Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Your England XI

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Luke Shaw is poor for me. Shame Chilwell is unavailable.
Harsh, I think. He's looked steady to me in a game requiring steady defenders, and has moved forward in a 'nowt daft' manner when play has allowed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm

They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Your England XI

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Absolutely. However, it's a comparison that Grealish himself absolutely basks in, without, for me, him even coming close to warranting it. A little humility from Grealish might do him no harm.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Is sancho persona non grata or summat?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25749
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Largely disappeared second half. Isn't the first or only player in the team being overhyped.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Absolutely. However, it's a comparison that Grealish himself absolutely basks in, without, for me, him even coming close to warranting it. A little humility from Grealish might do him no harm.
Can only agree tbh. I found it cringeworthy. Wait till you’ve done something first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Largely disappeared second half. Isn't the first or only player in the team being overhyped.
How many of these would have got in the euro 96 side? :wink: :wink:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Good grief the chasm in the middle when trying to transition from defence to attack. 😬
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25749
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Largely disappeared second half. Isn't the first or only player in the team being overhyped.
How many of these would have got in the euro 96 side? :wink: :wink:
I'll judge them when we're out...we have a defence that so far have conceded none. So clearly all of them would be in. I think I'd have Stirling and Kane in, so I'm up to 7. Then if I add Foden, that's 8...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Your England XI

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm

Is it balls out of the hat for the last 16? How does it work? I just hope we avoid Italy, Germany, Portugal and France for as long as is possible to be honest.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm
They built Grealish up Pre kick off to be the next Gascoigne. This is the trouble. He has talent but he’s light years from Gascoigne at his best. I mean the chasm is huge. Does the overhyping of the lad help? Not in my view.
Largely disappeared second half. Isn't the first or only player in the team being overhyped.
How many of these would have got in the euro 96 side? :wink: :wink:
I'll judge them when we're out...we have a defence that so far have conceded none. So clearly all of them would be in. I think I'd have Stirling and Kane in, so I'm up to 7. Then if I add Foden, that's 8...
Ha. I’m at 0. And that’s generous.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Is it balls out of the hat for the last 16? How does it work? I just hope we avoid Italy, Germany, Portugal and France for as long as is possible to be honest.
I think we are guaranteed one of those from the germany/Portugal group iirc if we top our group, but I may he wrong.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Is it balls out of the hat for the last 16? How does it work? I just hope we avoid Italy, Germany, Portugal and France for as long as is possible to be honest.
I’ve got news for you….unless Czechs score or Hungary pull off a miracle…it’s one of those.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37146
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Your England XI

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Is it balls out of the hat for the last 16? How does it work? I just hope we avoid Italy, Germany, Portugal and France for as long as is possible to be honest.
I’ve got news for you….unless Czechs score or Hungary pull off a miracle…it’s one of those.
Oh for feck's sake.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Decent first half, stodgy second. A win and a 3rd clean sheet. Not inspiring, but fine. Roll on the knockout rounds.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25749
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 pm

We'll play second in Group F? We'll shit 'em.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 29046
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm
Is it balls out of the hat for the last 16? How does it work? I just hope we avoid Italy, Germany, Portugal and France for as long as is possible to be honest.
I’ve got news for you….unless Czechs score or Hungary pull off a miracle…it’s one of those.
Oh for feck's sake.
It’s at Wembley though…..

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25749
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2056
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Your England XI

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm

Have decided it is once more coming home.

England Germany in the next round, at Wembley, grealish to be a hair's breadth from scoring the winner in extra time before our Gareth subs himself on to miss the deciding PK

Threeeee lions on a shiiiirrttt.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10603
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Your England XI

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:19 pm

I just hope it gets a bit more exciting…first half an hour loads better then we just got turgid. I think we have players with more ability than they are showing, not sure if it’s following management instructions or mentality that’s holding them back.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests