Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tufty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

Post by Tufty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:22 pm

As you probably heard Marcos Alonso has made a loan move to Sunderland. As a Sunderland supporter I would just like to ask what you think of him as a) a left back and b) a left sided midfielder. Also is there any interesting stories or things we might need to know about him?

P.S. Would you in admin mind if I link this thread to Black Cat Chat to share your answers ?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Marcos Alonso to Sunderland.

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:12 pm

I always rated him and was disappointed when he left. Probably better going forward than defending.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Tufty wrote: P.S. Would you in admin mind if I link this thread to Black Cat Chat to share your answers ?
No problem. Link it to Black Cat Chat and tell them what nice people we are. :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Alright going forward - very good in the air attacking corners.

Not great defensively. Is Damien Duff still turning out for Fulham? Marcus probably still has nightmares about him...

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm

I liked him, he has very good technical ability and scores a few goals as well.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Like most have said, better going forward than defending.

If this is linked to your forum, where are all your fans tonight in your cup semi final against manure? We have been told many times on here by Sunderland fans what a massive club you are with massive amounts of fans. I'm baffled 8) how can your stadium possibly be half empty?

Tufty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tufty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:24 pm

ChrisC wrote:Like most have said, better going forward than defending.

If this is linked to your forum, where are all your fans tonight in your cup semi final against manure? We have been told many times on here by Sunderland fans what a massive club you are with massive amounts of fans. I'm baffled 8) how can your stadium possibly be half empty?
My excuse is I now live in Cardiff so getting home is difficult.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

He got the man of the match.......

Tufty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tufty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

I liked what I saw today especially a couple of early balls he put in the box.

Chris, I am shocked by the turnout, I was still at home in 1985 when we beat Chelsea in the League cup semi final when we had over 32,000 at Roker Park, our league average was 18,000 with only 28,000 for the derby game against N*castle. Perhaps the lure of the league cup is fading, I know I would like us to win a place in Europe but staying in the premier is priority.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 pm

I think he would be a good asset in the right setup.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 pm

I was there this eve (long story, see 'Tonight's football' for explanation). The fact is that the ground wasn't half empty. What you see on the TV doesn't reflect reality. The cameras tend to show the empty seats relatively close to the pitch. The cameras don't show the full story. Behind and to the left of the cameras, there are upper tears that were packed. Somewhat similar to St James's Park, where the bigger stands are generally missed by the cameras.

Irrespective of the size of the crowd. The noise that was generated was more than anything I've ever heard at the Reebok. Full stop.
Hope is what keeps us going.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:38 am

Always hopeful wrote:

I was there this eve (long story, see 'Tonight's football' for explanation). The fact is that the ground wasn't half empty. What you see on the TV doesn't reflect reality. The cameras tend to show the empty seats relatively close to the pitch. The cameras don't show the full story. Behind and to the left of the cameras, there are upper tears that were packed. Somewhat similar to St James's Park, where the bigger stands are generally missed by the cameras.

Irrespective of the size of the crowd. The noise that was generated was more than anything I've ever heard at the Reebok. Full stop.
It was a joke due to Sunderland fans that come on here about sell out after sell out and how that somehow makes them a big club etc.. etc..

At no point did I say the Bok was some amazing packed cauldron of noise..

Pointless reply to have a dig at a Bolton fan and the club when your suppose to be a fan yourself.
Last edited by ChrisC on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:42 am

I got your dig Chris. Sunderland a massive club, with loads of other competing big clubs and lots to do in the NE.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am

ChrisC wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

It was a joke due to Sunderland fans that come on here about sell out after sell out and how that someone makes them a big club etc.. etc..

Pointless reply to have a dig at a Bolton fan and the club when your suppose to be a fan yourself.
If we don't dig we will never find the club Megson and Coyle burried!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 am

I think he's decent!

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 am

I thought Alonso was good in the Championship, but was too slow in the Premier League. Watch him get turned inside out by pacey wingers.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:11 am

Like Valencia?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:10 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

It was a joke due to Sunderland fans that come on here about sell out after sell out and how that somehow makes them a big club etc.. etc..

Sorry, whoosh, missed that. :oops:

I wasn't intending for it to sound like a dig at you, but on reflection I can now see why it reads that way. (Having missed your dig at them) I was trying to be helpful and explain why the ground (presumably) looked half empty on the telly. Not having been there before, I've often wondered why that was, and now I know.

Oh and my statement about it being noisier than the Reebok, was just that. A statement.

I've just checked the stats and it was only just over half full, so I was wrong anyway. :oops: :oops:

In fact on reflection, I agree with you. My post was pointless and I apologise.

As you were.
Hope is what keeps us going.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Sorry, whoosh, missed that. :oops:

I wasn't intending for it to sound like a dig at you, but on reflection I can now see why it reads that way. (Having missed your dig at them) I was trying to be helpful and explain why the ground (presumably) looked half empty on the telly. Not having been there before, I've often wondered why that was, and now I know.

Oh and my statement about it being noisier than the Reebok, was just that. A statement.

I've just checked the stats and it was only just over half full, so I was wrong anyway. :oops: :oops:

In fact on reflection, I agree with you. My post was pointless and I apologise.

As you were.

Water under the bridge mate 8)

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Let's get this thread back on track.

Always thought he was a good player though he does have some limitations.

He's very good on the ball, decent in the air and has a good range of passing.

Defensively his positioning can be wayward at times and he's not the quickest.

We miss him badly though, since he's gone our only outlet from defence has disappeared and we're now resulting to a lot more hoof.