Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Ha. Yes, my emotions might have run away with me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 pm
Issues with both fullbacks. Trippier being shut down by a player standing inside him and Walker misplacing his passes.

Generally not bad and I think the subs will have an impact when we use them.
Agreed the full backs are the issue rn. Walker been awful. Trippier doing a decent job but shuts us down.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Rashford must be looking at Sterling and getting excited

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Phillips has really impressed me and did brilliantly for that goal.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Too deep for me now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:13 pm
Phillips has really impressed me and did brilliantly for that goal.
Man is a rottweiler. Really impressive on the ball too.

I think we've generally been okay. Southgate got his big calls in midfield right. Can't argue with an opening win.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Splendid display. Kalvin Phillips MotM by a mile for me. What a display. Solid in covering the defence, strong in his pushing and so accurate when delicacy was called for (see his pass for the goal). Absolutely superb.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Job done. Not anything like the performance being made out. Midfield and full backs need changing. Phillips was really good. I thought he was the player in midfield who rose to it. Foden looked good but didn’t get enough of the ball. Rice and Mount for me not good enough. Walker and Trippier neither look right.

Mings surprised he looked solid and comfortable mainly. Kane - what was he doing? Looked shocking.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Splendid display. Kalvin Phillips MotM for me by a mile for me. What a display. Solid in covering the defence, strong in his pushing and so accurate when delicacy was called for (see his pass for the goal). Absolutely superb.
All of this. Wonderful display.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Splendid display. Kalvin Phillips MotM for me by a mile for me. What a display. Solid in covering the defence, strong in his pushing and so accurate when delicacy was called for (see his pass for the goal). Absolutely superb.
Wouldn’t rate it that highly but definitely agree on Phillips. Was superb. Looked right up for it he did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:55 pm

In fairness to Gareth he got the Sterling call right. He was good and stretched it with his pace.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 pm
Midfield and full backs need changing. Phillips was really good. I thought he was the player in midfield who rose to it. Foden looked good but didn’t get enough of the ball. Rice and Mount for me not good enough.
Midfield was the best part today. To clean out Croatia in that area is massive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Midfield and full backs need changing. Phillips was really good. I thought he was the player in midfield who rose to it. Foden looked good but didn’t get enough of the ball. Rice and Mount for me not good enough.
In some ways but for me we lacked balance in there. But I guess as you say not every team have Croatia’s midfield. Anyway it’s coming home. Beers out now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Exactly. In that heat against that midfield we matched them. Bodes really well.

Defence were untroubled today as Croatia don't have much up top. Bigger tests to come in there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wouldn’t rate it that highly but definitely agree on Phillips. Was superb. Looked right up for it he did.
Fair enough. My pre-match thoughts were though that this midfield has to first and foremost contain Modric, to then be able go on to play. That's exactly why I agree wholeheartedly with us not having played Grealish the show pony, who earns more through his cheating than through his actual contribution.

Also, for all this talk about playing Trippier at LB, I just took it from that that those who're paid to do their homework on this sort of thing will have sussed that Croatia have a player on their right who likes to cut in onto his left. Whether that's the case or not I'm not sure, but I certainly didn't see any threat down that side which exposed Trippier.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 pm

And it's not just Modric. Brozovic has just won Serie A and Kovacic the Champions League. You can't just double up on Modric because the other two are definitely good enough to hurt you.

Trippier is the best full back in the squad defensively, and by some distance. I don't mind him playing at all but not at left back. He didn't do anything wrong but it kills us going forward.

Good win. Lots to do.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:26 pm

He played Trippier so he could step inside and find Sterling's out-to-in runs. It didn't work, because Modric figured out early what was going on there and it was easy for him to stop. I assume we will play different set ups against different sides.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Enjoyed it. We beat a good side in Modric's fox pack. Their passing was a delight at times but we were patient and our fitness showed. Great win to start off the tournament with. I reckon both today's sides will go through from this group. Not sure what Insany's having a go at Kane for? He was man marked, roughed up and fouled repeatedly., yet kept the defence occupied making it easier for others. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Not sure what Insany's having a go at Kane for? He was man marked, roughed up and fouled repeatedly., yet kept the defence occupied making it easier for others. .
Dunno. I would have thought he'd have liked watching a centre forward draw players to him and create space. Genuinely thought that's what he's been calling for for us. Sterling doesn't score without Kane dragging Vida right across the 18 yard box.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Fair enough. My pre-match thoughts were though that this midfield has to first and foremost contain Modric, to then be able go on to play. That's exactly why I agree wholeheartedly with us not having played Grealish the show pony, who earns more through his cheating than through his actual contribution.

Also, for all this talk about playing Trippier at LB, I just took it from that that those who're paid to do their homework on this sort of thing will have sussed that Croatia have a player on their right who likes to cut in onto his left. Whether that's the case or not I'm not sure, but I certainly didn't see any threat down that side which exposed Trippier.
Not a huge Grealish fan myself but I think his role was a bit missed today. We won though and it’s a massive win. Had a few too many now but definitely channeling the spirit of 96 here…it’s coming home and all that…

Kane wasn’t great today and we still won.