It's about time somebody started this thread!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: It's about time somebody started this thread!

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Fergie will be back in the hot seat by the end of the season to look like the big hero. He goes to every game and still can't stay away.
I did some work once with Wilf McGuiness. He's a good guy, despite it all.

He was the manager who followed Busby and the 'great man' made his life in the new job impossible. It was the period when Charlton was beginning to fade and Best's drinking was getting out of hand. However, when he tried to deal with them they ran off to Busby who would come in and explain to him how he should handle the matters (always with increased tolerance).

He said that on his first official day in the job he went to his (what had been Busby's) office to find the owd bugger sitting in there. He presumed he was simply collecting a few things when he was told that Busby, as now a Director, would continue to use that room. He was walked down the corridor to a smaller room, with his name on the door.

He said he knew then that he either had to overcome Busby or he'd never make the job a success. As we all know he never 'overcome Busby'.

Ferguson is present in Carrington regularly. He's at every match. I see this going the very same way unless Moyses can get the support from the board.

Frankly I think he's toast.
I think Busby took over from him IIRC.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you but yer memories failing you Monty..
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Fergie will be back in the hot seat by the end of the season to look like the big hero. He goes to every game and still can't stay away.
I did some work once with Wilf McGuiness. He's a good guy, despite it all.

He was the manager who followed Busby and the 'great man' made his life in the new job impossible. It was the period when Charlton was beginning to fade and Best's drinking was getting out of hand. However, when he tried to deal with them they ran off to Busby who would come in and explain to him how he should handle the matters (always with increased tolerance).

He said that on his first official day in the job he went to his (what had been Busby's) office to find the owd bugger sitting in there. He presumed he was simply collecting a few things when he was told that Busby, as now a Director, would continue to use that room. He was walked down the corridor to a smaller room, with his name on the door.

He said he knew then that he either had to overcome Busby or he'd never make the job a success. As we all know he never 'overcome Busby'.

Ferguson is present in Carrington regularly. He's at every match. I see this going the very same way unless Moyses can get the support from the board.

Frankly I think he's toast.
I think Busby took over from him IIRC.
Sorry to be the one to break it to you but yer memories failing you Monty..
The venerable Monty is correct young Genshaw. Busby was reappointed after WMcG left.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

He did indeed ... "as he was there" I guess was the excuse at the time.

He did the job from December to May when Frank O'Farrall took over. My goodness they appointed a few ordinary ones for a while.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Bobo seems to have a suspiciously large amount of knowledge about Man United, doesn't he? Personally I'd struggle to name the last manager they had before Moyes.
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Bobo seems to have a suspiciously large amount of knowledge about Man United, doesn't he? Personally I'd struggle to name the last manager they had before Moyes.
I used Wiki ..... really .... honestly I did .... truly.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:Bobo seems to have a suspiciously large amount of knowledge about Man United, doesn't he? Personally I'd struggle to name the last manager they had before Moyes.
I used Wiki ..... really .... honestly I did .... truly.
The rags have a wiki page :shock:

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Ferguson's fault to let this slip away
"Pogba is one of those players who leaves you speechless. After only three or four training sessions we were impressed by his enormous qualities. We looked at each other as if to say 'Are they blind in Manchester?'" - Gianluigi Buffon.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 am

Some really long sulky faces within the office Man United fraternity this morning.

:lol:
Businesswoman of the year.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Woman at work this morning, and this is no exaggeration, said

"My Mike (husband) is a massive United fan. Never misses a game"

Me: "Oh right, has he got a season ticket"

Her: "No. we've got one of those satellites that can pick up foreign channels. As I said, he never misses a kick, but even Mike is getting fed up of them now"

:groan:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:Woman at work this morning, and this is no exaggeration, said

"My Mike (husband) is a massive United fan. Never misses a game"

Me: "Oh right, has he got a season ticket"

Her: "No. we've got one of those satellites that can pick up foreign channels. As I said, he never misses a kick, but even Mike is getting fed up of them now"

:groan:
Can you get a message to Mike from me please, Boris? :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Surprised at Chelsea letting them have Mata. t was obvious Jose didn't want him for whatever reason, but could bite him on the ar5e by letting another Prem club sign him up. He'll be a whizz in the Inter Toto
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm thinking - there's an irony in the fact that the only Man U player not to shit himself when it came to last night's penalties was Darren Fletcher. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Surprised at Chelsea letting them have Mata. t was obvious Jose didn't want him for whatever reason, but could bite him on the ar5e by letting another Prem club sign him up. He'll be a whizz in the Inter Toto

chelsea have already played manU twice... mourinho reckons Mata will strengthen ManU - but only at the expense of the other top 6 clubs who are not Chelsea - thus benefiting chelsea... plus - chelsea pocket £37mill for a player they don't really want...

Tufty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tufty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Some tweets etc. re the SAFC game :D

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-b ... l-one-cup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and one from the GMP

http://www.givemesport.com/422850-phil- ... utoplay=on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Surprised at Chelsea letting them have Mata. t was obvious Jose didn't want him for whatever reason, but could bite him on the ar5e by letting another Prem club sign him up. He'll be a whizz in the Inter Toto

chelsea have already played manU twice... mourinho reckons Mata will strengthen ManU - but only at the expense of the other top 6 clubs who are not Chelsea - thus benefiting chelsea... plus - chelsea pocket £37mill for a player they don't really want...
Has Mourinho had much of a say? I suspect the £40M has more to do with it than anything else....fleeced!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I'm thinking - there's an irony in the fact that the only Man U player not to shit himself when it came to last night's penalties was Darren Fletcher. :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Has Mourinho had much of a say? I suspect the £40M has more to do with it than anything else....fleeced!
i think he has said he wants manU to get stronger and beat his rivals...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:39 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

i think he has said he wants manU to get stronger and beat his rivals...
Can you get the actual quote though?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

i suppose i could if i tried - but as i didn't include it, I wrote "I think"... hope that's OK for you! :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 pm

In that case, it carries no credibility! ;-)