anelka

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: anelka

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Tombwfc wrote:To be fair, since leaving us he was launched into international retirement by France after telling the coach to go feck himself.... so he's hardly a reformed character.

At the end of the day, he was our record signing and arguably the greatest player the club has ever had. He was first class for us, but I'd imagine we treated him like royalty.

Nat Lofthouse!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I did say arguably.

Nat will always be 'the best', because he's untouchable. He was an excellent player for his time and a proud Boltonian to boot. He's a legend in every sense of the word.

It is impossible to compare Nat to Anelka because the sport itself is incomparable. However, given Nico's accomplishments, his ability and the fact we may even have seen the best of him, he'd have to be right up there. There are players who might be more fondly remembered (Lofthouse, McGinlay, Worthington, Okocha, Djorkaeff), some of those maybe even were as good as Anelka, but I don't think any of them have been better. It'll be a long time before we sell anybody for more than £15m.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I did say arguably.

Nat will always be 'the best', because he's untouchable. He was an excellent player for his time and a proud Boltonian to boot. He's a legend in every sense of the word.

It is impossible to compare Nat to Anelka because the sport itself is incomparable. However, given Nico's accomplishments, his ability and the fact we may even have seen the best of him, he'd have to be right up there. There are players who might be more fondly remembered (Lofthouse, McGinlay, Worthington, Okocha, Djorkaeff), some of those maybe even were as good as Anelka, but I don't think any of them have been better. It'll be a long time before we sell anybody for more than £15m.

Knew what you ment bud :D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 pm

He was never his country's all team leading goalscorer. Nat isn't our best ever for sentimental reasons, he's our best ever. Hierro the best calibre, and Jay-Jay the best at the time that I ever saw (though I can see a case for Nico there).

Like you said, arguably, but I'm arguing :D.
Last edited by Prufrock on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Anyone forget Worthy led the first division top scorer? Golden Boot n'all that.

Not sure I'd have him in front of Lofthouse, but I never saw Lofthouse.

How this debate could possibly proceed without Andranik getting a mention is beyond me.

And then there's Taddy Nowak.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 am

So Anelka does in fact want to retire.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:01 am

Worthy4England wrote: How this debate could possibly proceed without Andranik getting a mention is beyond me.
:lol:
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:So Anelka does in fact want to retire.
unless my eyes deceive me, Anelka appears to be playing for west brom this very afternoon...

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Fanboy.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Fanboy.
that's me! 8)