Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:14 am

Chelsea don’t have much patience, Tuchel sacked already!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:08 pm

Chelsea, Charlton, Church Road Rovers? Times are changing at the speed of light. Money moguls in general have little patience if the ackers cease to come in at speed. Football managers are no longer Bill Shankleys, or Alex Fergusons. Here today gone tomorrow was never more true. I honestly can't see why women seem intent on getting in the same snake pit football is already in. Money of course. What sportsmen/women can't combat is age. 35 is almost pensioner level in football particularly. Just as an example, two of England women stalwarts, Ellen White and Jill Scott have just retired ahead of next year's World Cup, that's a blow. A compensation of sorts is that even the mighty U.S.A will find the same problems. Megan Rapinoe (she of the pink hair) is now 37 and Alex Morgan 33. Rapinoe ruled the last world cup and is a superb footballing talent so that may be a huge plus...may?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:14 am
Chelsea don’t have much patience, Tuchel sacked already!
A man who had won the pinnacle of club football. And they want to replace him with Graham Potter. An absolute joke of a decision. Potter might be brilliant but he’s barely out of nappies and has done a good job at Brighton but that’s it. A good job. What a ridiculous decision. He will do well to last a year.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:24 am

Anyone see the Scotland Ukraine game last night?

The 'tackle' by Bondar on Adams was an absolute shocker. How he only got a yellow (insert pretend best friend's name here) alone knows!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:48 pm

I liked Dean Martin and Sophia Loren. Beyond that and the Vatican there's not much Italian to like. We lost I-0 to a bunch of diving, play-acting time-wasting cheats and a homer ref.Sad thing is they are a classy football team who don't need any of it. :evil:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:20 am

They're absolutely awful. We've got a once in a lifetime striker being wasted by that wet sap in charge. Woeful. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:20 am
They're absolutely awful. We've got a once in a lifetime striker being wasted by that wet sap in charge. Woeful. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen.
Apparently, England have now failed to score from open play in over 450 minutes.
Their last goal from open play in a competitive match came against San Marino in November 2021.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:21 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:20 am
Hardly that for me, but can't argue where we are concerned. . The football was played by the Italians and we were as effective as shouting boo at a ghost train; a bunch of panicking clucking hens when somebody shots !"Fox!" We think beating North Macedonia and Moldova and co makes us a team to go places. What use was possession football with no teeth? This shows our tickets to Morningtown are always "Ida y Revuelta."and the referees' handbooks must be written by C.S.Lewis. He totally ignored at least one stone-cold penalty claim. The Italians, well, what did we expect?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 pm

No one's surprised surely? Losing as soon as we face decent opposition has been the England way as long as I've been around.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am

Oh for eleven Jack Grealishes. He was the difference from a totally poor England performance, and I make no apologies for saying I could have stopped the Italian striker for getting that shot at goal. I've had a bag of crisps harder to open than our defence. World Cup...dream on...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am
Oh for eleven Jack Grealishes.
Not that I would wish an injury on anyone, but I do prefer to see England players leave the field post Italy game in bloodstained bandages, not adjusting their Alice band.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Can our top bods put on a decent fight against the Rhinestone Cowboys? Time to see. 7-45 kickoff on Channel 4.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:37 pm

Think we shaded that 45, without ever looking like we should've been three up at the break...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 pm

Drop Luke Shaw. Somebody tell him which way we're kicking. Not hit an English player with a single pass so far. Sterling is a spent show pony. At one time he was unplayable, now he's unpickable. He's had three clear chances and never looked like scoring. Our game plan is less effective than blow football. Very second best regardless of the 0-0 scoreline.

Part two...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Maguire's a fcuking donkey.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:50 pm

Better second half going forwards. Disaster at the back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Mason Mount a big improvement on a poor Sterling, and Saka made a difference too, although he should have nailed it for us. Much better performance but we need a defence overall because the Germans bossed our box. Why oh why do we keep backing off instead of tackling.? That and ball watching need a big sort out. Indeed the rules of the game bible needs rewriting. Even the refs don't seem confident in their own decisions.

As for Goalkeepers....ours is Sunday pub level and the German Bruce Grobbelar ..well, nuff said.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:23 pm

I think on Pope. Obvious error for their third. Not sure he could do much around the penalty and their second goal..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:04 am

On MaGuire, I wish I could argue as I normally like him and the way he gets forward, but he's a defender first and foremost and last couple of games he can't defend himself on. That said it was Pope's awful blunder that cost us the game in the end. Harry Kane did well and his speed was impressive but Bellingham not so much. Rashford for me, is a better option. Stones may be finished at international level from injury but I'd keep Maguire and Dyer in there. We had chances enough, but couldn't take them; unless our all round game improves we're not even contenders.

Germany's passing game and hitting their targets was impressive but made look more-so by our bad defending. Kyle Walker was solid, but we need a better number 3 than Shaw who, despite scoring ( he did manage to hit the goalie with that) didn't hit an England player even from throw-ins and spends too much time gesticulating (oh, okay, pointing then :oops: ) and shouting the odds and passes backwards too often.. Mason Mount would be first on the sheet for me. Saka in and Sterling on the bench. Over to you Gareth...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:12 am

How does Maguire get in this England team when Ben White Is sitting at home on his backside?