Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:41 am
England V Andorra tonight. Clashes with Strictly. Which will have more foxtrotting? :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am

Anybody watch the Jack Grealish individual goal? Class, and credit to our keeper for spotting him free.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:12 pm

England v Hungary tonight. We beat them not long bck, but they may have learned a thing or two. Hope McGuire and Walker are over their injuries...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Not vintage.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am

Awful. The manager remains a nice guy but shit manager. Rinse and repeat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am
Yes, it was less then excellent, but I'm not putting it all down to the manager Pru. For a start, we were playing a different Hungary than a month ago. They learned lessons and applied them, thus making it very difficult (when combined with their " If you can't get the ball, get the man! tactics plus fouls and time wasting), The Hungarians (awful pun) were hungrier than our lacadaisical gladiators, and we would still have won but for that dodgy penalty (Shaw was watching the ball when the forward dived in at it and made a real meal of it knowing he was near the box) despite their attractive and skilled attacks second half. .

We really missed the injured Harry McGuire and Shaw isn't surely our best choice at left back?(not the first time I've said that and I know I won't be agreed with) Every time he got the ball and was challenged, back it went a la Rio Ferdinand. Stones can't get in United's team right now and Sterling can't get in the City side, not too hard to see why on last night's showing. Harry Kane has gone right off the boil and if Gareth Southgate is guilty of much, it's surely a failure to see that, although his double-barrel named replacement is also injured.
Last point. Winning 25-0 against the San Marinos in our group proves little. We'll need to be really on song from now on. Poland and now Hungary seem to prove that.

Not asking for agreement as the views are mine, but I'm maintaining the points. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 am
Yes, it was less then excellent, but I'm not putting it all down to the manager Pru. For a start, we were playing a different Hungary than a month ago. They learned lessons and applied them, thus making it very difficult (when combined with their " If you can't get the ball, get the man! tactics plus fouls and time wasting), The Hungarians (awful pun) were hungrier than our lacadaisical gladiators, and we would still have won but for that dodgy penalty (Shaw was watching the ball when the forward dived in at it and made a real meal of it knowing he was near the box) despite their attractive and skilled attacks second half. .

We really missed the injured Harry McGuire and Shaw isn't surely our best choice at left back?(not the first time I've said that and I know I won't be agreed with) Every time he got the ball and was challenged, back it went a la Rio Ferdinand. Stones can't get in United's team right now and Sterling can't get in the City side, not too hard to see why on last night's showing. Harry Kane has gone right off the boil and if Gareth Southgate is guilty of much, it's surely a failure to see that, although his double-barrel named replacement is also injured.
Last point. Winning 25-0 against the San Marinos in our group proves little. We'll need to be really on song from now on. Poland and now Hungary seem to prove that.

Not asking for agreement as the views are mine, but I'm maintaining the points. :D
For good reason.... :wink:

As for the rest I agree more or less - not sure Southgate did a lot wrong.

For me I come back to a midfield that lacks real quality - very unconvinced by Mount - actually I'll say it - he's not an England player. Foden needs to be used in a different way and Henderson came on and looked utterly woeful (and I still think he's not close to the player people proclaim him to be).

Southgate was a bit stuck with availability and like you say Kane is not on any form.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Friday, 12th November 19:45
England v Albania
FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifier

Bolton play Crewe same night at 8-0'clock.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 pm
Friday, 12th November 19:45
England v Albania
FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifier

Bolton play Crewe same night at 8-0'clock.
See Sky have grabbed everything in sight tonight, including the England U21 v Czech Republic U21. Typical. :evil:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Just caught up on this due to the euphoria of a Whites win.. :mrgreen:

Harry Maguire scores, so does Henderson, both goals well taken, and Harry Kane knocks in three real crackers and we beat Albania 5-0. What's not to like. :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Was just recalling when San Marino went 1-0 up. Bastards reminded me it was 28 years ago! :-(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Northern Ireland draw 0-0 with Italy! :shock: Well done them. Hungary beat Poland.

10-0 against San Marino leaves me feeling sorry for them, but as the mandate goes, you can only play what's in front of you. Good display from the New England young caps.
Our penalties were a bit iffy to say the least and Abrahams getting a yellow card ridiculous.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:11 pm

I have no particular axe to grind with Southgate, but he really doesn't do himself any favours.
At today's press conference he pointed to current form as being a key factor in deciding his final squad for the World Cup. I mean, amen to that - we kick off in 10 day's time.
However, this was after the squad was announced - a squad containing Harry McGuire, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling and..... remember this lad? Calvin Phillips.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:11 pm
I have no particular axe to grind with Southgate, but he really doesn't do himself any favours.
At today's press conference he pointed to current form as being a key factor in deciding his final squad for the World Cup. I mean, amen to that - we kick off in 10 day's time.
However, this was after the squad was announced - a squad containing Harry McGuire, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling and..... remember this lad? Calvin Phillips.
At least he’s finally realised Ben White is a decent defender!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:27 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:08 pm

At least he’s finally realised Ben White is a decent defender!
And well deserved, too. 👏
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
He’s done great things with England but I found his comments about selection about as bizarre as they come. I think he’s clueless.

The midfield we have is so woeful that I can’t see us competing with the better sides so it might all be a bit academic anyway. Kane is also to me way off the boil. None of the players you list should be anywhere near a squad with ambitions of going deep.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
He’s done great things with England but I found his comments about selection about as bizarre as they come. I think he’s clueless.

The midfield we have is so woeful that I can’t see us competing with the better sides so it might all be a bit academic anyway. Kane is also to me way off the boil. None of the players you list should be anywhere near a squad with ambitions of going deep.
Perhaps he's going off England form, but even that doesn't justify it as England have been woeful of late.

The omission of Toney irks me somewhat. Clearly a player in form and performing better than Rashford but not getting the call up. It was clear he wasn't going during the last international window though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Kane off the boil? He's got 11 prem goals and would be top if Haaland wasn't so prodigious

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Kane off the boil? He's got 11 prem goals and would be top if Haaland wasn't so prodigious
Kane's off the boil for England but not Spurs. The lack of testing alternate options shows how narrow minded Southgate's been in the build up to this World Cup, not necessarily over the course of his England managerial career but definitely lately.

Bit problem we've had with Southgate is he's been loathe to change his front man. If he takes the form he's had with England into this tournament we'll have a position there thats not fully been tested. I suspect that'll cost us. I think we can all agree Kane's the best striker we have but we've had plenty of time to figure out alternate game plans and he's just not done it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:32 pm

I don't have a problem with plan B, C etc. But surely the counter to Kane's off the boil for England should be to watch how Spurs are playing him in, where he's clearly got his scoring boots on.