Watford

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Watford

Post by wigan white » Tue May 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but if Watford do go up, then surely they're screwed as theyre under a transfer embargo til September this year, for the Loan loophole saga!!! They supposedley only will have 14 players on their books after the loanees go back to their parent club.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Watford

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue May 14, 2013 3:38 pm

wigan white wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but if Watford do go up, then surely they're screwed as theyre under a transfer embargo til September this year, for the Loan loophole saga!!! They supposedley only will have 14 players on their books after the loanees go back to their parent club.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the embargo is undergoing consideration, especially if Watford go up into the Premiership. The article I read outlined the reasons why the Premier League might look favourably on having the embargo overturned, but I can't remember what those reasons were.
Somebody point me to where I read this stuff. (I didn't dream it, honest).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue May 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
wigan white wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but if Watford do go up, then surely they're screwed as theyre under a transfer embargo til September this year, for the Loan loophole saga!!! They supposedley only will have 14 players on their books after the loanees go back to their parent club.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the embargo is undergoing consideration, especially if Watford go up into the Premiership. The article I read outlined the reasons why the Premier League might look favourably on having the embargo overturned, but I can't remember what those reasons were.Somebody point me to where I read this stuff. (I didn't dream it, honest).

It'll be erm, Money.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the embargo is undergoing consideration, especially if Watford go up into the Premiership. The article I read outlined the reasons why the Premier League might look favourably on having the embargo overturned, but I can't remember what those reasons were.Somebody point me to where I read this stuff. (I didn't dream it, honest).

It'll be erm, Money.
:lol:

:hang:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

aefevans
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by aefevans » Wed May 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Watford fan here.

Just to clear a couple of things up, the transfer embargo relates to the handling of the finances of the transfer of Danny Graham to Swansea in the 2011 off-season. Basically our then-owner was doing a bit of third-party embezzlement. This was an entire season before Papa Giampaolo bought the club and has absolutely nothing to do with the Udinese "loans". Udinese aren't going to suddenly recall the players, as Papa Giampaolo wouldn't strip his own business of its assets. We're not owned BY Udinese; we simply share an owner.

Second of all, I can confirm that, under the regulations of our embargo, (which runs until the end of the August transfer window), all our transfers have to be cross-checked by the FA (to make sure we're going about it the right way). Funnily enough, this embargo does not extend to amending the contracts of players already at the club. I can't imagine we will be getting that many (new) players from outside the family trinity next season, but we are by no means banned from signing any players. As we are not in administration we have the finances to trade in the playing market. and the FA wouldn't enforce a ban on us that prevented us from fielding a full match day squad anyway.
Watford FC Ambassador on the Bolton forum.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:05 pm

aefevans wrote:
Watford fan here.

Just to clear a couple of things up, the transfer embargo relates to the handling of the finances of the transfer of Danny Graham to Swansea in the 2011 off-season. Basically our then-owner was doing a bit of third-party embezzlement. This was an entire season before Papa Giampaolo bought the club and has absolutely nothing to do with the Udinese "loans". Udinese aren't going to suddenly recall the players, as Papa Giampaolo wouldn't strip his own business of its assets. We're not owned BY Udinese; we simply share an owner.

Second of all, I can confirm that, under the regulations of our embargo, (which runs until the end of the August transfer window), all our transfers have to be cross-checked by the FA (to make sure we're going about it the right way). Funnily enough, this embargo does not extend to amending the contracts of players already at the club. I can't imagine we will be getting that many (new) players from outside the family trinity next season, but we are by no means banned from signing any players. As we are not in administration we have the finances to trade in the playing market. and the FA wouldn't enforce a ban on us that prevented us from fielding a full match day squad anyway.
Aye, but you will, surely, be royally screwed when your Udinese B-Team goes back next year if you are promoted?

aefevans
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by aefevans » Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Aye, but you will, surely, be royally screwed when your Udinese B-Team goes back next year if you are promoted?
Again, why would they go back? Why would Papa Giampaolo strip his own business of his assets? It is in his own best interests for us to have the players. And even if he did shuffle one or two of the players round, we would be sent decent replacements.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 pm

aefevans wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Again, why would they go back? Why would Papa Giampaolo strip his own business of his assets? It is in his own best interests for us to have the players. And even if he did shuffle one or two of the players round, we would be sent decent replacements.
The players are all loans are they not? So would have to return to their respective clubs at season end. The league is closing the loop hole which allowed you to abuse the system so how would you get them all back without actually buying them?

I can see your owner selling them to Watford for £1 a pop :lol:

aefevans
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by aefevans » Wed May 15, 2013 10:32 pm

ChrisC wrote:
aefevans wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
The players are all loans are they not? So would have to return to their respective clubs at season end. The league is closing the loop hole which allowed you to abuse the system so how would you get them all back without actually buying them?

I can see your owner selling them to Watford for £1 a pop :lol:
The Football League has never actually announced that the loophole would be closed. A couple of newspapers/media outlets just voiced it after Holloway ranted about it.

The players are not conventional loans in the sense that Chalobah and Briggs (on loan from Chelsea and Fulham respectively are). For example, there are players at Granada who have been "on-loan" from Udinese for four seasons straight. The reason they were "loaned" (rather than 'transferred') is because (in Zola's words) the deal went through quite soon before the start of the season. A number of fringe players and bench-warmers at Udinese were asked if they wanted to be involved in the Watford project and all but one agreed (the one who stayed preferred to try his chances at Udinese). My assertion is that while the players would, on paper, be transferred back to Udinese/Granada (as with all players on loan anywhere from anywhere), they would remain at Watford in person and train with the club until they were registered for the next season (although one or two players may change). A couple of players have moved their families and Daniel Pudil (another Udinese import) has found a school in Hertfordshire for his son.

We actually signed Fernando Forestieri permanently in January for free! That's the great thing about this; when it comes to signing players permanently, let's just say that negotiations between the Pozzos and the Pozzos shouldn't take too long.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 pm

I agree that given a choice, your gaffer would probably keep them at Watford. I suspect TV revenue from the Prem would be worth that commitment and I'd be surprised if Udinese B had anything like the same TV wonga.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 am

How many 'loan' players can you field in a premier league match day squad?

I'm sure the limit is more restrictive than the championship?

Anyhow, good luck to Watford, I hope they go up now. Play the best football out of all the championship play off teams.

aefevans
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by aefevans » Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:How many 'loan' players can you field in a premier league match day squad?

Anyhow, good luck to Watford, I hope they go up now. Play the best football out of all the championship play off teams.
Thanks! And I'm not 100% sure, usually Premier League clubs are the ones doing the loaning. All I know is that the international loans rule is FA-devised rather than FL-devised, so the same rule would apply in the Premier League, but ideally we'll be looking more towards permanently signing the players than simply re-loaning them next year.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am

aefevans wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:How many 'loan' players can you field in a premier league match day squad?

Thanks! And I'm not 100% sure, usually Premier League clubs are the ones doing the loaning. All I know is that the international loans rule is FA-devised rather than FL-devised, so the same rule would apply in the Premier League, but ideally we'll be looking more towards permanently signing the players than simply re-loaning them next year.

Change of subject mate

Do you rate Sordell?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am

You're only allowed 1 at a time from a club when you're in the Premier League aren't you? Or perhaps that's just from teams IN the Premier League.

I'm not sure.. But I can almost guarantee that the loan system that Watford incorporated last season (which they were well within their rights to utilise) isn't acceptable in the Prem's loan rules and regs
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 am

boltonboris wrote:You're only allowed 1 at a time from a club when you're in the Premier League aren't you? Or perhaps that's just from teams IN the Premier League.

I'm not sure.. But I can almost guarantee that the loan system that Watford incorporated last season (which they were well within their rights to utilise) isn't acceptable in the Prem's loan rules and regs
It's not entirely clear, but I did a google this morning, and it seems Watford might actually be ok. Seems that under premier league rules whilst there are restrictions on domestic loans, foregin loans appear completely unrestricted......

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 16, 2013 12:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:You're only allowed 1 at a time from a club when you're in the Premier League aren't you? Or perhaps that's just from teams IN the Premier League.

It's not entirely clear, but I did a google this morning, and it seems Watford might actually be ok. Seems that under premier league rules whilst there are restrictions on domestic loans, foregin loans appear completely unrestricted......
Which may, in an Allardycesque way, be within the rules. Overall it's not good though, is it ?

Even while we did it ... & with Wilshire & Sturridge to great affect ... it struck me as not quite right. When it was done on the Watford scale, albeit 'legal', it looked way beyond 'not quite right'.

Anyway, it's done now & we'll see what becomes of it long term.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 pm

They're as bent as Elton John.

And they were the most plastic fans in Wembley's history when we played them, silent before the match, then happy clappers in the ground, then silent afterwards.

Sh*t club but the media will be w*nking all over them as they're in the South.
Troll and proud of it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which may, in an Allardycesque way, be within the rules. Overall it's not good though, is it ?

Even while we did it ... & with Wilshire & Sturridge to great affect ... it struck me as not quite right. When it was done on the Watford scale, albeit 'legal', it looked way beyond 'not quite right'.

I think the issue with Watford is that they have an owner who owns a second club. I'm not that bothered if a club goes out and loans 16 players IF it's within the rules of the league....

I mean many clubs rely on loans, and actually I think the loan system is a great way to develop players.

So I think that's fine.

It's just the Watford owner also owning Udinese, that makes me a bit uncomfortable.

aefevans
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by aefevans » Thu May 16, 2013 3:34 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:

Change of subject mate

Do you rate Sordell?
Yeah, he was good when he was with us. I must admit, I think he moved a bit too soon, but our then-owner (the dodgy one) forced through the transfer. I'm not sure he was ready to step up, regardless of which club he went to, but I must admit he's slipped off my radar somewhat of late.
BWFC_insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: I think the issue with Watford is that they have an owner who owns a second club. I'm not that bothered if a club goes out and loans 16 players IF it's within the rules of the league....

I mean many clubs rely on loans, and actually I think the loan system is a great way to develop players.

So I think that's fine.

It's just the Watford owner also owning Udinese, that makes me a bit uncomfortable.
Yeah, I believe the internation loan ruling is a product of the FA rather than the Football League itself.

Next year, we will be loaning more players out to other clubs, as a number of young talent via the famous Pozzo scouting network (at least two or three off the top of my head) have been ear-marked for Watford, who we will then loan out ourselves (well, you all know how that works).

As for ownership of more than one club, as a matter of technicality, Udinese and Watford have been registered with different persons as owners, whilst both being under the same ownership: Udinese is registered as being owned by Giampaolo Pozzo, whereas Watford is registered as being owned by his son, Gino (who has since relocated with his family to Hertfordshire). I have a vague understanding that that this is because European Competitions (Champions' League; Europa League) will only allow one club per owner to take part. If any part of the situation is a loophole, it's that. Not that I'm complaining.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think the issue with Watford is that they have an owner who owns a second club. I'm not that bothered if a club goes out and loans 16 players IF it's within the rules of the league....

So I think that's fine.

And some Spanish club too (Granada, just looked it up)...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください