Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm
Not just about 'best players' - its also about the balance and best team. I'm not sure we really know what that is.
All day long.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:02 pm

Been watching this today - re all the Gascoigne talk.

Just to remember how genuinely and uniquely world class he was from about 88-92.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDao0bwyGBA&t=23s

Unreal.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:31 pm

I've just watched the whole Germany game again. (BBCI Player) Harry Kane had a real bagful of clever and useful touches as well as scoring one goal and being right amongst the other. He also kept the German defence occupied. Anybody who thinks he's just the big-guy up front should take another good look. So glad he got a goal. I hope this kicks off a few more for him. Go H!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:45 pm

People have been saying for a long time that if Sancho played for Utd he'd be in the England team. He starts his first match of the campaign immediately after agreeing to join Utd.

I know there's more to it and it's a tactical pick, but social media is going to be fun after this.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:45 pm
People have been saying for a long time that if Sancho played for Utd he'd be in the England team. He starts his first match of the campaign immediately after agreeing to join Utd.

I know there's more to it and it's a tactical pick, but social media is going to be fun after this.
Great little run from him there, great honesty to keep going after the foul. Italians would've gone down like Willem Dafoe in Platoon. Adagio for strings, the lot!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:51 pm

Really enjoyed that. About the team I'd have picked. Tempo, punchy. Sancho excellent. More of the same please m
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Tactically (and optimistically)speaking, do we see Gareth picking the same team to play Denmark as played against Ukraine (with the thought in the back of his mind that Italy or Spain will be a vastly different kettle of Spaghetti or Paella should we repel the Vikings and get through unscathed from injury?) Safe to say, should such event occur, either of the possible finalists will certainly go all out to win come whatever it takes complete with diving, cheating, play-acting, fouling and some class football thrown in.

So Gareth, what sayest thou?

p.s. The ref may be the most important man on the pitch....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm
Tactically (and optimistically)speaking, do we see Gareth picking the same team to play Denmark as played against Ukraine (with the thought in the back of his mind that Italy or Spain will be a vastly different kettle of Spaghetti or Paella should we repel the Vikings and get through unscathed from injury?) Safe to say, should such event occur, either of the possible finalists will certainly go all out to win come whatever it takes complete with diving, cheating, play-acting, fouling and some class football thrown in.

I’ve seen us in 3 semi finals in my lifetime and we’ve lost them all. I think we should worry about Wednesday and win it before anything else. The Denmark game is massive. Huge. They beat us last time out too so I hope Gareth simply focuses everything on winning that game. There are three full days after that, god willing, to worry about anything else.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:36 pm

I’ve seen us in 3 semi finals in my lifetime and we’ve lost them all.
Meanwhile, in my rose-tinted world... ae:)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:20 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm

I don't think you can really given how well we played. Denmark will be a much tougher nut to crack, and offer more going forward, but things just seemed to click on Saturday in a way they haven't in the tournament previously. No looking ahead of this one!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nothing to do with positivity or otherwise. Thinking about anything other than beating Denmark is too dangerous. We have a semi final - we’ve not won one of those since 1966. Denmark are a good side. Let’s just win it then worry about the final.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:24 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nothing to do with positivity or otherwise. Thinking about anything other than beating Denmark is too dangerous. We have a semi final - we’ve not won one of those since 1966. Denmark are a good side. Let’s just win it then worry about the final.
Did you actually read my post? It wan't day-dreaming; it was about selection for beating Denmark with a possible other/even tougher game just three days later and how G.S. will be thinking. We don't beat the Danes, story ends.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:45 pm

Beat Hungary 4-0 in Budapest. Had Kane and Stirling been a bit more on song it could easily have been 7 or 8-0. Good all round performance by our lads. Bad scenes from the home crowd, racism and sheer loutism from a lot of the crowd. Hungary will be in lumber for this.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:09 am

That was a very impressive performance and scoreline for England. England's first half was reminiscent of our 2nd half at Cambridge. Lots of possession and keep moving the ball around to stretch them. In England's case, they moved it much quicker and could afford to be patient as they had another 45 minutes to go at.

Great to see Sterling shove it right down their fans throats with a top drawer performance too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:20 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Beat Hungary 4-0 in Budapest. Had Kane and Stirling been a bit more on song it could easily have been 7 or 8-0. Good all round performance by our lads. Bad scenes from the home crowd, racism and sheer loutism from a lot of the crowd. Hungary will be in lumber for this.
They already were. Nothing happens. The racism in Eastern Europe is tutted at by UEFA but they never do anything useful about it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:41 pm

For info. England v Andorra is a 5-0' clock kick off this evening. I.T.V.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:28 pm

As pretty much expected, a 4-0 win for England. Andorra not much class, but a very solid performance by England. Second half, Kane scored a penalty, hit the bar, had a cracker saved and missed a sitter. Decent show all round from England's second team. Great energy, pace and effort gives hope we're on the way. Enjoyed it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:17 pm

V Poland on T.V tonight. Expecting a much tougher game; Poland are a decent side...and the have Lewandowski (Levandovski) up front. Come on England... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Gutted. Poland equalise in extra time. 1-1

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:41 am

England V Albania tonight. Clashes with Strictly. Which will have more foxtrotting? :D