what is the Fullest/Empiest ground you have watched football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hbk4894
Hopeful
Hopeful

what is the Fullest/Empiest ground you have watched football

Post by hbk4894 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:26 pm

for me

Fullest - when we played Madrid in the Uefa cup in 2008

Empiest - when we played Wigan in the Fa Cup at DW Stadium about 4 years ago.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Re: what is the Fullest/Empiest ground you have watched foot

Post by danardif1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 am

Fullest? Probably at the AWD Arena (or whatever it's called now... Niedersachsenstadion for it's proper name) for Hannover vs Real Madrid back in 2007 I think. Pre-season friendly and it was a full house, but then lots of the games I went to there were full as well. I miss living in Germany for things like that... going to Bundesliga games was great fun.

Fantastic place to watch football.

Emptiest? I really don't know. I've never been to a ground of a professional side that's been THAT empty, other than some matches that I went to see my then-local semi-pro team TuS Celle play now and then... Couple of hundred people sometimes. Was okay for a couple of euros though and a decent bar.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:54 am

I watched a Barcelona league game around 6 years ago in the Nou Camp. I think they were playing Villarreal or Deportivo. Although the official attendance was near to 60,000 this was mainly season ticket holders who didn't turn up (I think it was a 10pm kick off). There couldn't have been much more than 7000 fans in the ground.

Although it is not the game with the smallest attendance it felt like it as the ground has a capacity of 100,000.

Oh and Barcelona were dire and lost 2-1.
Last edited by malcd1 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 am

I don't know if it really counts but I went to watch a local pub team play and I was the only person there apart from the 22 players that were playing and the officials, there was also a couple of substitutes.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 am

Depends what you mean by fullest. Do you mean had the most people in it, in which case it's probably one of the Wembley trips/or Redshite away @ 75,000 or one that felt fullest, in which case it's probably Everton at Burnden in the League Cup semi in 77 (that was only 50,000, but standing largely and felt a lot fuller than Wembley with 75,000 on it)

Emptiest probably against Chester in the early 80's in the League Cup @ home. Couple of 1000.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 am

Aye, I was in Burnden for that semi, and also there on the embankment in 1970 for the Leeds -v- ManU replay, surrounded by reds! Leeds won 1-0.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:41 am

↑↑↑ Again that semi when I was in the Lever End and also on the Paddock v Newcastle around 1976 (3-3, great game) when there was, simply, no room to move.

Empty, Burnden pre-seaon in 1976 in (I think) an Anglo-Italian match v ....... Burnley. How Italian were they then ? Must have been about 1,500 tops. Also a Welsh Cup match at Wrexham v Bangor. The kids were given free tickets and wanted to go. The only side allowing fans in was the one opposite the TV cameras. Both ends were shut. At a guess there were less than 1,000 and few of those had paid. Loads of kids bored after 20 minutes were playing tig. The football was appalling.

Any ground where you can hear the players and there's an echo is a strange experience.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Went to a Sherpa Daf Paints game against Rochdale one evening in the 90s at Burnden. 1500 or so of us were treated to a Reevesy hat-trick on the coldest night I've ever watched football.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm

In May 99 we played Watford at Wembley in front of 70,343. The very next time I saw us was in the August of that year in the 1st round of the League Cup against Darlington at The Feethams in front of 5,361. That was a bit weird.

The lowest crowd I've been in for a league game was also against Darlo on Bommy night 1985. A 3-0 home defeat in front of 2,902 on a night so wet that the attendance would have been further reduced by four but we couldn't get our bommy lit. I'm sure I'll have seen us play in front of less if Freight Rover and Lancs/Manx games though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:24 pm

I was at the Darlo game too. Highest league crowd would be watching us at old scumford although biggest crowd I've been in would be the 1982 cup final - 100, 000
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I was at the Darlo game too. Highest league crowd would be watching us at old scumford although biggest crowd I've been in would be the 1982 cup final - 100, 000
Good call, I went to the 1986 one after my Grandpa was given some tickets. 98,000
Wanted Everton to win but Liverpool did. Great experience. he also took me to Wembley 9 years later for the playoff final, that was greater!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Biggest crowd I've been in at Burnden was 58692, 14 02 1959, v PNE in the FA Cup. 2-2.

Was a tight fit!

Don't know what the smallest one was for a game of significance. Several around 5000 I'd guess.

journojonesy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by journojonesy » Mon May 05, 2014 8:59 pm

I once went to watch Leigh RMI play at Hilton Park. The attendance for the game was about 250...sadly the away team brought 230ish. Completely bizarre atmosphere with literally about a dozen home fans.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Wembley, today, for the birds FA cup final. They may as well have played it on Newhouse Farm. Look, I'm all in favour of birds footie, but let's remember how shit it is and how embarrassing the goalkeepers are. What is it with the BBC that they insist on portraying it so as to be equally important? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 pm

I watched National v Beira Mar in 2004, National were about to finish 4th in the Primeira Liga behind Mourinho's Champions League winning Porto side, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. The gate was less than 250. Some depth in that league.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Wembley, today, for the birds FA cup final. They may as well have played it on Newhouse Farm. Look, I'm all in favour of birds footie, but let's remember how shit it is and how embarrassing the goalkeepers are. What is it with the BBC that they insist on portraying it so as to be equally important? :conf:
A combination of being all metropolitan and right on .... and having next to no other sport contracts nowadays.

I can cope with the latter, but there's a terrific drive to publicise Wimminz footy as being equal. It's "Super League" gets more news coverage now than the Championship for proper football.

It's excruciating to watch. You may as well show local school football for the ability that's on view.

I await the day when proper clubs are made to select a minimum of 3 wimmin per game.

Titter ye not. You read it here first.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I await the day when proper clubs are made to select a minimum of 3 wimmin per game.

Titter ye not. You read it here first.
Surely there'll never be quotas in the beautiful game!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Mind you .... slightly related ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... shirt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Mind you .... slightly related ;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... shirt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well it might get a few more spectators through the gate! :shock:

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Has anyone ever been the first in, or last out of a ground? After a game when there's been thousands in, there's a very funny sensation when everyone's gone, bar the groundsmen pulling down the nets, maybe a TV interview packing up and just silence (or maybe the wind rustling the crisp packets)?