Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Verdict is announced tomorrow. I'm hiring a bunker.

Apparently they were unanimous on 13 of the 14 questions, the 14th being whether the verdict should be unlawful killing. They've now come to a majority verdict.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Thank feck I'm away all this week then.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:49 am

Here we go... Unlawful Killing.

Glad there's a verdict that makes it clear the fans weren't to blame. Far from convinced the threshold for unlawful killing was there. Did feel like they were going to keep going until they got it though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:12 pm

There'll be some cruises being booked in the next few weeks.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Is that the price you put on the life of your own children?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Just a couple of questions (whilst admitting that any interest I had in all the accusations and argy-bargy following an obvious and undeniable tragedy of great proportion, died long ago) People died, just as they did in our own Burnden tragedy, and that's always an awful thing.

What has this verdict really proven other than fixing blame on someone for a terrible accident?
The word "killing" means causing the death of someone/thing living. How then can an accidental occurence which obviously was not deliberate intent on anyone's part ( rather an error of judgement at best, surely?) to kill, be classed as unlawful killing?
How can someone be charged with it as a crime ( which may now happen) for the same reasons?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Undoubtedly an accident but the jury has decided that the Police were criminally negligent. Personally I don't wish to see criminal proceedings brought against anyone. The Police, as a whole, behaved appallingly. The fans, despite being faced with the deep rooted prejudice of many, have been rightly cleared of any involvement today. That it's taken nearly 30 years to recognise that is nothing short of scandalous
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Just a couple of questions (whilst admitting that any interest I had in all the accusations and argy-bargy following an obvious and undeniable tragedy of great proportion, died long ago) People died, just as they did in our own Burnden tragedy, and that's always an awful thing.

What has this verdict really proven other than fixing blame on someone for a terrible accident?
The word "killing" means causing the death of someone/thing living. How then can an accidental occurence which obviously was not deliberate intent on anyone's part ( rather an error of judgement at best, surely?) to kill, be classed as unlawful killing?
How can someone be charged with it as a crime ( which may now happen) for the same reasons?
My understanding, as it goes Tango, is that the Taylor Report already held South Yorkshire Police and SWFC as majority responsible.

My own opinion is that if a vocal minority of idiots, egged on by ill-informed publications, hadn't constantly poked the wasps nest by denying the clear findings of the above report, then 'justice' would have been seen to be served.

As it is, the families (and by associstion LFC) have constantly sought out a much more public and incontravertable form of public 'justice' because of the ill-informed, ill-thought out, prejudiced nature of the opposition they faced. You can read that on this very thread. The idea that being scouse somehow had a bearing on this is as patently absurd as suggesting that all dentists love custard.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ed-decades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Christ, that was a difficult read. I said earlier I've no wish to see any criminal proceedings come from this but if that was my family that had experienced that, I'd want some bugger hanging
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I've no wish to see any criminal proceedings come from this
I have. Not for the actions of incompetent individuals there on the day or in involved in the planning of the match, but for a systemic conspiracy by senior police officers and others to deny the public of the truth of what happened that day.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 am

The whole sad thing about this is the fact many football supporters, in truth were to blame in part for this tragedy, had there not been all the violence at that time in football the fence and pens would not have been there, most people could have got away.
The people who made dodgy decisions then tried to cover their ass should be hung out to dry, the police did a shocking job that day.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:02 am

Hoboh wrote:The whole sad thing about this is the fact many football supporters, in truth were to blame in part for this tragedy, had there not been all the violence at that time in football the fence and pens would not have been there, most people could have got away.
The people who made dodgy decisions then tried to cover their ass should be hung out to dry, the police did a shocking job that day.
You could extrapolate that argument to almost anything you like. But post-Hillsborough the switch to all-seater stadiums has broadly been a safety success. So you could just as easily blame the authorities for not insisting on all-seaters earlier.

As for the rest, totally agree.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:The whole sad thing about this is the fact many football supporters, in truth were to blame in part for this tragedy, had there not been all the violence at that time in football the fence and pens would not have been there, most people could have got away.
You could extrapolate that argument to almost anything you like. But post-Hillsborough the switch to all-seater stadiums has broadly been a safety success. So you could just as easily blame the authorities for not insisting on all-seaters earlier.

As for the rest, totally agree.
Please feel free to point out just where I said that was the sole reason?

It was a contributory part, not the total sum of.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 30, 2016 2:57 pm

The Heysel disaster was 32 years ago yesterday. Not a fecking peep! :roll:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:28 am

That is because it had nothing to do with them. It was the Juve fans, the police and the stadia but definitely not the Liverpool fans (even though 13 were found guilty and served prison sentences).

39 dead. 600 injured. Five-year ban for all English clubs and six-year ban for Liverpool from European competitions.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 31, 2016 11:59 am

malcd1 wrote:That is because it had nothing to do with them. It was the Juve fans, the police and the stadia but definitely not the Liverpool fans (even though 13 were found guilty and served prison sentences).

39 dead. 600 injured. Five-year ban for all English clubs and six-year ban for Liverpool from European competitions.
And as I say, Malc, not a fecking peep. The regional BBC news has been utterly clogged for the past year or so now with the whinings of the Hillsborough Inquiry, when's it Bradford's turn?