Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:07 pm
I actually missed it as at the pub this evening but I gather it was a bit of a drubbing. Another 3 for Mead. Tougher matches to come. Son wanted to go to this one as in Brighton but we couldn’t get tickets.
I read this a lot - There were probably 8-10k empty seats

Same at a lot of the games. Officially sold out, but scores of seats available. What;s that about?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:14 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:07 pm
I actually missed it as at the pub this evening but I gather it was a bit of a drubbing. Another 3 for Mead. Tougher matches to come. Son wanted to go to this one as in Brighton but we couldn’t get tickets.
I read this a lot - There were probably 8-10k empty seats

Same at a lot of the games. Officially sold out, but scores of seats available. What;s that about?
I don’t know but my 11 year old son was confused “you said it had sold out but there’s empty seats” think he thought I was lying and hadn’t tried to get them!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 pm

The Vikings beat Finland 1-0. Shame, as the Fins might be heading home, but the Danes were the better side and always looked more likely to score. Germany and Spain tonight and that could go either way.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:24 pm

Spain 0 Germany 2. Spain didn't play badly; just couldn't get past the German defence.Two up at half time the Rinesteiners just parked the bus and apart from a brief sally or two didn't go visiting. I can't be said to be biased where disliking Germany are concerned, that isn't charitable,but...ah, okay then, I am I suppose. It's a lifetime thing : wars, World Cups, sunbed hogging etc,etc.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:42 am

Sweden beat the Swiss and, in the other game,a really good one, Portugal lost 3-2 to The current Euro champs, Nederlands. The level of football would bear some watching (and lessons) from teams like these. Port star Diana Silva is a real talent but it was the sheer good attacking football of the Windmill girls that impressed.I can guarantee we ( the Lionesses) won't be putting eight past them or the Germans. Their game plans are no accident. Good football is good football and this was.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:34 pm

France ( who played skilful attacking football) beat Belgium 2-1, (who were pretty nieve in their efforts to attack at all despite scoring first.) France and Portugal two to worry about in addition to Spain, Holland and Germany. I think there may be a few shocks to come.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:12 pm

Northern Ireland 0, England 5. Won comfortably despite several missed chances. Credit to N.I for playing well in defence without the play-acting, fouling or cheating of some of the teams. They'll come back stronger in other competitions.

Bit surprised we replaced right back Lucy Bronze with the Carter girl who's normally a left back. Sub changes worked well, although I would have bought Beth Mead off. We were five goals up and she's so important in our attack and better to be saved for the next rounds. .England very strong in all areas and tough on them them that team manager Sarina Whatsit went down a Covid victim pre match. Hope she gets well soon. Well done the Lionesses. 14 goals in three games is mighty impressive. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:12 pm

Why do the female presenters all sound like Daleks? Those are microphones girls, not loud hailers.

So we get Spain next round; care needed. We're good, but so are they.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 pm

Chance to see France v Iceland women, B.B.C 2 , and Italy v Belgium women B.B.C 4. Unfortunately both on at the same time..8-0'clock. France for me as they seem the most dangerous. We play Spain tomorrow on B.B.C 1 at 8-0'clock. Cut throat time now. :oyea:

Correction with apology; it's Wednesday England play Spain, not today as I wrongly posted. :oops:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:22 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:41 pm
Cut throat time now.
Isn't it just?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:38 pm

Well done England, good game and through to the semis.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:03 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:38 pm
Well done England, good game and through to the semis.
Wow, what a finish. Spain will feel (justifiably) they lost it rather than us win, because England got a football lesson and only our defence kept us in the game. The Spanish girls could play possession football in a telephone kiosk and the two wingers tore us to ribbons. Seven minutes to go and one goal down, equalised and got the winner in extra time by sheer persistence and good management. Full credit for that as I honestly thought our girls had lost it. They still tend to play laying off football while oppositions play wolf-pack, but Sarina Weightman(sp?) seems to know what's needed and England are the ones going through to the semis., so well done. :oyea:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 pm

Great goal to win it after some bold substitutions. Definitely second best performance wise but who cares?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:45 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 pm
Great goal to win it after some bold substitutions. Definitely second best performance wise but who cares?
Who indeed. Nothing counts at game end but the result. Georgia Stanway's goal was something any league player would have been proud of.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62247065

Still a couple of mountains to climb, but Spain were my "fear" team. The Lionesses can do it. They've got tougher under Weisman . I've been advocation using Greenwood on the left and Jill Scott as the box-to-box midfield player; both got on last night. Question is now, who to leave out? Difficult when they're all trying so hard. We have two stopper left backs in Carter and Stokes, neither of who played, but Green wood is quicker and our left side got roasted better the a Christmas turkey last night. The whole thing was a team effort in the end and a managerial triumph. Not so for the Spanish guy who will still be pondereing how they managed to play so well and lose. Luck of the draw amigo. :oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:59 am

Now I'm conflicted.

Since 1984 I've sworn that in my life I never expect to see a worse penalty kick than Pat Nevin's vs Man City (Arsenal debacle not withstanding, but they didn't even get a shot away).

But now Connor Gallagher's thrown his cap firmly into the ring with this (Sorry for the 'soccerguy' commentary, it's all I could find in ahem, English)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:10 am

Well that, and there's clearly too many letters in Panenka for them to grasp. I've never got my head round the risk / reward equation of the Pananka vs bury it in the corner...It feels more like "who we going to make look the biggest arse" and the odds seem fairly high that the answer is going to be the penalty taker.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:14 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:10 am
Well that, and there's clearly too many letters in Panenka for them to grasp. I've never got my head round the risk / reward equation of the Pananka vs bury it in the corner...It feels more like "who we going to make look the biggest arse" and the odds seem fairly high that the answer is going to be the penalty taker.
If I was teaching kids to take penalties, the Alan Shearer videos would be out. Not those of some smart-arsed prick attempting to make the keeper look foolish.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:56 pm

Austria play Germany tonight to see who gets the next semi final spot. How nice it would be if the Hills were alive with the sound of music...Can't see it mind, but stranger things have happened... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:55 pm

So, the Germans join us in the semis (not playing us though) They looked deadly dangerous tonight although there were chances at both ends. Austria hit the bar and a post .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:00 pm

the Lionesses will find out tonight who they play in the semi final: Sweden Women or Belgium Women.. Preferable I think to France or Holland, but you never know. Won't be a cake walk either way.

Edit:

So it's England, and Sweden (who scored the only goal in added time ) next Tuesday 26th. . Got to find a way to stop Asslani who never stopped attacking all game. Tough on Belgium, but Sweden were by far the bettor team. Beat them (the girls will have to be at their best) and it's England and Germany in the final if they beat the winner of France/Holland of course.. Come on girls, you can do it... :oyea: