We aren't the only club to reverse it's fortunes!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

We aren't the only club to reverse it's fortunes!

Post by Enoch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:39 pm

I was going to take in the 'Mighty Ebbsfleet' today, as they spiral into oblivion; a knock at the door late last evening saw my plans revised. A trip to see our promotion rivals and Freedman's old charges Crystal Palace was offered and that means free beer!

For the first time ever, I felt sorry for my host. The fans can't make their mind up who they hate most, Freedman or Holloway. The atmosphere was worse than when Burley was propping the bar up. The only cheer of note all game came when Leicester scored!

If they contrive to miss out on the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in their usual position, staring into the abyss of administration. The Zaha millions don't go far when paying off 2010's loans and Holloway's compensation. To think there were those that were happy to see the back of Freedman and the appointment of Holloway, shocking. He's transformed them from a well oiled machine into an ill disciplined rabble and I don't sense he's even had to try.

In the unlikely event we finish above them, I will find it hard not to lose a friend. :)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: We aren't the only club to reverse it's fortunes!

Post by Enoch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Talking of reversals, the closest Football League ground to home for me is Priestfield Stadium, I might just take in next season's Gillingham v Blackburn!

:D

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm

:D

Ouch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:57 am

Enoch wrote:I was going to take in the 'Mighty Ebbsfleet' today, as they spiral into oblivion
Isn't it Ebbsfleet that are owned by several hundred shareholders that get to pick the team between them, or am I confusing them with someone else?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Correct, in so much as they are owned by 'myfootballclub', though I doubt they have much say on who gets to play.

As Gravesend & Northfleet the club has a good history, but like so many clubs, a succession of chairmen blessed with more ego than sense, plus plenty of money being syphoned off, has reduced them to a bit of a laughing stock.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Enoch wrote:Correct, in so much as they are owned by 'myfootballclub', though I doubt they have much say on who gets to play.

As Gravesend & Northfleet the club has a good history, but like so many clubs, a succession of chairmen blessed with more ego than sense, plus plenty of money being syphoned off, has reduced them to a bit of a laughing stock.
Modern Colne Dynamoes and Rushden & Diamonds then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:16 pm

It will be a great shame if 'The Fleet' go under.

Over the years some quality has plied it's trade at Stonebridge Road. To name a few, Jimmy Logie, Ted Ditchburn, more recently Jimmy Bullard and a certain Woy Hodgson stayed for two and a half years, which was actually the pinnacle of his playing career.

There's at least one old Boltonian too, the inimitable Barry Fry enjoyed brief stays at both clubs.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:02 pm

On the back of not being able to get to Bristol today, I crept at half time to watch Ebbsfleet be relegated from the Conference Premier.

I did hear there's a new owner type fella waiting in the wings, hope he's not another of those 'look at me' type football club owner pricks.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 pm

The 'Fleet' have a suitor, Carlos Kabir Karani, claims to be Spanish!

Mr Karani plans to use Ebbsfleet as a development base for talented young players from the Canary Islands. The club still owes around £25,000 in tax to HMRC but, despite the complications involved, Mr Karani insisted he still wants to work with the Fleet Trust and take charge at Stonebridge Road.

"My investors are in big business discussions in India, China and Panama, with big companies. It’s hard to get hold of them. On Friday, we will be able to have a final situation of what’s going to happen."

Why doesn't this fill me with confidence?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Well what can I say!

Mr Karani and his backers have thus far come through. The place is looking better than it has for years and the squad looks good enough to go straight back up, not many Manuels about mind.

Today's fixture used to be the longest in the British football calender, Gravesend and Northfleet v Havant and Waterlooville. Before the Nonsense that was myfootballclub and the Ebbsfleet name change. I'm going along to witness the new dawn, I do so hope they revert to the old name.

As for Palace going up, f*ck 'em I say and I haven't had an invite yet. Seems he's got a bunch of new found friends!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 am

By this time last season I'd been to five Palace matches, this term just one and that was against the fashionable Fulham, they were dire! I've been promised another trip shortly!! Reports from Selhurst include news that he (Holloway) was in no uncertain terms told to feck off, that the dressing room has witnessed some proper hand to hand combat and the whole place is a shambles.

It's also the case that their best player, out of contract next summer, has not troubled to sign the deal he was offered this summer. Oh why did they go and get promoted!!

Good luck to whoever gets the gig.

Ebbsfleet are doing ok mind, after a shaky start, they are building a head of steam. Now where have I heard that before!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Enoch wrote:By this time last season I'd been to five Palace matches, this term just one and that was against the fashionable Fulham, they were dire! I've been promised another trip shortly!! Reports from Selhurst include news that he (Holloway) was in no uncertain terms told to feck off, that the dressing room has witnessed some proper hand to hand combat and the whole place is a shambles.

It's also the case that their best player, out of contract next summer, has not troubled to sign the deal he was offered this summer. Oh why did they go and get promoted!!

Good luck to whoever gets the gig.

Ebbsfleet are doing ok mind, after a shaky start, they are building a head of steam. Now where have I heard that before!
Tell me that's Jedinak?
Sto ut Serviam

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Indeed it is.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Fingers crossed he gets injured - a nine monther would be good :)

Their winning the play offs was a massive boot in the bollocks for Freedman, I reckon
Sto ut Serviam

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm inclined to agree (not regard the injury :) ).

A natural leader, good organiser, dominant ball winner, with a decent range of passing. Would he drop back to the Championship? Maybe, if the money was right.

And he can head the ball.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Enoch wrote:I'm inclined to agree (not regard the injury :) ).

A natural leader, good organiser, dominant ball winner, with a decent range of passing. Would he drop back to the Championship? Maybe, if the money was right.

He won't need to....
Sto ut Serviam

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Enoch wrote:I'm inclined to agree (not regard the injury :) ).

He won't need to....
:D Except he won't be dropping back with them, he'll be a free agent and most likely get hoovered up by one of the less fashionable, 'top flight' teams.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:08 am

Such as us :pissed: !
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 am

Good shout! :drink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Good value today for a comfortable 3-1 win. Ebbsfleet are looking like a football team at the moment.

Might yet mount a challenge on a return to the Conference.