Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Does it hinder it?
Yes - by definition, the time given oven to this sort of thing is not available to answer the questions the inquest is supposed to answer.
As you can see by the dutiful Twitter feed of Guardian journalist David Conn, this stuff is literally taking days to get through: https://twitter.com/david_conn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Oddly enough I just unfollowed him. It is sad but only the very interested would want to read all this morbid stuff.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Athers wrote:Oddly enough I just unfollowed him. It is sad but only the very interested would want to read all this morbid stuff.
It is all very sad ... especially in that, for a range of reasons, they've not been able to let go for what is now over 25 years.

But, however sad they are and however emotionally gut wrenching the individual stories, I cannot for the life of me see what it's got to do with an inquest into the nature of or the reasons for the deaths.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Is some background about the deceased (but not circumstances of death) part of standard procedure in all inquests?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

We've had two inquests in our family where there were statements about who the deceased was and what their character was like, but these were considered highly important to both cases because suicide was considered a possible explanation. I assume it's regular though.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:36 pm

How many people are there there? Only, they've put up yellow signs on the M6 and the M62 to guide people in (The Birchwood junction being oh so difficult to find otherwise, of course).
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 am

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... nt-7029881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure why this story is breaking now, but how hard do they try to avoid making it clear that this started in 2009 under the last government?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:49 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... nt-7029881

Not sure why this story is breaking now, but how hard do they try to avoid making it clear that this started in 2009 under the last government?
Drip feed and keep the attention (not that they need it) is a well known PR tactic.

I admit to presuming this was a "this week" story.

Think yourself lucky you aren't in the North West. Local BBC News is almost all that or anti-fracking proir to the daily silly story.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:10 pm

I can imagine. I only saw that because of a Facebook 'share'.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I see they want another inquiry.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I see they want another inquiry.
They've got one! Headed by Andy Burnham.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:56 pm

On another occasion, the description of a Bill Shankly statue on the Anfield Wikipedia page was revised to change the well-known quote “He made the people happy” to “He made a wonderful lemon drizzle cake.”

:lmfao:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:05 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I see they want another inquiry.
They've got one! Headed by Andy Burnham.
Who SHOULD find out its being going on for years and very difficult to find out who's been at it.

Good they've selected someone independent though.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 am

I actually met a Liverpool fan yesterday who actually said "it was a long time ago, I think we should let it pass" he was pissed mind.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:48 pm

This is now on Netflix so I got a chance to watch it. Watched it with the lady friend, who likes football but isn't very familiar with football history. I kept having to pause it to explain all of the context that was left out (i.e. they mentioned fences were added to the terraces in 1985, but declined to mention a certain event in 1985 that reinforced the view of supporters as animals who needed to be penned in). Not sure if they just expected their audience to be familiar with it, or if it was intended to be a straight propaganda piece.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:This is now on Netflix so I got a chance to watch it. Watched it with the lady friend, who likes football but isn't very familiar with football history. I kept having to pause it to explain all of the context that was left out (i.e. they mentioned fences were added to the terraces in 1985, but declined to mention a certain event in 1985 that reinforced the view of supporters as animals who needed to be penned in). Not sure if they just expected their audience to be familiar with it, or if it was intended to be a straight propaganda piece.
Weren't pens at Sheffield Wednesday there before 1985? Thought they were myself.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:20 pm

They added lateral fencing within the pens in 1985 according to the review panel. I haven't been able to figure out if it was before or after Heysel.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:They added lateral fencing within the pens in 1985 according to the review panel. I haven't been able to figure out if it was before or after Heysel.
According to wiki they added the fencing after promotion to the top flight in 84 in anticipation of higher crowds for top flight football. Fencing was de rigour at that point. I think trying to link fencing installed by Sheffield Wednesday to Heysel is pretty pathetic to be honest.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:39 pm

I thought fencing was a very late 70's thing. The lateral fencing, I believe, was later addition to stop mass riots of the time (think Millwall at Luton et al) from happening. In hindsight, a bit of a silly thing, but that's more a reflection on hindsight.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:51 am

H. Pedersen wrote:This is now on Netflix so I got a chance to watch it. Watched it with the lady friend, who likes football but isn't very familiar with football history. I kept having to pause it to explain all of the context that was left out (i.e. they mentioned fences were added to the terraces in 1985, but declined to mention a certain event in 1985 that reinforced the view of supporters as animals who needed to be penned in). Not sure if they just expected their audience to be familiar with it, or if it was intended to be a straight propaganda piece.
I think you have become fixated on something of a red herring. A situation had arisen across English football over a number of years - totally pointless to think about whether the fences were pre or post Heysel.

I can see why a programme about Hillsborough wouldn't rake over another incident involving a crumbling stadium not even in England.