarina Weigman, England have played 23 games without losing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:07 pm

Plymouth Argyle appear to have erected a statue of Stephen Graham outside their stadium. Not sure why?! :?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:03 pm

England Women v Czech Republic Women tonight. A win (or draw) here would mean 24 games without a loss. A pretty decent record.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Just a 0-0 draw against a decent Czech side with a great defence in an unfriendly, but still 24 unbeaten. Ref's booked an appointment with Specsavers soonest. Didn't seem to know what was happening half the time. First with their hand up gets the free kick. Czechs defended very well but our girls hit the post twice. Good to see the Lionesses giving as good as they got in the aggression department but we need to watch getting caught out in the defence, some pacey players around. Sarina needs a word with one or two about careless passing. New addition Lauren James, is the sister of the England lad Reece James.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:59 pm

I thought the Czechs were excellent. Defended brilliantly, without the whole everybody behind the ball thing. They won headers, were aggressive and smart. They also countered well.

They're no mugs. Beat Spain and drew 0-0 with Both USA and now England
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:08 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:59 pm
I thought the Czechs were excellent. Defended brilliantly, without the whole everybody behind the ball thing. They won headers, were aggressive and smart. They also countered well.

They're no mugs. Beat Spain and drew 0-0 with Both USA and now England
Aye, much better to win a hard fought 1-0 game against decent sides than pointless 10-o ones against no hopers. England have seen some serious changes already with Jill Scott and Helen White retiring and former captain' Steph Houghton's long term injury keeping her out of the squad and some new faces arriving. The World Cup is wide open.