Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Anyone watching the Hillsborough Panorama doc tonight?

Post by malcd1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

There were a lot of reasons why the Hillsborough tragedy happened.

The main ones being the football violence of the 70's and 80's resulting in fencing and the poor layout of the Leppings Lane End of Hillsborough. In fact the football stadia at the time was very poor throughout the UK.

No one party was to blame but I will guarantee that this latest enquiry will find the police 100% culpable mainly due to them trying to hide their own mistakes.

As Bobo said, the fans killed at the front were the ones completely innocent.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Even the much criticized Taylor report exonerated the supporters.
Indeed - though it's amazing how often this point is lost.
Harry Genshaw wrote:Could have been any of us that day
Yes - given the way fans behaved in the 70s and 80s, it really could have been anyone attending football in that era.

People don't push at football matches now, but they did then.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Even the much criticized Taylor report exonerated the supporters.
Indeed - though it's amazing how often this point is lost.
Harry Genshaw wrote:Could have been any of us that day
Yes - given the way fans behaved in the 70s and 80s, it really could have been anyone attending football in that era.

People don't push at football matches now, but they did then.
Really?
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Not one of my usual anti Liverpool rants, just showing what the Kop was like in the 1970 & into the 1980's. This example is quite typical of how it was then. The question is how there weren't more incidents. At Anfield there was a low wall at around shoulder height and so the front rows were barely above pitch level. Anyone near the front would be horribly squashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNjjzbVf9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch after 10 seconds when the goal is scored. The crowd (both ends) is utterly sardine packed. They sway forward at the goal. It happened every match. I recall someone back then saying that the Kop has less crush barriers to facilitate this swaying. It was all part of the fun back then.

Bloody scary seeing it now though.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Surely anyone with common sense would avoid standing near the front?
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Surely anyone with common sense would avoid standing near the front?
If you were young or small it was the only place you would get a view.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

malcd1 wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:Surely anyone with common sense would avoid standing near the front?
If you were young or small it was the only place you would get a view.
They were premium spots to be honest.

... & it's a fact that someone will be at the front. It's a relative matter and in a full ground (& by God were they full) that means being at the wall point.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I dont get why that hatred blinds them to things like evidence for example, when it comes to Hillsborough. Even the much criticized Taylor report exonerated the supporters.
Could have been any of us that day
Yeah, but it wasn't. It was them. Again.

Maybe Heysel was crumbling. Maybe policing and infrastructure in British stadiums in the 1980's was dangerous. But somehow these only became disasters once LFC got involved.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 pm

May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I dont get why that hatred blinds them to things like evidence for example, when it comes to Hillsborough. Even the much criticized Taylor report exonerated the supporters.
Could have been any of us that day
Yeah, but it wasn't. It was them. Again.

Maybe Heysel was crumbling. Maybe policing and infrastructure in British stadiums in the 1980's was dangerous. But somehow these only became disasters once LFC got involved.
Odd that. I thought it was Lincoln who were at Bradford that day.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm

far be it from me to stand in solidarity with Tory MP for the Wirral Esther McVey... BUT - apparently there's a witch-hunt on because she (or one of her staff) tweeted during the Hillsborough Memorial Service... not (I believe) FROM the service - as far as i know she wasn't there - but during it - as if there was some expectation that the entire UK would come to some kind of respectful silence and watch it on TV leaving the rest of their lives on hold....

BONKERS!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 pm

thebish wrote:far be it from me to stand in solidarity with Tory MP for the Wirral Esther McVey... BUT - apparently there's a witch-hunt on because she (or one of her staff) tweeted during the Hillsborough Memorial Service... not (I believe) FROM the service - as far as i know she wasn't there - but during it - as if there was some expectation that the entire UK would come to some kind of respectful silence and watch it on TV leaving the rest of their lives on hold....

BONKERS!!
Totally.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:58 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Not one of my usual anti Liverpool rants, just showing what the Kop was like in the 1970 & into the 1980's. This example is quite typical of how it was then. The question is how there weren't more incidents. At Anfield there was a low wall at around shoulder height and so the front rows were barely above pitch level. Anyone near the front would be horribly squashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNjjzbVf9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch after 10 seconds when the goal is scored. The crowd (both ends) is utterly sardine packed. They sway forward at the goal. It happened every match. I recall someone back then saying that the Kop has less crush barriers to facilitate this swaying. It was all part of the fun back then.

Bloody scary seeing it now though.
I remember going to watch Liverpool vs United in the early 80s with my Dad and sister. We stood about half way up the Kop and arrived early enough to get a spot just above a crash barrier. The crowd grew and the game started. Within the first 10 minutes or so, the usual surging started and we got pushed hard up against the barrier. It was really scary.

In an attempt to protect us, my Dad stood behind me and my sister and wrapped his arms around us and braced them in a locked position against the barrier. This worked to some extent, but even he (at the time being a very fit and strong builder) was struggling to hold back the bodies pushing against us.

During a quiet spell, we looked around to see that whilst the crowd was large, it wasn't packed like sardines and that those behind us had no reason why they couldn't simply maintain their position rather than surging forward and risking injuring us.

Consequently, at the next surge, my usually mild mannered Dad turned around and said to the bloke pushing us forward that "if you push me again, I'll crush you like a wasp". The bloke looked back at my Dad with a look of shock on his face and told those around him that this bloke didn't want to be pushed. After that, the game went on and we weren't subjected to any more pushing.

I'm not saying that the pushing and surging was all voluntary, but I'm sure there was an element of it being avoidable. No doubt some saw it as being part of going to the match and didn't appreciate that by initiating the surging, they could actually be injuring someone lower down.

This is purely my reflection on being caught up in a very mild football related crush. My sympathies go out to anyone involved in the Hillsborough disaster. Dreadful, absolutely dreadful.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 pm

thebish wrote:far be it from me to stand in solidarity with Tory MP for the Wirral Esther McVey... BUT - apparently there's a witch-hunt on because she (or one of her staff) tweeted during the Hillsborough Memorial Service... not (I believe) FROM the service - as far as i know she wasn't there - but during it - as if there was some expectation that the entire UK would come to some kind of respectful silence and watch it on TV leaving the rest of their lives on hold....

BONKERS!!

I realise I'm pissing in the wind here, but perhaps when someone feels the need to indulge in twitter diarrhetics, perhaps they should just shut the f*ck up and not burden the rest of us with their watery brain-farts?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

BONKERS!!

I realise I'm pissing in the wind here, but perhaps when someone feels the need to indulge in twitter diarrhetics, perhaps they should just shut the f*ck up and not burden the rest of us with their watery brain-farts?
well - yes - that's true - but it's equally true whether or not it is done while the Hillsborough memorial service happens to be going on somewhere else! 8)

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Image
Well done Bruce. I made the point to our kid yesterday that nobody wanted to see masses of Liverpool fans convicted for the murders they caused at Heysal.
Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

BONKERS!!
But that is exactly what they want, the whole world to stop because Liverpool is the only football club ion the land that matters and the only city that matters. Did I mention how Scoucers have really been badly treated over the years.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:31 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moving stuff, but how does it help the inquest do the job it's been asked to do?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Does it hinder it?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Does it hinder it?
Yes - by definition, the time given oven to this sort of thing is not available to answer the questions the inquest is supposed to answer.