Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8560
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:52 am
That's all true and fair enough but at elite sport basically all men are better than all women. And while the England women's team would beat my Saturday football team no-one is going to pay them professionally to do so. We've just come off a weird spell of people literally arguing that there is no male advantage and it's all social (women were apparently banned from football due to the risk of them showing men up in the 1920's :eyeroll: )

Thankfully reason seems to broadly be taking hold and most sports governing bodies seem to be leaning towards a female category and then an open category (I think maybe swimming recently had female, male, and open where, unsurprisingly they had zero entrants to the open category). That seems clearly to be the answer to me.
My daughter swims competitively and the categories appear to be either female or male/open which I assume is for the transgender swimmers. Not sure how many there are among the 13 year olds she competes against though!

That’s said if you open it up to all gender categories…. My friends son is looking to apply for 6th form colleges and filling in applications, this one she showed me last night (college based in Brighton, perhaps not unsurprisingly) left me a tad confused I have to say.
Attachments
IMG_6544.png
IMG_6544.png (2.51 MiB) Viewed 6906 times

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32118
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:22 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:46 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:00 am
So Everton have got a large point deduction. What do we reckon Man City might (eventually) get?!
About the same as Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United? Coz they're all at it?
Not sure any of the others have been charged if they are….
Utd were fined for an FFP breach this year. Arsenal and Chelsea both have some "creative accounting" being looked at - Chelsea allegedly loopholing by accounting 8/9 year contracts. I'd be surprised if there wasn't the odd skeleton somewhere for Liverpool.

FFP is currently farcical and it's somewhat unclear what represents "stretched a rule" vs "broke a rule." It's also weighted towards bigger Clubs and penalises smaller ones, which is exactly what it was designed to do.

User avatar
Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9080
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:03 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:52 am
That's all true and fair enough but at elite sport basically all men are better than all women. And while the England women's team would beat my Saturday football team no-one is going to pay them professionally to do so. We've just come off a weird spell of people literally arguing that there is no male advantage and it's all social (women were apparently banned from football due to the risk of them showing men up in the 1920's :eyeroll: )

Thankfully reason seems to broadly be taking hold and most sports governing bodies seem to be leaning towards a female category and then an open category (I think maybe swimming recently had female, male, and open where, unsurprisingly they had zero entrants to the open category). That seems clearly to be the answer to me.
My daughter swims competitively and the categories appear to be either female or male/open which I assume is for the transgender swimmers. Not sure how many there are among the 13 year olds she competes against though!

That’s said if you open it up to all gender categories…. My friends son is looking to apply for 6th form colleges and filling in applications, this one she showed me last night (college based in Brighton, perhaps not unsurprisingly) left me a tad confused I have to say.
:shock:

Bloody hell!

I thought Gender fluid, Gender neutral and non binary were all the same thing.

I'm curious what 'Other' could be too if you dont fit into any of the other categories.

Hope that doesn't make me a terf. I'm still coming to terms with being a gammon.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3733
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:03 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:52 am
That's all true and fair enough but at elite sport basically all men are better than all women. And while the England women's team would beat my Saturday football team no-one is going to pay them professionally to do so. We've just come off a weird spell of people literally arguing that there is no male advantage and it's all social (women were apparently banned from football due to the risk of them showing men up in the 1920's :eyeroll: )

Thankfully reason seems to broadly be taking hold and most sports governing bodies seem to be leaning towards a female category and then an open category (I think maybe swimming recently had female, male, and open where, unsurprisingly they had zero entrants to the open category). That seems clearly to be the answer to me.
My daughter swims competitively and the categories appear to be either female or male/open which I assume is for the transgender swimmers. Not sure how many there are among the 13 year olds she competes against though!

That’s said if you open it up to all gender categories…. My friends son is looking to apply for 6th form colleges and filling in applications, this one she showed me last night (college based in Brighton, perhaps not unsurprisingly) left me a tad confused I have to say.
:shock:

Bloody hell!

I thought Gender fluid, Gender neutral and non binary were all the same thing.

I'm curious what 'Other' could be too if you dont fit into any of the other categories.

Hope that doesn't make me a terf. I'm still coming to terms with being a gammon.
Boomer! 😉

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43034
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:33 pm

Okay, I give in.I don't get out much. What's a "terf" and a gammon ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8560
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:06 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:03 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:52 am
That's all true and fair enough but at elite sport basically all men are better than all women. And while the England women's team would beat my Saturday football team no-one is going to pay them professionally to do so. We've just come off a weird spell of people literally arguing that there is no male advantage and it's all social (women were apparently banned from football due to the risk of them showing men up in the 1920's :eyeroll: )

Thankfully reason seems to broadly be taking hold and most sports governing bodies seem to be leaning towards a female category and then an open category (I think maybe swimming recently had female, male, and open where, unsurprisingly they had zero entrants to the open category). That seems clearly to be the answer to me.
My daughter swims competitively and the categories appear to be either female or male/open which I assume is for the transgender swimmers. Not sure how many there are among the 13 year olds she competes against though!

That’s said if you open it up to all gender categories…. My friends son is looking to apply for 6th form colleges and filling in applications, this one she showed me last night (college based in Brighton, perhaps not unsurprisingly) left me a tad confused I have to say.
:shock:

Bloody hell!

I thought Gender fluid, Gender neutral and non binary were all the same thing.

I'm curious what 'Other' could be too if you dont fit into any of the other categories.

Hope that doesn't make me a terf. I'm still coming to terms with being a gammon.
I’m near enough a generation younger than you and I don’t have a clue either! I’ll ask the kids! They learn about this stuff in school these days…

User avatar
Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9080
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:33 pm
Okay, I give in.I don't get out much. What's a "terf" and a gammon ?
TERF is an acronym I think TD but I'm unsure. It's a word that gets thrown at the likes of JK Rowling when people accuse her of being transphobic.

Gammon is a term levelled at White, Middle aged males who get riled up about Brexit.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32118
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:45 am

Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist...the sort that dare to ask questions like "should that bloke convicted of raping women be allowed to declare themselves now a woman and go to a women's prison?" And "should that bloke who still looks like a bloke actually be allowed into a refuge for women who've experienced domestic violence and are living in fear of their male ex-partner finding them?" That sorta radical...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43034
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks for the info H.G. and Worthy. Glad to see I don't fit in those categories. I've ignored most of those things since "SQUARE" and "HIPPIES" were in vogue. ( Aye, that long ago) The English language already has far more words the it needs. Our G.S.T. ( glass surface technician) came yesterday. We used to call him a window cleaner. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13301
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:08 am

Well, well!
The person who prompted these posts has quit playing in female leagues because other teams refused to play against her.
One does wonder about the motives behind the gender change when the past history emerged.

"A transgender footballer forced to quit a women's league after opposing teams refused to play against her has a secret past as a sex worker who dressed up as a ‘mischievous schoolgirl’ for paying clients".

:conf:

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32118
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:50 am

And therein lies the main problem. I don't give much of a hoot what he did in his secret past, if it's legal, crack on. I don't mind if he wants to identify as something else, but we shouldn't be setting laws on that basis.

The answer isn't as simple as "there's men and women." And it certainly isn't "Some sky being created it thus." It's - for me - some people are very obviously using it to take the pi$$, and somewhere between men and women, there is certainly a group of people for whom, that's not a very straightforward binary question. Those people are the ones that are going to be let down by the "debate."

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23898
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:18 pm

Newcastle been robbed by one of the worst decisions I've seen in a long time, there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27972
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:20 pm

Magnifique/magnifiek

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 43034
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:32 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:59 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:33 pm
Okay, I give in.I don't get out much. What's a "terf" and a gammon ?
TERF is an acronym I think TD but I'm unsure.
I had actually heard of a Terf Accountant but thought it was about horses. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8560
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:12 am

Just about defrosted from a cracking night watching Arsenal on Wednesday. Made cheerier by news coming through beforehand that Man U had thrown away a lead against Galatasary :lol:

User avatar
Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23898
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:17 pm

Remi getting on for Palace here!

Don't pass it to their forwards, eh
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 32118
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:48 pm

Don't think Traff's going to get cold here...

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: Plymouth Argyle - Watford

Post by MattySlug » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:57 am



I watched this game on delay over the course of two or three days and I love this game it reaffirmed my love of Sports and everything else as well.

These are the 11 or so minute extended highlights

Some great great goals and also saves of the game!

User avatar
Mar
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4796
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Plymouth Argyle - Watford

Post by Mar » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:11 pm

MattySlug wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:57 am


I watched this game on delay over the course of two or three days and I love this game it reaffirmed my love of Sports and everything else as well.

These are the 11 or so minute extended highlights

Some great great goals and also saves of the game!
Cheers for sharing, well worth the time if anyone hasn't seen it.

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by MattySlug » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Thank you Mar ❤️

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests