Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:11 pm

Having considered your post from many angles, I'm still at fcuk 'em.

Qualified by playing a "home" play-off against a war torn nation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:11 pm

Qualified to go out in the group stages. Great achievement but we will thump them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:11 pm

Qualified to go out in the group stages. Great achievement but we will thump them.
Not playing like we did against Hungary, we won't. I'm a lifetime England fan, but Germany will smash us (next game) unless we make some changes.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:00 pm

Also an England Wales game much more exciting than one against Ukraine.
They'll be bloody insufferable if they beat us.

All of a sudden, all these Welsh types who ordinarily couldn't give two hoots about football will be on the phone singing Men of Harlech.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:04 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

All of a sudden, all these Welsh types who ordinarily couldn't give two hoots about football will be on the phone singing Men of Harlech.
About the only upside is the first time they've qualified since black and white tellys were a thing and The Purple People Eater was top of the charts, is that it's in Qatar where drinking in public is a crime. Some might get beheaded.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:29 pm

1966 and all that. Not the Normans, but the Germans tonight as we invade Munich. Quite a few unfamiliar names in the German side (and probably ours) and we'll really have to be a fair bit better than when we lost to Hungary last game. If Shaw isn't injured
Id expect to see him in at left back with Harry Maguire going more central. Bowen is a new boy and Sterling should come back in as may Stones and Henderson.

Come on you Three Lions... :oyea:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:02 pm

If he plays an experimental, or defensive side against these and loses, there'll be a few people calling for his head

It's incredible that he's the most successful manager in most of our lifetimes, but yet still doesn't really inspire much confidence. Perhaps we're just scared
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:07 pm

Records will read 1-1 draw in Germany, but it was the Germans that impressed. Classy football and surprised they haven't won any yet. Three draws. We had our chances but they always looked the more dangerous.. Glad Kane scored, he works hard enough but is a bit off the boil. Same with Sterling. Grealish again the difference for us. Football isn't only played with the feet anymore. Muller gets on my wick with his moaning and appealing for everything. Okay, he a top striker, but....and I have never liked Neur but he made a couple of top saves tonight.

Oh, and Kyle Walker managed to take a throw in in less then a minute. Record.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:37 pm

Aye. Second best tonight...but we'll take an away point.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:15 am

I thought we created some great, clear-cut chances. Despite being a disjointed performance, we had enough to win the game twice over
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:03 am

:laugh: :lol: If you're going to fix matches, at least have a good go at it!
South African clubs banned for life after two games see 41 own goals scored with results of 33-1 and 59-1

South African fourth-tier sides Matiyasi FC, Shivulani Dangerous Tigers, Kotoko Happy Boys and Nsami Mighty Birds have been banned for life after being found guilty of fixing matches. Tigers and Matiyasi were fighting for the top position to gain promotion; the former claimed a 33-1 win over Happy Boys as Matiyasi defeated Mighty Birds 59-1.

This obviously caught the attention of administrators and investigations were done, with the clubs found guilty.

What happened in the South African fourth division?

"Our investigation found Matiyasi and Nsami wanted to stop Shivulani, who at the time were leading with a three-point gap and a goal difference of 16, from topping the league so they agreed on fixing the match to prevent this from happening," Vincent Ramphago, who is the president of the Mopani region, told BBC Sport Africa.

"After hearing Matiyasi were leading 22-0 at half-time, Shivulani colluded to have Kotoko Happy Boys remove players from the field. The players who came off said they were tired, leaving their team with only seven players.

"In the Matiyasi game meanwhile, the referee gave players red cards so that ended up with seven players.

"When the teams had previously met in March, the scorelines were considerably more sober, with Matiyasi beating Mighty Birds 2-1 while Dangerous Tigers drew 2-2 with Happy Boys."

The administrator further said that many of the goals had not even been properly registered by match officials.

"We found the referee was just writing - 'player number 2 scored 10 goals, player number 5 scored 20 goals' and so on - but there were 41 own goals so how were they recording these?", he said.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:43 am

Hansie Cronje was an amateur. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:04 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ah, now then...if the Welsh have one redeeming feature it's their Male Voice choirs. I freely confess I love to hear them. England have brass bands, Scotland the bagpipes and Ireland their ceilidhs, but Wales can do it A-Cappella and still sound Heavenly. Sorry :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Some nice football on display ( when we finally got transmission at half time) in the England v Kosovo U21s'. England won 5-0. A few decent young players out there, Archer, Aaron etc. Hope for the future.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:47 pm

0-0 with Italy. Decent game, new faces did well; Timori was a rock in defence and an intelligent one at that. M.O.T.M Grealish streets ahead of the rest in his thinking and anticipation. Not a Kane game unless he scores early and gets subbed later. As might be expected, a physical affair but good to see us doing our bit and not being bullied.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 pm

England under 21s' lost 1-2 to Slovenia.We simply couldn't dominate or break down a determined midfield and defence . Their first goal was a header scored by an England defender from a dodgy free kick decision by a seemingly pro Slovenia ref. Their second was a bullet header which, whilst good, should have been defended better. We only seemed to wake up i the last twenty minutes when we scored a good goal, and by then it was way too late. Another example of a determined physical side beating the fancy Dans.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:42 pm

England 0 Hungary 4. Not sure where Southgate's head is at at the moment. Totally outplayed by a far better team. Kane looks lost wandering around, half the players are newcomers and Saka just isn't up for this level. Ref a total pancake, sent Stones off for a blatant con ; not the first, by the Magyars.

Not sure where Grealish is? Bringing Harry Maguire on with five minutes to play and 3-0 down; what was that about? Damage limitation? Didn't matter, they scored again. 4-0 is embarrassing for a supposed good side. In short, we were rubbish. Unsurprisingly, we're bottom of our league , lost two, drawn 2, won none.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:42 pm
England 0 Hungary 4. Not sure where Southgate's head is at at the moment. Totally outplayed by a far better team. Kane looks lost wandering around, half the players are newcomers and Saka just isn't up for this level. Ref a total pancake, sent Stones off for a blatant con ; not the first, by the Magyars.
This ref was the one who reffed the CL final. Expected better from him but yet again we're left looking at refereeing decisions against Hungary in utter bemusement. Dodgy penalty first game against Hungary and dodgy yellow to send off Stones.

Saka was awful.

Southgate seems like he doesn't know how to change a match for the better. So many instances of chances to change games but no clear improvements made. When its not working, it continues to not work. Southgate needs some tactical help.

As much as we can turn around and say the players are tired after a long season, i'm fairly certain that we can make an argument for players staking their claim for a place in the World Cup.

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:42 pm
Not sure where Grealish is? Bringing Harry Maguire on with five minutes to play and 3-0 down; what was that about? Damage limitation? Didn't matter, they scored again. 4-0 is embarrassing for a supposed good side. In short, we were rubbish. Unsurprisingly, we're bottom of our league , lost two, drawn 2, won none.
Maguire is a like for like sub after Stones got sent off for being on the pitch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:04 pm

That just looked like a makeshift XI...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:56 pm

Regardless of the spin, these games are still ultimately friendlies. Training sessions. Exactly the games in which we find out who and what does and doesn't work.

I really couldn't give two hoots about the result.