Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:50 am
Godspeed to Christian on his recovery. It looks like the players were given two options, play last night or play today and of the two, they didn't fancy a sleepless night and today...
Why couldn’t they just call the thing a draw? What an awful show from UEFA.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 am

Why blame U.E.F.A.? Just like with our own Fabrice, nobody mortal can predict these terrible things happening. U.E.F.A. didn't decide what to do, they left it to the players. Can't see they had much other choice. Given the circumstances,I'm quite sure Finland would have abided by what Denmark wanted to do.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 am

Why blame U.E.F.A.? Just like with our own Fabrice, nobody mortal can predict these terrible things happening. U.E.F.A. didn't decide what to do, they left it to the players. Can't see they had much other choice. I'm quite sure Finland would have abided by what Denmark wanted to do.
They left two options to the players from what we know. Neither of which were "call it a draw"....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:38 pm

World in Motion playing at Wembley. You know it makes sense. None of that plodding dirge written by a 10 year old.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:42 pm

Interesting team selection...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:43 pm

No idea why we are playing a right back at left back.

Gareth has been amazing with his words this week but that feels a bit Dougie Freedman. Especially when for my money we have two excellent left backs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm

That team is an abomination.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Pickford; Walker, Mings, Stones, Trippier; Phillips, Rice; Foden, Mount, Sterling; Kane

That’s the team for those wondering. Feels very ‘lower middle half’ of the premiership to me. I hope to be proven wrong.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 pm
Pickford; Walker, Mings, Stones, Trippier; Phillips, Rice; Foden, Mount, Sterling; Kane

That’s the team for those wondering. Feels very ‘lower middle half’ of the premiership to me. I hope to be proven wrong.
Not sure about that fella. Walker, Stones, Foden, Sterling all got championship medals. Mount won the Champions League and Tripper was in the team that won La Liga. Kane would get into a better team than Spurs...

That said as a team (rather than individuals) it seems a bit weird, but we know he loves Tripper...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Not sure about that fella. Walker, Stones, Foden, Sterling all got championship medals. Mount won the Champions League and Tripper was in the team that won La Liga. Kane would get into a better team than Spurs...

That said as a team (rather than individuals) it seems a bit weird, but we know he loves Tripper...
The core of your team in Mings, Stones, Phillips, Rice. I don’t really think any are international class. And whilst of course al the players have been successful at club level it just doesn’t scream good international side to me. I’d like to be wrong on this one (as I was on Evatt).

I mean Trippier out of position, Stones I don’t rate in a 4, Mings!!!! Sterling had a stinker of a season and Rice and Phillips screams mediocre to me. Just how I see it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:15 pm

I have no idea what your opinion on Rice is based on btw. He's been absolutely top class for two years.

Trippier at LB is batty. Just no.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:15 pm
I have no idea what your opinion on Rice is based on btw. He's been absolutely top class for two years.

Trippier at LB is batty. Just no.
Top class? It’s relative to what you are comparing him to. Let’s see if he can control the midfield against Modric and co today. He should be able to it’s a decent test.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm

The entire premier league which is undoubtedly the strongest league in world football right now.

Stones is also potentially top class, he's been unbelievable for city this year, the player he looked like he could become. It does seem like he needs an organiser next to him though (which is why I'd have gone Coady over Ming's) and I'm not sure if slabhead is that player when he's back. They're both good, but I'm not sure they're a good pair.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:28 pm

I’d like to see England on the front foot today. Squeeze up high line and starve Croatia of the ball. Italy showed the way. If we sit and stand off I honestly think we could be shown up at the back. Midfield is critical it needs to dominate the ball and opposition. Impose itself and not let up. If you let Modric dictate you are dead. As we found out last time round. But he’s older abs Croatia have lost some of their best players. This is on irrespective of the team. But for me it’s about showing intent and attitude. We need Bolton at Crawley not Bolton v Exeter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm
The entire premier league which is undoubtedly the strongest league in world football right now.

Stones is also potentially top class, he's been unbelievable for city this year, the player he looked like he could become. It does seem like he needs an organiser next to him though (which is why I'd have gone Coady over Ming's) and I'm not sure if slabhead is that player when he's back. They're both good, but I'm not sure they're a good pair.
What we need is people able to grasp the opportunity. That for me is what international football is about. For a long time we’ve picked England teams from the premiership with it one of it not the strongest leagues in Europe but we’ve never found a balance with England players and that for me is the issue. I think we rely on foreign imports in clubs for certain key positions in the main. Rice has done well but whether he’s able to drive England from midfield I don’t know. To me he always seems slightly passive. I also don’t know why we play him and Phillips it feels like we are going to invite them on which I believe is a mistake.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I mean that's exactly what he's been doing for West Ham all season. One of the top 3 reasons West Ham nearly got into the top 4.

I think we've had the individuals in the past but a) we never got the balance right, b) those players didn't have the brains at the top level. They were successful with their clubs for their other attributes that say a Spaniard would complement. We now have lots who are coached by more thoughtful managers, who seem bright, who've been abroad, and c) most importantly the shirt seemed to weigh on them. Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney struggled to put their club form into international tournaments. Whereas the current lot don't have the experience of failure. Kane clearly raises it, Grealish has so far. I suspect Foden will.

Anyway, here we f*cking go.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:39 pm

This is what I expected. Foden a threat. Midfield and centre of the park woeful. Is Rice on the pitch?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:49 pm

I thought that was good. Far the better side. Midfield is where they are world class and we've matched them and stopped them playing.

Classic Raheem. Exceptional up until the very last bit. Phillips impressive tbf. They look very ropey in behind. Not having to work particularly hard, just pretty straight balls over the top.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Issues with both fullbacks. Trippier being shut down by a player standing inside him and Walker misplacing his passes.

Generally not bad and I think the subs will have an impact when we use them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:49 pm
I thought that was good. Far the better side. Midfield is where they are world class and we've matched them and stopped them playing.

Classic Raheem. Exceptional up until the very last bit. Phillips impressive tbf. They look very ropey in behind. Not having to work particularly hard, just pretty straight balls over the top.
That’s an incredibly optimistic assessment. Phillips has been the better of a woeful centre of midfield. I’d have Rice off at HT. Walker has been appalling. Mount anonymous. Sterling stretched them well but lacking end product as ever. Kane not in the game.

Needs changes. Some of these aren’t up to it.