Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:Not only given it to Rose, but specifically for his defending! Not sure he said Kane's pen was quality did he? He said it was a positive penalty. We're absolute toss at the back.
I thought he said quality, but perhaps it was positive. Either way it was a wank penalty.

The defending was best summed up at the end by Walker covering at the back doing well, then trying a 50 yard cross field ball in his own half in the last minute, giving it away, the whole back four being caught out and Turkey nearly scoring.

To me, it is now clear that Vardy plays. Irrespective of anything else he's our major threat with his pace, Turkey were terrified.

The rest needs looking at especially midfield. Wilshere isn't fit enough not the right type. I'm questioning Alli, is he ready to start these games?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 22, 2016 7:40 pm

First, Turkey were no duck eggs. Some of their play was real quality and exposed us at the back a few times. Think I might opt for Stones over Smalling. Walker is playing better and I thought Clyne was pretty decent (last time he played) over Rose. Never get the feeling Sterling is giving 100% . I'd have Rooney in because we ain't going to rule the roost every game. Can't comment on Drinkwater because I don't know that much about him, but I'd certainly find a role for Berkley and Dier somewhere. Wilshire is always worth his place but is prone to get carded because he retaliates badly/clumsily to tackles, a la Paul Scholes. With Kane, Vardi, Sturridge, Alli etc up front to choose from that's not our weakest area. Turkey harrassed us well today (and skilfully) and we looked flustered late on. We still want too long on the ball at times. Nice to see Cahill as captain though.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun May 22, 2016 11:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: To me, it is now clear that Vardy plays. Irrespective of anything else he's our major threat with his pace, Turkey were terrified.
I listened to it on R5. Danny Mills reckoned he shouldn't be picked as he doesn't suit the way the rest of the team played.

"Football's all about opinions, all of them different, whether from a top analyst or a man in a bunnet"

Charlie Adam

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 pm

It's a tournament, so it's hardly likely to matter... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 am

What's a bunnet? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 23, 2016 9:25 am

Little Green Man wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: To me, it is now clear that Vardy plays. Irrespective of anything else he's our major threat with his pace, Turkey were terrified.
I listened to it on R5. Danny Mills reckoned he shouldn't be picked as he doesn't suit the way the rest of the team played.

"Football's all about opinions, all of them different, whether from a top analyst or a man in a bunnet"

Charlie Adam
Danny Mills.... :|

But end of the day he's the one that will scare defences. I think what Mills possibly is getting at is that we play in front of teams a lot which doesn't suit Vardy as much.

But I say, change that and use him down the channels. Most of what was good came from Vardy getting into the channels and using his pace.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon May 23, 2016 10:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:What's a bunnet? :?
A hat. Sometimes people keep bees in them.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Little Green Man wrote:

....or strawberries. You can keep Blackberries or gooseberries in them too, but mainly strawberries.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Ah, Scotch for bonnet then?! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Hodgson said Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge had not trained during the previous two days because of a calf problem. The 26-year-old did not play in Sunday's 2-1 win over Turkey.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 am

bobo the clown wrote:Hodgson said Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge had not trained during the previous two days because of a calf problem. The 26-year-old did not play in Sunday's 2-1 win over Turkey.
Talk is that, Rashford is likely to go with Sturridge left behind now anyway...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 27, 2016 9:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Hodgson said Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge had not trained during the previous two days because of a calf problem. The 26-year-old did not play in Sunday's 2-1 win over Turkey.
it never makes sense (to me) to take injured players to a tournament...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 27, 2016 9:31 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
it never makes sense (to me) to take injured players to a tournament...
Not when you have the option of Vardy, Kane and an exciting young talent on the sidelines. Oh yes and some fat old bugger who has scored a few goals in the past!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 am

I see Fabian Delph won't be fit to go.

No. Me neither.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Rashford has to go. Sturridge is a perma-crock and you can't rely on him to be fit with such a quick turnaround in tournament format.

Didn't that Mooy lad for the Aussies used to play for us?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Rashford has to go. Sturridge is a perma-crock and you can't rely on him to be fit with such a quick turnaround in tournament format.

Didn't that Mooy lad for the Aussies used to play for us?
Apparently did a year in 2010 and Dan was always on about him. He sure ran the midfield tonight and was a real engine. Tonight won't do us any harm and stop us getting ahead of ourselves. The Oz hassled and muscled us all game and some of their football ( finishing apart) was very impressive. Not sure why Rashfored was MOTM. He scored a good goal but his ball control was a bit raj. Bet Dier didn't enjoy his time....Rooney made a difference but as to our first XI, anybody's guess?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Was there only me that had absolutely no idea that England had a game tonight? :?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Rashford vs Sturridge is a tough one. Rashford might have the surprise factor. Sturridge if fit is a good player.

Guess neither are starters so comes down to which one might make the most impact for ten minute spells at the end?

If fit Id probably pick Sturridge but a huge if in his case.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Henderson, Sturridge, but most gallingly Jack 'permacrock' Wilshere all in. For f*ckssake Roy!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 31, 2016 6:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Henderson, Sturridge, but most gallingly Jack 'permacrock' Wilshere all in. For f*ckssake Roy!!
Aye. Feel sorry for Drinkwater..