Richest Battle to reach the Prem Version #26

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Richest Battle to reach the Prem Version #26

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue May 28, 2013 12:35 pm

had Watford to win 3-0, then after 90 mins of shite, i stuck a tenner on Kevin Philips first goal scorer at 20/1!

BOOOM

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue May 28, 2013 1:07 pm

"Richest Battle"?

Seriously?

This board is going to the dogs.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue May 28, 2013 4:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
James B wrote:wonder how dougie freedman feels watching palace go up
Dunno, but same question can be asked next season watching em come back down.
quite possibly but the financial boost this gives them is a key factor.

obviously we'll never know what happened behind the scenes at palace but i think he'll regret leaving tbh.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

James B wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dunno, but same question can be asked next season watching em come back down.
quite possibly but the financial boost this gives them is a key factor.

obviously we'll never know what happened behind the scenes at palace but i think he'll regret leaving tbh.
I doubt it. He's got a bigger budget here, a better setup, better wages.

I mean he's got to make it work, but ambitious managers don't stay at Crystal Palace if Bolton come a calling......

Eagle in peace
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eagle in peace » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 pm

You have £120m over the next 4 years? You need to get promoted first. Should we get relegated which is highly likely, our medium term future is sound. It's been a great season and you played your part in making it so. Thank you!

NP44
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NP44 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Eagle in peace wrote:You have £120m over the next 4 years? You need to get promoted first. Should we get relegated which is highly likely, our medium term future is sound. It's been a great season and you played your part in making it so. Thank you!
We should be saying thank you to you. Had you still had Dougie you would of gone up automatic.
'I know he's a popular player but we think this is taking things too far. Somewhere in Bolton there's someone with a John McGinlay tree in their garden!' Super John's Wife.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 am

Lord Kangana wrote:"Richest Battle"?

Seriously?

This board is going to the dogs.
Thanks, we do have a new dog!!!

I just put that in the title as the play off is known to be the most valuable game for the winner.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:29 am

If we get rid of Freedman will we go up too?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 am

Wandering Willy wrote:If we get rid of Freedman will we go up too?
Hoss likes this post.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 30, 2013 12:43 pm

ChrisC wrote:
I think he will be happy for them. He loves the club and he was a big reason for them going up. Holloway wouldn't have got them in the playoffs if he had been there from day one.

Dougie will see the bigger picture though and knows they are likely to come straight back down. He knows if he gets us up he has more resources to stay there.
They're going to be about £38,000,000 better off than us though - and that's even taking into account our loan from QuickQuid... so I'm not sure that we will have more resources.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
I think he will be happy for them. He loves the club and he was a big reason for them going up. Holloway wouldn't have got them in the playoffs if he had been there from day one.

Dougie will see the bigger picture though and knows they are likely to come straight back down. He knows if he gets us up he has more resources to stay there.
They're going to be about £38,000,000 better off than us though - and that's even taking into account our loan from QuickQuid... so I'm not sure that we will have more resources.
IF he gets us up there being the key part......

We're richer than Palace if the TV incomes are the same.....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

I'm confused now.
This is what I think I know:
We are ~ £98m in debt. Palace no idea.
We get £16m parachute payment dropping to £8m next year. Palace get nothing.
We get revenues. Palace get revenues.
We get £2.2m from the League. Palace get (even if they finish bottom) £63m from the Prem.
Money can be made by both teams in the transfer market but I don't know the figures.

So that is Palace are £45m better off than us (I'd gone and added the year after parachute payment in previously when doing my back of fag packet calculations).

Now if Palace come straight back down AND we fail to go up Palace get an extra £23m in first year parachute payment.
Forgetting the debts.
So they will have had income of £63m+£0m+£23m = £86 million
We get £16m+£2.2m+£8m = £26.2 million
a difference in their favour of £59.8 million.

How can we be richer? :conf:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu May 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

Ok, lets look at it a different way. If we had gone up with Palace this season then who do you think could attract the better players? Who do you think would offer the higher wages?

As a club we are built for the top league, Palace are not.

They have to update that shed of a stadium which won't come cheap. Palace will use the money to stabilise the club for years to come and wont go all out to stay up. They will treat next season as a treat and deep down will know they are coming back down more than likely.

Dougie left Palace knowing that would be the outcome if promoted and joined us knowing that he was joining a more ambitious club who would fight tooth and nail to stay in the top league if we was to get there.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

Ok, lets look at it a different way. If we had gone up with Palace this season then who do you think could attract the better players? Who do you think would offer the higher wages?

They have to update that shed of a stadium which won't come cheap. Palace will use the money to stabilise the club for years to come and wont go all out to stay up. They will treat next season as a treat and deep down will know they are coming back down more than likely.

Dougie left Palace knowing that would be the outcome if promoted and joined us knowing that he was joining a more ambitious club who would fight tooth and nail to stay in the top league if we was to get there.
You see I don't think it'll be like that at all. Once Palace have had a taste of the riches I don't think they'll just settle back to stabilise the club and cruise on that at a lower level. In fact here's a theory, yet to be proved obviously, that we've got a year's grace (if it's not too late already) or miss out on the next era of football. Because I think that from next season there will be three types of football club in this country - a permanent top layer of fourteen got-it-made clubs attracting the best players; a second tier of nine clubs, also attracting good but not the very top players (no matter which division they are in) spread out between the Prem and the Championship and perming any three out of the nine to yo-yo up and down between the Prem and the Championship; and then the rest of us, permanently mired below the top three spots of the Championship. Occasionally one or other clubs might break into the second class nine through sheer luck in the play-offs, but otherwise it stagnates into that sort of hierarchy.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 pm

ChrisC wrote:

i've heard that said a few times - what does it actually mean in concrete terms?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I was in this that London the day of the play off final and after the game I saw 15 Watford fans all in high spirits and therefore caught onto the idea that they had won the play off final, about an hour later I saw 200 Palace fans all looking very glum (not one of them was smiling and a lot of them were frowning) and therefore given one of them was quite close I said "so how many did you lose by"..... you can guess my shock when I was informed by the young man that Palace had in fact won the play off final in extra time. What came to my kind immediately was just how sh*t fans of southern clubs are, had a team from the northwest won the play off final you would be able to here the chant of "we are going up" two miles away yet here I was less than 2 hours after the full time whistle looking at a load of Palace fans all looking like they had just seen their team get thrashed at Wembley when in fact they had won the play off final. Are people from Croydon just miserable or what?
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

I'm confused now.
This is what I think I know:
We are ~ £98m in debt. Palace no idea.
We get £16m parachute payment dropping to £8m next year. Palace get nothing.
We get revenues. Palace get revenues.
We get £2.2m from the League. Palace get (even if they finish bottom) £63m from the Prem.
Money can be made by both teams in the transfer market but I don't know the figures.

So that is Palace are £45m better off than us (I'd gone and added the year after parachute payment in previously when doing my back of fag packet calculations).

Now if Palace come straight back down AND we fail to go up Palace get an extra £23m in first year parachute payment.
Forgetting the debts.
So they will have had income of £63m+£0m+£23m = £86 million
We get £16m+£2.2m+£8m = £26.2 million
a difference in their favour of £59.8 million.

How can we be richer? :conf:
I said if the TV monies were equal. We were able to treble or quadruple their managers salary. Their wage bill will be a lot smaller than ours.

Sure the premiership riches will help them, but we had 11 years of those to build our infrastructure, academy, training facilities etc.

Palace are and have been run on a shoestring.

I doubt they'll go mad in an attempt to stay up either.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Blackpool and Burnley were happy to take the cash and invest it almost exclusively into off-pitch activities. No reason why Palace won't do the same.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 am

boltonboris wrote:Blackpool and Burnley were happy to take the cash and invest it almost exclusively into off-pitch activities. No reason why Palace won't do the same.
I don't have enough knowledge of football club finances to say otherwise.
I just know that the financial structure in place now is significantly different from a few years ago and I think that will affect how club boards look at things. The proof will be in season 2015/16 because if I'm correct Palace will be one of the clubs on the yo-yo and will be heading back up to the Prem for their second dip into the banquet (or will still be up there garnering millions more each and every season).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

We got into £100m+ of debt just to try and stay there. It's one of those catch 22 things, where we can't afford to compete there, but we can't afford no to be there.. I think football clubs are run on the presumption of future earnings - a dangerous game, but being at the higher echelons makes you attractive to a buyer, which I think is the eventual aim of most clubs nowadays... 'don;t worry about the debt, some foreigner will pick up the tab'..

Anyway, what I'm sort of saying in a roundabout way is that, although Palace are now bringing in more per season from TV money than we ever were, I think this will be offset by higher transfer fees and higher wages, so from a percentage point of view, I don't think we'll be any different, or worse off.

If everybody's income is going up by 20% the cost of everything associated with the playing aspect will go up by the same amount.

And Blackpool spent practically every penny of Premiership money on that feckin hotel! and the rest is in Oystons pocket
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"