Goal Line Technology

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Goal Line Technology

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Speaking at the Premier League launch of the new system, FA general secretary Alex Horne said: "This is one of the biggest changes that has happened in the 150 years since we conceived the laws of the game."

Do feck off.

err...
Handball
Corner kicks
Penalty kick
Offside
Penalty spot
Referee’s Whistle
Linesmen
Substitutes
Extra time
Three points for a win
Penalty shoot outs
Yellow cards
Red cards

I think allowing technology to see whether a goal has actually been scored is quite a minor change in the laws over the last 150 years actually but.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Goal Line Technology

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm firmly against GLT (and DLT now that I think about it). How long before we're forced to rewind just a little bit further to see if the man who scored was on-side or not, or just that little bit further to see if there was a foul in the build up, or keep going until we find that the ball did complete a full rotation at kick off and the whole game's a bogey?

I'm 100pc 'play to the whistle' and if the ref gets it wrong he gets it wrong. It's up to us to make sure that we're not affected by things we can't control. I'm a bit of a Buddhist when it comes to life.

That's what I'd like to see. A Buddhist Monk on the touchline ruling whether a ball crossed the line, or deserved to cross the line.

Actually I'd like to see Derren Brown at every game reading everyone's mind for racist thoughts and looking where the players eyes were when he went over the ball and broke someone's leg because he's not 'that' kind of player.

And a robot on the roof of the stadium firing lazer beams out of its arse for no reason whatsoever.

Surely in this day and age the techology must exist!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Only good until they decide that there's some doppler effect that skews the camera lines or a pigeon flies across at the same time thus cocking up the whole thing. It's also particularly noticeable that GLT is really only backed by a handful of "Top" premiership clubs. Can't see it working at places like Accrington with all that expense. About £100,000. Should have left it to the refs as has been said. Trials at Arsenal are all well and good but Arse will be the first to turn god and say the system is flawed. Might as well play it online. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:08 pm

@gravedigger My sentiments exactly. They should produce two pages of results and tables.

One for those of us who like football, like to see good games and goals and mistakes and boo and cheer and chant. And then another for the tossers who phone 606 and Talkbollocks who say 'Give me a boring 1-0 win anyday'.

We can have the right results and then we can roll a pair of dices for the other lot, print those results up and then they can be happy too.

All this bullshit that '...We're trying to help the referee' is nonsense. It's about Alan Green and what he thinks.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 pm

This has been my view also. The game should be kept as close as possible to what I played at all levels, all over the World.

We can all make a case for GLT, specifically, but it won't. It'll be offsides, then corners/goalkicks, then fouls. Big, bad thin end of the wedge.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Time to smash those powerlooms, Coffey. See you in Chatterton!
May the bridges I burn light your way

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I heard the other day that Chatterton was the birth place of the word chav before then it had only been used by gypsies.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:00 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:I heard the other day that Chatterton was the birth place of the word chav before then it had only been used by gypsies.
Care to expand, Dan? I'd be stunned if this is true.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Sorry I meant Chatham near Gillingham.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Sorry I meant Chatham near Gillingham.
Went to Chatham with HMs navy many times and never heard the term but seems the gipsy fraternity use(d) it as a term meaning "Child". It has been known also as "Council House and Violent", but I think it's overused now to mean any manner of things. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:59 pm

"Cheltenham average' is another version. It's no more the thin end of the wedge than assistant referees were. It's an objective decision taken out of the hands of humans. It's clearly different from subjective interpretation.

Why anyone would wilfully want wrong decisions is beyond me. It's not entertainment, it's sport that happens to be entertaining.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 am

Gravedigger wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:Sorry I meant Chatham near Gillingham.
Went to Chatham with HMs navy many times and never heard the term but seems the gipsy fraternity use(d) it as a term meaning "Child". It has been known also as "Council House and Violent", but I think it's overused now to mean any manner of things. 8)
Basically anybody who owns a tracksuit, I am therefore a chav!

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

I saw a fairly heavy hoo-har about the 'didn't it/didn't it cross the line' incident in the Hull v Chelsea match.

GLT proves ball didn't cross line.

Well, it might have done but I don't think it was ever really in doubt. I would love it, love it if that's the only incident this season and the whole thing is just money down the bog.

I can see them making a fuss about it this Saturday.

twitter @thetonycoffey

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm

There was one game, Sunderland maybe, where it was headed 'off the line' a good four foot out! Three slow-mo Hawkeye style replays ffs! It's going to get right on my tits if that's how it carries on.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:There was one game, Sunderland maybe, where it was headed 'off the line' a good four foot out! Three slow-mo Hawkeye style replays ffs! It's going to get right on my tits if that's how it carries on.
Like most other changes in games, it will slowly be accepted and after a while never given a second thought.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:53 pm

seanworth wrote:
Prufrock wrote:There was one game, Sunderland maybe, where it was headed 'off the line' a good four foot out! Three slow-mo Hawkeye style replays ffs! It's going to get right on my tits if that's how it carries on.
Like most other changes in games, it will slowly be accepted and after a while never given a second thought.
You are required on the angry thread please

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 pm

seanworth wrote:
Not if they use it every time it goes in the bastard six yard box it wont!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 am

Prufrock wrote:
seanworth wrote:
Not if they use it every time it goes in the bastard six yard box it wont!
Their were critics in Hockey (that's ice hockey to the less educated), American football, cricket, Aussie rules I believe, tennis, basketball, and I'm sure even in rugby (league and union) before technology was utilized. Sure there are a few hiccups but as with any modern sport adjustments are made when needed and in the end the vast majority not only accept it but usually embrace the changes. No point getting all worked up, just chill out a bit and in a few months enjoy the love you will inevitably have for the changes.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 am

Hoboh wrote:
seanworth wrote:
You are required on the angry thread please
Would rather spend time in jail than get involved on that thread.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 am

Doesn't really affect the ref or the flow of play though, does it?