Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 11:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:33 am
Aye - but they were still 4th in the "Away" table, they only lost 5 away all season...with MKD 9th in the "Home" table, they also lost 5 at home. Wycombe have lost 2 at MKD this season, both by an odd goal...

So taking everything into consideration, I'm non the wiser. :-)
They're both very good sides. This is the thing about next season and why it's not going to the the parade some Bolton fans think.

I was confident we'd make the play-offs, but everyone at the top just kept winning and it was us who fell short.

This is both a really winnable league and hellish difficult.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 06, 2022 11:50 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:38 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:33 am
Aye - but they were still 4th in the "Away" table, they only lost 5 away all season...with MKD 9th in the "Home" table, they also lost 5 at home. Wycombe have lost 2 at MKD this season, both by an odd goal...

So taking everything into consideration, I'm non the wiser. :-)
They're both very good sides. This is the thing about next season and why it's not going to the the parade some Bolton fans think.

I was confident we'd make the play-offs, but everyone at the top just kept winning and it was us who fell short.

This is both a really winnable league and hellish difficult.
Yeah - you're talking to someone who never thought we'd make it this season. I think 3rd to 7th will be a more achievable target for us next year. I'm certainly not on HMS Pisstheleague....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 11:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:50 am
Yeah - you're talking to someone who never thought we'd make it this season. I think 3rd to 7th will be a more achievable target for us next year. I'm certainly not on HMS Pisstheleague....
This season isn't radically different from last season, other than we have a much better baseline to work from and more money.

We still need to have an amazing window to get out of this division.

We can win the league. So can about 15 other sides. Most of them will be a bit crap. Hopefully we're not.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 06, 2022 5:26 pm

Anyone who thinks we will storm the league no problem is obviously not used to watching Bolton wanderers or indeed football. Tough league. We can win it with the right signings and a fair wind. We could also finish mid table. I’m hoping we get it right and at least hit top 6.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 6:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:26 pm
Anyone who thinks we will storm the league no problem is obviously not used to watching Bolton wanderers or indeed football. Tough league. We can win it with the right signings and a fair wind. We could also finish mid table. I’m hoping we get it right and at least hit top 6.
The defensive shape is much better now. We've got our patterns and triggers drilled down in 3-4 different systems. Partnerships are forming up front. We absolutely never quit.

Set piece are still an issue, but it's 100% about recruitment and preseason being injury-free.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Huge mistake from the Wednesday defender to let Sunderland score. Wednesday has a shocking half really.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 6:52 pm

Utd are losing 4-0 at Brighton. There's a lot to say about the vindication of modern football recruitment and coaching, but ultimately it's just very funny.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 6:52 pm
Utd are losing 4-0 at Brighton. There's a lot to say about the vindication of modern football recruitment and coaching, but ultimately it's just very funny.
Man Utd’s problems come down to desperately poor owners and poor folk running it. Appointed bad managers then got good ones and shown no patience. Finally settled on an absolute joke in Solskjaer.

I’m interested in what part of modern football recruitment you’d sign Pogba who in my view is one of the biggest frauds in English football I’ve ever seen. But I guess there will be a new definition thrown out to explain that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 8:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Man Utd’s problems come down to desperately poor owners and poor folk running it. Appointed bad managers then got good ones and shown no patience. Finally settled on an absolute joke in Solskjaer.

I’m interested in what part of modern football recruitment you’d sign Pogba who in my view is one of the biggest frauds in English football I’ve ever seen. But I guess there will be a new definition thrown out to explain that.
I'm not sure what you read that to mean, but the vindicated modern methods belong to Brighton, not Utd.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 07, 2022 9:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:14 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I'm not sure what you read that to mean, but the vindicated modern methods belong to Brighton, not Utd.
I was talking about Man City currently being in talks to sign Pogba according to a series of reports.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 9:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:15 pm
I was talking about Man City currently being in talks to sign Pogba according to a series of reports.
Oh, fair enough. The report I saw was that his agent (same as Haaland) had offered them Pogba. I don't think it's a planned transfer, so it would be out of character - they'd definitely have a meeting about being offered a players like Pogba, though. De Bruyne needs his minutes managing and they have some young mids who need 2-3 seasons before they're ready to step up. The Pogba at Utd and the Pogba elsewhere are very different players, so it depends what their team think they'd get from him. If they think they'd get Juve Pogba for 3 seasons they might go for it.

Purely as a personal view, I think he'd do well with Rodri behind him; but I don't think they'll do the deal. I could be wrong, but it feels like an agent trying to get his guy a bigger offer elsewhere.

Probably worth noting that, for a fraud, 10 goal involvements in 16 starts this season is pretty impressive.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 07, 2022 11:14 pm

Yes, Son. Yes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Really good game this between MK Dons and Wycombe. High technical level, played at pace, etc....love it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 08, 2022 8:27 pm

Was a good game.

A proper football club wins. A bunch of plastics loses.

Can’t ask for much more than that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 08, 2022 8:35 pm

Yup. I think MK Dons are a very well-run club, but they're also a crime scene. They're the only club where if they folded I'd find it hard to feel bad for them. If they'd have gone up with AFC going down it would have felt very wrong.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Think City will be happy they waited a year.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm
People seem to have forgotten they also have Alvarez coming in, who is a superb prospect. City are getting in two of the finest 18-yard-box predators in world football, both for bargain prices by current standards.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 pm

Harry Kane’s chances of winning summat 👋

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm
People seem to have forgotten they also have Alvarez coming in, who is a superb prospect. City are getting in two of the finest 18-yard-box predators in world football, both for bargain prices by current standards.
And Pep's figured out Jesus is a striker...

Might not be there though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 10, 2022 10:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 pm
And Pep's figured out Jesus is a striker...

Might not be there though.
No. Same with Sterling. City are replacing very good players with world class (and potentially world class) ones. Interesting times.