Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:03 am

................Hart

Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Baines

Lallana, Gerrard, Hendersen

Rooney, Sturridge, Rodriguez
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:................Hart

Both been absolutely outstanding for about 3 months!

Think Terry is wishful thinking though :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Aye.. But everyone else is shit at centre back! Jags is alright, but a bit of a slug.

I'd also be tempted to drop Rooney out and play someone like Sterling just for that raw pace and unpredictability, but Rooney is Rooney and on his day, he's fvckin' mustard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:32 pm

But please god, DO NOT play Sturridge wide right. Such a waste of this country's best striker

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Are we actually talking about Jordan Henderson here? Because the last I heard he was the biggest waste of money since bottled water :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Are we actually talking about Jordan Henderson here? Because the last I heard he was the biggest waste of money since bottled water :?
Been outstanding this season Bruce.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Interesting. What's changed?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:Aye.. But everyone else is shit at centre back! Jags is alright, but a bit of a slug.

I'd also be tempted to drop Rooney out and play someone like Sterling just for that raw pace and unpredictability, but Rooney is Rooney and on his day, he's fvckin' mustard.
boltonboris wrote:But please god, DO NOT play Sturridge wide right. Such a waste of this country's best striker
Agree with the lot of that. It gets frightening at CB when you get past Jagielka. No depth there at all. Look good at FB though, gone from only having Johnson and Cole to having about four in each. Think Clyne will kick on and challenge next year too. Proper jealous of Southampton fans atm.

Know what you mean about Rooney too. Because of what he's capable of, it's hard to leave him out. Not sure he really suits the other players we have though. Hopefully Townsend can have a good end to the season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Aaron Ramsey-like transformation this year, particularly since Xmas. Looked for a long time like they'd bought a very expensive Pratley, but he's suddenly blossomed. Still got a hell of an engine, but looks good on the ball, and is scoring, creating and defending too.

With both him and Ramsey I don't know if it's they've just got to a point where they don't feel like kids learning from the experience anymore but proper players expected to get hold of games and really contribute. Must be a bit more complicated than that though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Probably Brendan Rodgers.

Heard on Sunday during the game the commentators say that Henderson felt tense at Liverpool before, not free to express himself. Rodgers seems to have settled him in and found his position for him. Plays in a midfield diamond in front of Gerrard. Mind it doesn't half help when you've got the best striking pair around in front of you like....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Mind it doesn't half help when you've got the best striking pair around in front of you like....
Indeed. So tell me, in your opinion (bear in mind that I watch little football that doesn't involve us) is there not more than a hint of them making a goodun out of him with, certainly Suarez's abilty to conjure a goal out of nothing, or is he serving them up on a plate? Or, heavens forfend,do we have to acknowledge that Liverpool under Rodgers are the real deal?

I tell you, the 4uckers will be absolutely insufferable if they win the league. "Eeeeeerrr, back where we belong, eeeeeeerrr back on arr perch.." Dear God.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm

£90 for a replica shirt the robbing c*nts

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:50 pm

jaffka wrote:£90 for a replica shirt the robbing c*nts
Ahh, but it comes with a 'cooling system', so holes to you and me then. Absolutely essential for down the pub. :roll:

When I heard about it ont' wireless this morning they said "£90 for England's new home and away shirts", which made me think - the cheeky bastards making you shell out £90 for them both. Then I realised that they're £90 each. As if that's not enough to put me off from buying one I've also heard mention of the word 'skintight' :shock:
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Mind it doesn't half help when you've got the best striking pair around in front of you like....
Indeed. So tell me, in your opinion (bear in mind that I watch little football that doesn't involve us) is there not more than a hint of them making a goodun out of him with, certainly Suarez's abilty to conjure a goal out of nothing, or is he serving them up on a plate? Or, heavens forfend,do we have to acknowledge that Liverpool under Rodgers are the real deal?

I tell you, the 4uckers will be absolutely insufferable if they win the league. "Eeeeeerrr, back where we belong, eeeeeeerrr back on arr perch.." Dear God.
I haven't seen them enough to really judge to be honest. I guess you're asking if he has genuine quality or just a watercarrier in a side with other class?

I'd say the former but it is very different judging him in a side where he can give the ball to others to produce the goods a lot of the time than one where he'd have to do it all himself.

He's no Pele/Messi etc. But he's definitely improved massively.

Be interesting to see what happens towards the end of the season. I kind of think Rodgers has performed some real magic there...right now I'd not totally bet against them. Depends if they have the bottle for it, I guess.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:00 pm

He looks for the ball. Gets in it spades of space (good trait) and uses it very well. He's got a good range too. Finds the wide men, frontmen.. everyone.

Looks very good. And feeding Suarez and Sturridge isn't too dissimilar to feeding Rooney and Sturridge.

If We can find a centre back from somewhere and feck off the United shite and play a young, expressive, in-form side and actually lets them go out and play rather than be tight for as long as possible, I think we have the makings of a very good team.

Rodgers for England

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 11, 2014 11:43 pm

So no Ashley Cole in the squad.

Big call, one plenty will agree with. Wrong for me. I bloody love Shaw, up there with Barkley and Sterling for outstanding break through players but I'd play Cole against the big teams over Baines who I like, but who I think is a stop-gap between Cole and Shaw. I'd play Cole against Italy, and any other top team. Best English defender since Bobby Moore IMO. Defo best I've seen.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:So no Ashley Cole in the squad.

Big call, one plenty will agree with. Wrong for me. I bloody love Shaw, up there with Barkley and Sterling for outstanding break through players but I'd play Cole against the big teams over Baines who I like, but who I think is a stop-gap between Cole and Shaw. I'd play Cole against Italy, and any other top team. Best English defender since Bobby Moore IMO. Defo best I've seen.
I suppose 3 months out doesn't help his cause ... though he'd have been "fresh". For me it's a shame as experience can't be overestimated.

I have to say his words today were gracious in the extreme. Nice to see.

"I got the call from Roy and agree England team should be about the young players. I think it best I retire from England team now," said Cole. "We have a great manager and team and I wish them only success. I will be supporting them like a true fan. Thanks to everyone for everything. Leighton Baines and Shaw are great players, proved this season, and are the future of this country, it was a pleasure to get 107 caps. Like me or not, trust me it's hurt me to stop playing for my country #proud and #honoured."
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 11, 2014 11:58 pm

He was as good as it gets against Liverpool and Sterling the other week. His performance against Ronaldo in 2004 (I think) is the best defensive performance I've ever seen. Always managed to come across as a cock, but actually sounds like a decent guy. Fab raved about him when he was at Arsenal. Assuming this is it, must go down as one of England's best.

Agree that's as gracious as hashtags get.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon May 12, 2014 10:27 am

He has been an excellent player and last time around looked like England's only truly world class player.

He has come across as a cock in the past but it seems he has managed being omitted from the squad with graciousness and class, well done to him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Yeah I'd have had Cole in the squad too. I'm all for getting the new guard in but Cole's experience would have been massively useful. I'm not convinced by Baines as an international full back, but we'll see.

Be interesting to see how Hodgson balances experience and youth. Lots of youngsters breaking through like Barkley etc but have they played enough yet? For me yes. And listened to an interesting chat on Sky where I think it was Merson (or Le Tissier) was saying that they felt Barkley was a better bet to play behind the striker in some games than Rooney was.

I kind of think it would be nice to go into a world cup with a more fresh faced team in general, with perhaps a few surprise packages in there. Experience in the right places but I think we have the chance for a really youthful and energetic attacking line up with Gerrard sitting in midfield and the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana, Barkley etc raiding forwards. We're not winning it so would be nice to have a real go with players who would still be around (and hopefully even better) for the next one!