Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:04 pm
Thumping win, 2 great goals. Well done girlys 👏
Now run along, you pretty little things and make us a lovely pot of tea. :lol:
:lol:

Think I'd better come to H.G's rescue (before the tumbril arrives) and say that was obviously a typing error. What say you H.G? :spank:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:10 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:04 pm
Thumping win, 2 great goals. Well done girlys 👏
Now run along, you pretty little things and make us a lovely pot of tea. :lol:
:lol:

Think I'd better come to H.G's rescue (before the tumbril arrives) and say that was obviously a typing error. What say you H.G? :spank:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:25 am

Just joshing obvs :D

I've seen a few comments on social media criticising the Swedish keeper for the 3rd goal which is just bonkers in my view. Russo(?) did so well to win the ball back and that ingenuity and technique was top drawer. It was probably the last thing the unsighted keeper was expecting and she avoids blame for me. Not so much for the 4th goal though which was really bad but the game was won by then.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:05 am

I've enjoyed the games I've watched so far and will watch the final. Really glad to see every couple of years the standard improving massively consistently. Professionalism has massively helped. The gap between England and say, amateur Northern Ireland was insane.

I know it's hack, but they do really need to sort the keeping though. I thought the keeper was at fault for the third and fourth. And the first she wasn't at fault but it's still gone pretty much in the middle of the goal. I know, I know, but make the nets smaller.

It's been good though!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:42 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:05 am
I've enjoyed the games I've watched so far and will watch the final. Really glad to see every couple of years the standard improving massively consistently. Professionalism has massively helped. The gap between England and say, amateur Northern Ireland was insane.

I know it's hack, but they do really need to sort the keeping though. I thought the keeper was at fault for the third and fourth. And the first she wasn't at fault but it's still gone pretty much in the middle of the goal. I know, I know, but make the nets smaller.

It's been good though!
Interesting innit.

I thought the standard had actually decreased from the WC (maybe because US aren't in the Euros). Even though the gaps between haves and have-nots (England/NI) has increased.

If I was being critical of defending (which I often am regarding Bolton's defence for balance), First goal, Mead had about 15 minutes with no one near her with not a challenge in sight. Second, the defender on the post has fcuked off to read a book or something. Third goal, I had the keeper down for too, reactions were poor and it was actually a really poor miss from Russo on the 6 yard shot initially (bit like Hemp's 4 yard effort a few minutes earlier that she hit row Z with). 4th goal even Karius might have saved.

In fairness to the backheel, it was flat and long. I shall resist any comparisons to an ironing board.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:56 pm

All the spotlights are focussed on our goals and goalscorers, but I'm giving a big vote for our goalkeeper and defenders.

Mary Earps has made some brilliant and inspired saves that were just as critical as the goals. Okay, the usually totally competent Lucy Bronze ( who has had five knee ops in her career) had an off day at right back, but fortunately the rest were ace. Rachel Daly is a right back and We have two left backs, Jess Carter and Demi Stokes, but Sarina was wise enough to put Alex Greenwood in who just a bit quicker than both. Stanway, Toone and Walsh can all play defensive midfield and Jill Scott, who is usually a sub these days, is a hard-as-nails box to box player. The hub of defence, magic Millie Bright and Captain Leah Williamson were both flawless as central defence. Millie's original C.D. partner, Steph Houghton (wife of Bolton'ts Julian Darby) had a bad injury and isn't quite there yet.

Rest of the attack force have had plenty mention, and in addition, Nikita Parris is also worth mention as a winger, but without a top defence we probably wouldn't be here.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:44 pm

So, it's England v Germany; 66 all over again Sunday, with the female version the main attraction. Tonight was a savage scrap with France proving if you don't take your chances, you lose. Germany were frighteningly efficient and with the crazy new rules of cage-fighting on grass being the norm for refereeing, anything can happen in the final. I commented Lucy Bronze was way below par against the Swedes Tuesday and it transpires she played with an injury, which was a bit risky to say the least. Hope she's okay for Sunday, but Barcelona ( her career club)may not be over-pleased if she get another injury.

There are no racist undertones at all meant in saying Germany will cheat, foul, play-act like Shakespeare actors and dive like the Tom Daley fan club, so toughness, both physical and mental will be needed. They are also a fast,skilled unit in all areas so the Lionesses will have to play out of their skins as they'll be at us from the off. No predictions now, just hope and a prayer . Go get em girls.... :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:11 pm

Well, here it is (tomorrow 5-0'clock that is), the girls' moment of truth. Can they do it? Yes, if they keep the Germans out. They play good football and the hungry wolves game and I'm predicting they'll be howling "foul" at the ref every time they get near our box. No point saying much more except "Good Luck Girls", so well, er Good Luck Girls. I'll be cheering you on and hoping Sweet Caroline will oust Lilly Marlene as the music choice..

Go get em Millie.... :oyea: :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:48 pm

Better team first 45. Need to make it count...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 pm

Bit scrappy and once or twice they've chose the wrong options but England the better side. Germans nearest to a goal though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:55 pm

Not watched a lot of this tournament but to my untrained eye England have struggled since they started trying to hit the big option up front and as the midfield gaps opened it only suited Germany. Not sure trying to lengthen the pitch was the way to close this out.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:58 pm

Sensational pass and finish for our goal, but there’s an air of inevitability about it now. Hope I’m wrong!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 pm
Bit scrappy and once or twice they've chose the wrong options but England the better side. Germans nearest to a goal though.
Did you cheer our goal Harry?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 pm

Dug deep that 15. Thought they were out for the count near end of the 90.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:35 pm

Go on! Unbelievable first goal tbf. Smashing!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:57 pm

Great win. Thank fcuk it didn't stay 1-0, them pie chuckers would be claiming it...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:06 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 pm
Did you cheer our goal Harry?
Of course. Missed the equaliser but saw the winner.

Not the best performance and Germany possibly the better side today but England easily the best side in the tournament and deserved winners.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:12 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:58 pm
Sensational pass and finish for our goal, but there’s an air of inevitability about it now. Hope I’m wrong!
So glad I was wrong. Well done, England!

I wish we could see out the last 5 minutes with a 1 goal lead as well as that!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Buzzing here. Not a fan particularly of the mens international team, too many characters from other teams I dislike, so struggle to get behind them in the way I have done the lionesses.

Thrilled to see our gooner girls Williamson and Mead having such great tournaments and loving just how much my son (and by the sounds of it the rest of his U12 lads football team) have got so invested in it. The next generation won’t grow up like so many men I know or see commenting on Twitter or Facebook who don’t take womens football seriously. It’s on their screens, in their football magazines, seen as normal and they embrace it. Nobody is trying to say they are better then the mens team but then you can’t compare Bolton’s ability to Man City’s and people enjoy watching them all the same (apparently ;)) . Pleased to see lots of men I know, enjoy and get behind it, and to the few misogynistic idiots who have nothing better to do then try and drag it down with scathing or sexist comments, well that says more about them then anything else.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:42 pm

You can't compare Arsenal's to Man City either...Last 5 years results...3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 2-0, 3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 0-2, 1-0, 4-1, 1-0, 5-0, 2-1 🤣🤣🤣