Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:32 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:20 pm

The omission of Toney irks me somewhat.
And me. Bagged a couple more away at City today in Brentford's win, too.

Given that Southgate's league career spanned no higher a height than Palace, Villa and Middlesbrough, yet managed 50+ odd games for England, I'd have thought that as a manager he'd have no truck with the old 'big club' mentality. However, I can see no other reason as to why he's taking Rashford ahead of Toney.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:46 pm

Well there's the current FA gambling thing he's being investigated for? Dunno if there's anything in it...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:57 pm

^^ Update: Toney has been charged by the FA with 232 breaches of the gambling rules...I'd be very surprised if Southgate didn't know something was heading down the tracks on this, when he picked his squad...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:27 am

I'll bet 😁

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:47 pm

The England side always gives me the impression the players have just met and are picked hoping they'll click and become a unified team. The old style sides were more a team of regulars than individual ball players. Too many "wizards of dribble" and few coming from one address seems the norm, with a touch of Ian Evatt stubbornness on the part of the manager. Shaw, for me for instance, isn't even an Ashley Cole never mind a Marcello and too fond of hand-grenade receiving of the ball. A classic example of a full back rather than a wing back. Kyle Walker is much more the latter.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:57 pm
^^ Update: Toney has been charged by the FA with 232 breaches of the gambling rules...I'd be very surprised if Southgate didn't know something was heading down the tracks on this, when he picked his squad...
This could've been delayed surely till after the tournament.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:58 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Why would you do that?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:14 pm

Absolutely puts to bed, the argument that he should've gone to Qatar
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:58 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Why would you do that?
Doing it at WC kick off time sort of washes away public interest, as was the case with all the salacious news around previous major events (IIRC some news was aired during the world trade center attacks to achieve a similar goal).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 pm

Thought Maddison or Wilson might have got a start ahead of Rashford.
Glad Foden's starting, mind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:57 pm

Not sure we're not at crossed purposes. Are you suggesting we should've ignored the fact we knew he had 280 betting irregularities charges and just took him anyhow? Or just that we didn't need to announce why he hadn't been picked? Don't see any upsides in either scenario...

In relation to 1) If he's broken the rules, and probably facing a hefty ban, it's right imo that he wasn't picked. Maybe more leeway if it was a "one off" but 280?

On 2) Better to give the explanation prior to leaving than get cut to ribbons should England have a goalless game as they did v USA...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:05 pm

A bit surprised at 3 goals up that Gareth really needed to bring subs on at all. I thought he would have saved some legs for a critical fixture in only five days. We're still at the foot of a tough mountain and there's a lot of danger out there. That said, we escaped any injuries, so maybe he had it right. Foden made a critical difference tonight and Rashford was fizzing. Credit to Harry Kane for his work and a great assist.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:05 pm
A bit surprised at 3 goals up that Gareth really needed to bring subs on at all. I thought he would have saved some legs for a critical fixture in only five days. We're still at the foot of a tough mountain and there's a lot of danger out there. That said, we escaped any injuries, so maybe he had it right. Foden made a critical difference tonight and Rashford was fizzing. Credit to Harry Kane for his work and a great assist.
He brought subs on to save legs though….

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:40 am

Tidy second half, but slow out of the blocks last night

Some questions to be asked about who's in form and who isn't. Kane is a given, but I'd like to see Saka and Rashford flank Kane with Foden playing where the, quite frankly appalling, Henderson played last night
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:57 pm
Not sure we're not at crossed purposes. Are you suggesting we should've ignored the fact we knew he had 280 betting irregularities charges and just took him anyhow? Or just that we didn't need to announce why he hadn't been picked? Don't see any upsides in either scenario...

In relation to 1) If he's broken the rules, and probably facing a hefty ban, it's right imo that he wasn't picked. Maybe more leeway if it was a "one off" but 280?

On 2) Better to give the explanation prior to leaving than get cut to ribbons should England have a goalless game as they did v USA...
Only just read your reply.

280 is a severe amount and shouldn't be taken lightly. The fact that the world cup is starting as it is announced pretty much hides the crime somewhat from public attention.

Had it been after the world cup the appropriate level of coverage could've taken place.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:27 am

Aye, at crossed purposes. I was saying that we didn't have Toney in the squad (which was what you and others were asking), because the likely charges, were known about by the FA/Southgate prior to the squad announcement. News of the charges prior to WC helped Southgate explain why he wasn't in the squad...