Tony Pulis

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Tony Pulis

Post by Mar » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I think the season Allardyce left we'd pretty much felt that an opportunity was missed in that January transfer window. We'd accrued a decent number of points early in the season and really wanted to push on an cement that position. The funds weren't there, either that or the decision was taken against providing them, but either way we'd turned from a side challenging for a Champions League spot to a side that was preparing to get rid of Anelka for the money (as had been the case all along) and just trying to keep our heads afloat in the Premiership.

We weren't a team threatened with relegation and we weren't a team going places. Allardyce knew it, the players knew it and i'd imagine the board knew it.

I wasn't disappointed with the style of play but I would've loved a flair player in there as well. Someone with a licence to try and be creative. Okocha had it, Djorkaeff had it, but we were missing that entertaining player to add balance to the mix. Free transfers weren't going to get that far anymore.

With regards to Pulis. His reign was similar to Allardyce's in terms of style and success, and similar to Coyle in where it all started going wrong (the FA Cup Semi Final was as good as it was going to get and they never progressed since).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am

Talk of Mark Hughes currently leading the field for the Stoke job on t'wireless this morning.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Talk of Mark Hughes currently leading the field for the Stoke job on t'wireless this morning.
The only successful period he had as a club manager was when he turned a struggling Blackburn side into a 'kick everything that moves' dogs of war outfit .... and had Santa Cruz on fire.

Not much of a different approach if Stoke went for that for their change ... except Santa Cruz.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

NP44
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NP44 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:52 pm

They love Pulis around these parts.
'I know he's a popular player but we think this is taking things too far. Somewhere in Bolton there's someone with a John McGinlay tree in their garden!' Super John's Wife.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 am

NP44 wrote:They love Pulis around these parts.
What about Nathan Blake? Did he pitch back up again down that way?
May the bridges I burn light your way

NP44
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NP44 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Finished his career at Newport County.
'I know he's a popular player but we think this is taking things too far. Somewhere in Bolton there's someone with a John McGinlay tree in their garden!' Super John's Wife.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 pm

This made me smile. I thought we were bad when we appointed Megson. Hughes hasn't even been offered the job yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22710396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He may be just hours away from being appointed as Tony Pulis's successor as Stoke City manager.

But one fan has already staged a protest against former Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Hughes being appointed at the Britannia Stadium.

A season ticket holder spent Tuesday driving around the Potteries in a van sporting a "Hughes out" banner, a sign that cost him £50 to make.

Hughes, 49, is expected to be unveiled as the Potters manager by the end of the week after Pulis's seven-year reign was ended by mutual consent earlier this month.

The Welshman, who has managed Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City and Fulham, also faced criticism from the Stoke Supporters Club on Wednesday.

The supporter Carl, who did not want to reveal his surname, believes Hughes's managerial record should not make him a candidate.

He said: "It is not just me, it is the thoughts of 90% of Stoke fans. Security made me move on from the Britannia so I drove around.

"I parked on motorway bridges and people were beeping their support at me and taking photos.

"He is not a long-term appointment, look at his track record, but it looks as though he is going to be appointed anyway."
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 am

For all the talk of entertainment over these pages... sacking Pulis and appointing HUGHES?! What is the fecking point?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 am

Prufrock wrote:For all the talk of entertainment over these pages... sacking Pulis and appointing HUGHES?! What is the fecking point?
Absolutely. At least Huth doesn't need to fear for his next contract.

By heckers there'll be some clogging next year.

... and I love the protest van !!

As ever, if he gets some results all will be forgiven. Woe betide him if he's starts poorly though.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 am

Now official. Hughes is in :lol:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am

bobo the clown wrote: Woe betide him if he's starts poorly though.
Which he will! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 am

Can't believe Hughes has got another job in the Premiership after QPR

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm

harry redknapp relegated qpr , mark hughes kept them up.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 pm

tripod wrote:Can't believe Hughes has got another job in the Premiership after QPR and Fulham
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:10 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
tripod wrote:Can't believe Hughes has got another job in the Premiership after QPR and Fulham
8th place at Fulham, Europa League, 1 point off their best ever Prem finish. Hardly a huge flop.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 am

Did a cracking job at blackburn and Wales aswell
Last edited by plymouth wanderer on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:Done a cracking job at blackburn and Wales aswell
Seems to do well when he doesn't have to build a team with loads of dosh.