Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

Post by Athers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:talking of sunderland...

it seems the problem with Di Canio was nowt to do with his managerial skills - but that none of the players were as good as him!
Wasn't that one of Hoddle's big failings ?
It is/was, from what I heard. He doesn't understand that he was a bit special and asks ordinary players to do what he used to.
It's common logic based on him still being a good player in training, but I've never known how much to read into it.

As an aside I bet Michael Laudrup is still bloody good in Swansea training!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Athers wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:talking of sunderland ... it seems the problem with Di Canio was nowt to do with his managerial skills - but that none of the players were as good as him!
Wasn't that one of Hoddle's big failings ?
It is/was, from what I heard. He doesn't understand that he was a bit special and asks ordinary players to do what he used to.
It's common logic based on him still being a good player in training, but I've never known how much to read into it.

As an aside I bet Michael Laudrup is still bloody good in Swansea training!
I understood that he would ask too much of players ... ordinary players who weren't anywhere near his abilities.

When they failed ... as they inevitably did ... he'd fck them off, or ridicule them. Often he would then demonstrate the thing they had failed to achieve. Now that's impressive, but can't be very inspiring.

In short, he'd only be any good managing at the highest level, otherwise the players would always seem a let down.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".