Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Your England XI

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am

In case you failed to miss the odd occasion on which the commentators referred to it last night, it was Roy's *last chance to look at his players before the squad is announced*.

So what would your XI and shape be?

I'd go:

---------------------------Hart-----------------------------

Johnson-------Cahill--Jagielka-------------------
----_---------------------- ------------------------Baines

----------------Gerrard------Wilshere---------------

Townsend-----------Lallana------Rooney---

_--------------------------Sturridge--------------------
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Your England XI

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 am

Anyone who knows how to run past the man with the feckin ball, please.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Anyone who knows how to run past the man with the feckin ball, please.
You aren't suggesting Mavies are you ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:11 am

Prufrock wrote:In case you failed to miss the odd occasion on which the commentators referred to it last night, it was Roy's *last chance to look at his players before the squad is announced*.

So what would your XI and shape be?

I'd go:

---------------------------Hart-----------------------------

Johnson-------Cahill--Jagielka-------------------
----_---------------------- ------------------------Baines

----------------Gerrard------Wilshere---------------

Townsend-----------Lallana------Rooney---

_--------------------------Sturridge--------------------
Difficult to nail down for me. They'll have to be a bit flexible against different teams. The Sun's "expert" rated Cahill a 6 and Smalling 7 last night and gave Wilshire a 6 also. I didn't see that. Smalling seemed to tire second half and I thought Cahill had a pretty solid game. Pretty much agree with your team in principle but Rooney needs to sharpen his game up a bit. Some of his passes were less than encouraging and his shooting was way off. I'd also like to see Welbeck in there. Luke Shaw impressed and it's going to be tough between him and Cole as second man to Baines. Townsend and Lallana promise much from what I've seen so far. I still see Lampard as the only real choice should anything happen to Gerard. We have a pretty decent squad but it's all still unclear as to what Roy sees as his Hobson's.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Anyone who knows how to run past the man with the feckin ball, please.
Actually, I worded that sentence horrible. I meant that when we have the ball, there is nobody in front making movement or an overlap. There were so many times when johnson had it on the right with just a fullback there, all it needed was a winger/mfer to run down the line to either make space or essentially get in behind. Did it ever happen? Did it feck.

Of course Mavies should be there by rights, anyway.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Actually, I worded that sentence horrible. I meant that when we have the ball, there is nobody in front making movement or an overlap. There were so many times when johnson had it on the right with just a fullback there, all it needed was a winger/mfer to run down the line to either make space or essentially get in behind. Did it ever happen? Did it feck.Of course Mavies should be there by rights, anyway.
I thought Stirling was going to do just that, he even started the game doing it, then disappeared all over the place.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 am

After some terrible displays this season capped by a dreadful game on Sunday there is no way Phil Jones should be anywhere near this squad.

Welbeck can get tae too.

And Carrick.

In fact all of 'em. Including Rooney who is a totally natural hairs breadth away from getting sent off and mouthing off to the fans.

Talking of Rooney I was wondering how many important goals he's scored for England. I can't remember him getting many openers or winners. Most of them seem to be the second or third in a 3-0 against the Andora Working Mens Club Second XI, if I was the Googling kind I'd look it up but from memory he's not really been much of an actual match winner has he?
But mainly Phil Jones.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 am

What with us being relegated to the backwaters of football, and me therefore not inhabiting the rarified heights that is the home of Ingurland International types, my selection would probably be at least a year out of date, but: Hart, Gerrard, Sturridge and Jagielka would be nailed on certainties, the rest I don't know really.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:06 am

I think I'd have to find room for Sterling and Lallana for sure. Carrick is the type of player I think England need but he's just not playing well at the moment, difficult.

Rooney is probably more likely to do fecking nothing than win a match, but do you take him out? Too risky a call for Hodgson, he'd be destroyed in the press if it didn't work out.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:39 pm

why roy hodge has 83 southampton players in his squad , i'll never know.

when bolton were top eight-ing it on the reg, nolan and davies and the likes never got a look in. some kinda bias going on there.

with tossbeck , carrick and the other assorted failures , and gerrard'll go missing when a big team susses him out after 5 minutes and he'll dives all over the shop to win zero penalties.

first round knockout shocker

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 pm

a1 wrote:why roy hodge has 83 southampton players in his squad , i'll never know.

when bolton were top eight-ing it on the reg, nolan and davies and the likes never got a look in. some kinda bias going on there.

with tossbeck , carrick and the other assorted failures , and gerrard'll go missing when a big team susses him out after 5 minutes and he'll dives all over the shop to win zero penalties.

first round knockout shocker
Over to you, Prufrock. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Really?

Why are there loads of Southampton players in the squad. There weren't many Bolton players when we were good. In there with the other failures including Gerrard who will go missing and not win any penalties with his diving. We'll surprisingly (sarcastic) get knocked out in the first round.

Seems pretty clear to me :conf:

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 am

it'll happen.

he'll probably still take defoe too , who'll he'll need for his special ability to miss them chances where its easier to score.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:34 am

Cahill surely has to be first pick for centre half? For me the best English centre back around at the minute.

If Terry came out of retirement then he and Cahill would be my England two at the back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Yep, really looks the part. Jagielka is fine too, but it gets worrying once you get beyond that!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 am

£90 for the new England shirt. :roll:

Folk are turning away from the England national team in droves and the FA response is to charge up to 90 quid for the replica shirts.
Businesswoman of the year.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 am

Oh and the last kit only came out last May. England have played seven matches since then.

Wankers.
Businesswoman of the year.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Oh and the last kit only came out last May. England have played seven matches since then.

Wankers.

To be fair though that's for the TECHNICAL shirt the ACTUAL players will wear.

There is a much more affordable option for £60 (£42 for kids) for us mere mortals. :roll:

I won't be buying.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:Oh and the last kit only came out last May. England have played seven matches since then.

Wankers.

There is a much more affordable option for £60 (£42 for kids) for us mere mortals. :roll:

I won't be buying.[/quote

I brought a some of England shorts last week for £10 and was surprised how cheap they were. Now I know why, not that it matters as they are England shorts which is all that really matters.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Wankers.

I won't be buying.[/quote

I brought a some of England shorts last week for £10 and was surprised how cheap they were. Now I know why, not that it matters as they are England shorts which is all that really matters.
You're not one of them full kit wankers are you? :shock: