Lalalala Zola

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Lalalala Zola

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Gonners
Last edited by boltonboris on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Lalalala Zola

Post by mrkint » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Shall we set up a 'managerial sackings' board for the website?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:23 pm

mrkint wrote:Shall we set up a 'managerial sackings' board for the website?
I see a Kinto's managerial merry-go-round thread coming.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 pm

He should have loaned a few from Italy. That would have saved him.

I still think Watford are effectively cheating, the way they are owned by owners of another club and take their players en-masse in loans.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Malky Mackay

This guys going to be next. They clearly want him out but seem to want him to resign rather than be sacked. I guess they have some mysterious replacement lined up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25409755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:25 am

bobo the clown wrote:Malky Mackay

This guys going to be next. They clearly want him out but seem to want him to resign rather than be sacked. I guess they have some mysterious replacement lined up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25409755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Going off that list of signings on the left it seems that Mackay and Moody actually came under budget (I count £34.5m of a supposed £35m budget being spent, not including outgoing transfers), rather than this £50m that Tan is going on about... I suppose it's coming out of his bank so presumably he'd know, but who cost them that extra £15m? Also, he as the owner only had to say 'no, I won't let sign that player, you'll go over budget'...

Moron.

Mackay'll be sacked for some misconduct allegation, probably based on his forthright words with the media, and they'll bring in some Johnny Foreigner who looks good in a suit and gets a massive transfer kitty to finish exactly where Mackay would've got them...

As for Watford... I'm sure there's got to be something they can be nailed on, because what they've done is pure cheating, getting players for free from Udinese... Aren't there EU regulations on undervaluing assets in order to get a preferred sale? That's what Bernie Ecclestone is being investigated for right now...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 am

Think Bootroyds days at Northampton are numbered as well despite the good form given they are currently 23rd in the league and were knocked out of the cup by a non league team.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:42 am

To be fair to Tan for a brief while the overspend seems to be that one party is simply counting the fees whilst the other is taking into account all the associated costs ... the signing on-costs, agents fees, add-ons. This is what got O'Dreary into bother at Villa.

To then be less fair to him, yes his management needed to oversee the spending and also have explained the budget better to over-eager and incompetent people whose only thoughts are on the football. But this will all end up broken and there will be tears.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:56 am

To be fair to Tan for a brief while the overspend seems to be that one party is simply counting the fees whilst the other is taking into account all the associated costs ... the signing on-costs, agents fees, add-ons. This is what got O'Dreary into bother at Villa.

To then be less fair to him, yes his management needed to oversee the spending and also have explained the budget better to over-eager and incompetent people whose only thoughts are on the football. But this will all end up broken and there will be tears
I may be wrong on this, but why would a manager get involved in "signing on fee's and agents fee's" within a transfer, surely he has a discussion with the chairman as to what players he wants and what he values them at and what length of contract they should be offered, then after that surely its down to the Chairman/finance bods at the club to sort out the financials of the deal?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 pm

wigan white wrote:I may be wrong on this, but why would a manager get involved in "signing on fee's and agents fee's" within a transfer, surely he has a discussion with the chairman as to what players he wants and what he values them at and what length of contract they should be offered, then after that surely its down to the Chairman/finance bods at the club to sort out the financials of the deal?
No idea, maybe that's what the recruitment bod was for ... McKay's best chum ... the one who got sacked and replaced by a YTS trainee.

Maybe that's why he got sacked, which would seem fair enough tbh. Spending a full sum of £50m against a budget of £35m. I mean, it's not a public body or anything. MacKay of course wasn't sacked as his role is not overly concerned with that, as you point out.

Anyway, back to Zola. It reads that he actually resigned. I doubt he did that without compensation, but at least he knew it wasn't working and fell on his sword.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote: Anyway, back to Zola. It reads that he actually resigned. I doubt he did that without compensation, but at least he knew it wasn't working and fell on his sword.
TBH, I think he jumped before he was pushed as there were rumblings last week about him getting sacked. Like you say though, I reckon there'll still be a compensation package for him.

It's weird that most "sackings" nowadays aren't sackings, but instead are "mutual agreements", just find it bizarre really.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Bobo..

2 points to add.. (not disagreeing with your or anything, as I think you're right): Firstly, Tan is well within his rights to come out publicly since the manager did with his request for extra cash.

Secondly, Zola has been another one who's struggled due to loan players coming in last season playing exceptionally and ultimately being far more expensive and un-attractable than they can realistically get. Chalobah was one and Vydra was West Brom's Lukaku (ironic seeing as where Vydra now plies his trade). Somebody who banged in over 20 goals and plugged a striker shaped hole in the squad that they can't fill in. The fans became expectant and the bookies upped the anti by making them one of the favourites. But when push comes to shove, they're a small club, with a shit ground and have feck all income. How can they realistically expect to compete with QPR et al when their best players are no longer there and won't be coming back?

We had it with Sturridge to a lesser extent (as we were already losing games with him there, but he was on fire himself).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 pm

With the way the big clubs are stock piling expensive young talent from all over the world, we'll see plenty more managers fall victim to this poisoned chalice of the loan system

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm

This is where Freedman had a good point in saying the big clubs hoarding all the young talent is killing the game for the smaller club.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 pm

wigan white wrote:This is where Freedman had a good point in saying the big clubs hoarding all the young talent is killing the game for the smaller club.
Not sure he means it in the same way I do..

think he means that it's players who are no longer available to clubs like us to buy as the market has artificially inflated their value

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 pm

boltonboris wrote:
wigan white wrote:This is where Freedman had a good point in saying the big clubs hoarding all the young talent is killing the game for the smaller club.
Not sure he means it in the same way I do..

think he means that it's players who are no longer available to clubs like us to buy as the market has artificially inflated their value
I should have expanded my reply really, I think he means it both as to the inflated market and to what you said earlier. He said earlier in the year about the loans and developing other teams players then having them go back to the parent club and we are back at square one again trying to find a better standard of player.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Ah.. I agree entirely, but at the same time, if a player becomes available who can improve you, you'd be foolish not to take them. Even if only short-term.

It really is a catch22 for managers I suppose

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Nick Powell is a good example - usually he'd be bought by a Championship club for a couple of £mill, but here come United swanning in with £4m (great for Crewe!) and just loan him out to whoever they please.

Wigan in this case, by loaning rather than buying, will make no money on a re-sale if Powell does well and they'll just have a hole in the team next year.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Athers wrote:Nick Powell is a good example - usually he'd be bought by a Championship club for a couple of £mill, but here come United swanning in with £4m (great for Crewe!) and just loan him out to whoever they please.

Wigan in this case, by loaning rather than buying, will make no money on a re-sale if Powell does well and they'll just have a hole in the team next year.
Unless he helps them get promoted.. In which case they may be able to afford a similar standard of replacement.

But it's not often you get a player who's fantastic and then get the same standard a season later. Especially in the case of Vydra / Lukaku, who will naturally progress to the next level that you can't afford to compete with.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Woot! It's not Iain Dowie.

It's.......errrrr...............Sannino!

Much better than Graeme Souness.