It's about time somebody started this thread!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: It's about time somebody started this thread!

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 pm

That result has made me feel a bit better.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm

This is like one of those gifts that never stops giving, they might not even finish in Europe the way they are going never mind the champions league. Don't know if anybody saw but without about a minute left the ball was hoofed into the Spurs penalty area and Lloris rushed to the edge of his area and cleared it with a diving header, top man.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:This is like one of those gifts that never stops giving, they might not even finish in Europe the way they are going never mind the champions league. Don't know if anybody saw but without about a minute left the ball was hoofed into the Spurs penalty area and Lloris rushed to the edge of his area and cleared it with a diving header, top man.
Also Janus-wotsit got unfairly booked for diving and Young was refused a definite penalty. By Howard Webb. Beautiful.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 am

Adnan whatsits was a dive, not sure about Young's though. Non the less Loris's diving header was without doubt the footballing highlight of the day.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am

Young really should have got a penalty. Fair justice for his past diving in my view.

I thought the young Belgian 'went to groubd easi' and already has developed a reputation for dropping ... which is why Webb booked him.

Welbeck also should have got a spot kick. in his case his foot was touched but then he added a twist&pike with flourish as he went. I think Webb only saw the acrobatics and therefore rejected the claim.

So ... a lot of decisions due to reputations. Maybe that's what Moyses needs to focus on. It's about time they got the treatment everybody else gets.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:21 am

I find it odd that lots of people are surprised by Man Utd's post Fergie "slump". It was always going to happen. An inevitability.

Fact is they didn't have the best group of players in this country. They were carried along by Ferguson and his drive and status in the game more than anything else.

Now they are by their standards struggling, but it was going to happen for a while whatever, especially as they haven't improved their squad or first team quality.

They'll finish top 4, probably 3rd IMO, and a decent run on the back of a signing or two and they could still win the thing but it is looking a tall order now.

Fergie left them with too many average (by their standards) players.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 am

Exactly that Insane-one.

Look at their team these days and there are a lot of players below the standard you'd expect of them. They get bigged-up because of who they play for but the Andersons, Welbecks, Valencias are merely good, not great, players.

They had a momentum by virtue of that bullying tw@t who managed tgem but even while winning the title last year they were very ordinary.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I find it odd that lots of people are surprised by Man Utd's post Fergie "slump". It was always going to happen. An inevitability.

Fact is they didn't have the best group of players in this country. They were carried along by Ferguson and his drive and status in the game more than anything else.

Now they are by their standards struggling, but it was going to happen for a while whatever, especially as they haven't improved their squad or first team quality.

They'll finish top 4, probably 3rd IMO, and a decent run on the back of a signing or two and they could still win the thing but it is looking a tall order now.

until yesterday I thought they were still well in the mix... I'm not at all sure they will finish top 4 now - and less sure about 3rd... Arsenal are grinding out scabby wins, chelsea and citeh still look strong - i think those three will occupy top 3... 4th place - not a given for manU as spurs, everton, liverpool all look equally capable..

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 am

bobo the clown wrote:Young really should have got a penalty. Fair justice for his past diving in my view.

I thought the young Belgian 'went to groubd easi' and already has developed a reputation for dropping ... which is why Webb booked him.

Welbeck also should have got a spot kick. in his case his foot was touched but then he added a twist&pike with flourish as he went. I think Webb only saw the acrobatics and therefore rejected the claim.

So ... a lot of decisions due to reputations. Maybe that's what Moyses needs to focus on. It's about time they got the treatment everybody else gets.
Haven't seen it, but with Young I guess he's just learning about 'the boy who cried wolf' the hard way. The Schadenfraude they have provided this season has partly made up for our own failings.

Edit: I read somewhere that they have the most bookings this season for simulation, which just proves what we all already knew, that they are dirty, cheating scummers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I find it odd that lots of people are surprised by Man Utd's post Fergie "slump". It was always going to happen. An inevitability.

until yesterday I thought they were still well in the mix... I'm not at all sure they will finish top 4 now - and less sure about 3rd... Arsenal are grinding out scabby wins, chelsea and citeh still look strong - i think those three will occupy top 3... 4th place - not a given for manU as spurs, everton, liverpool all look equally capable..
I had a look at Man Utd's fixtures that are remaining and relatively soon they go to both Chelsea and Arsenal. If they manage to win one of (or both) those the rest of their fixtures don't look so bad. I think Liverpool will drop out of the top 4 and for me Arsenal need to stregnthen in certain areas before they can be sure of lasting the pace.

But yeah it is possible. I mean Everton are having a good season, Spurs are enjoying early redemption under Sherwood and both look capable of sneaking 4th. So Man Utd are in a battle for the top 4, absolutely. But they can't possibly have as bad a second half to the season as they have first and no doubt will look to bring players in.

Will be interested though to see if Moyes survives should they miss the top 4. As much as they may want to go long term, missing out on that would equate to disaster for them in their terms (football and financial) and could well be the tipping point for their fans who are disgruntled but not so open about it as they know he is Fergie's choice!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Don't which is funnier: Moyes scrabbling to blame someone for his not being very good at his job, or the thoughts of Welbeck, Januzaj and particularly Young googling 'comeuppance'. :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:Don't which is funnier: Moyes scrabbling to blame someone for his not being very good at his job, or the thoughts of Welbeck, Januzaj and particularly Young googling 'comeuppance'. :lol:
I suspect more than one of them would need help with that...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm not in the least but arsed about arguing how shit or good they are compared to last seasons, I have seen enough of them where they just gain ground on the others sides.

So I am carrying on as normal where I'm happy with anyone who beats them.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm

It's amazing how many times a player gets a cross or a shot off only to be taken out after the ball's gone.... for no reaction. It's like a free hit.

For example Sterling had a one-on-one yesterday and after his shot was completely wiped out.

The Young one was a bit like this, but of course it was a penalty. It's also more likely to be given than the above because it was the goalie. Just shows that diving, long term, even for Man Utd, isn't a good idea. Don't think Diouf ever got another penalty after his one at Ewood Park?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am

From the SSN transfer blog:

10:14

Roma midfielder Daniele de Rossi rejected the opportunity to join Manchester United during the summer transfer window and he is thankful he did now that his club are challenging for the Serie A title. He told Corriere dello Sport:

"Thank goodness I didn't go to Manchester, otherwise I would have committed suicide by now".

:lol:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:From the SSN transfer blog:

Roma midfielder Daniele de Rossi rejected the opportunity to join Manchester United during the summer transfer window and he is thankful he did now that his club are challenging for the Serie A title. He told Corriere dello Sport:

"Thank goodness I didn't go to Manchester, otherwise I would have committed suicide by now".

Bit extreme.

Not sure I'd want to be employing people who kill themselves at a couple of bad results. You couldn't even put them on the bench ... & if you tried to use them in the team they'd be forever offside.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:From the SSN transfer blog:

Bit extreme.

Not sure I'd want to be employing people who kill themselves at a couple of bad results. You couldn't even put them on the bench ... & if you tried to use them in the team they'd be forever offside.
Something about them still being better than Zat Knight.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Oh dear :)

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:27 pm

God is good.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:34 pm

May the bridges I burn light your way