Mackay to Wigan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Mackay to Wigan

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Despite the reservations of our more sensitive types - probably not a bad pick from the pie eating bastards.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Mackay to Wigan

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Will see how he does when he doesn't have a shit ton of cash to throw at it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:29 pm

A decent option .... if you are Whelan and think the World loves you so much you can ignore the shitstorm. Or maybe Wigginers aren't as sensitive as we are.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Do we think Whelan told him about himself breaking his leg in a cup final?

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:Will see how he does when he doesn't have a shit ton of cash to throw at it.
we saw how well he did when he did have- second from bottom, iirc

lennon or this guy ?

hmm, let me think....

in the absence of Five Live interviews MM probably sent Broken Leg Face** a personalised selection box with the brown vice-versas taken out .

i heard* he was sending him a personalised monopoly board for christmas, with the 'chance' cards saying things like "You break Your Leg in a Fa Cup Final. go directly to the hospital . if you pass go do not collect 200 pounds. miss 3 turns months of the football season". but theyve not shipped it from slope country china yet.

must be cheaper than a chair that massages his ego

*made up a joke that

** dave whelan

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:09 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Do we think Whelan told him about himself breaking his leg in a cup final?
I didn't know that he had. :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Do we think Whelan told him about himself breaking his leg in a cup final?
I didn't know that he had. :shock:
Is this genuine? How unlucky could someone be? Breaking a leg is bad enough, but in a cup final? Wow. I wonder if he's ever mentioned this to anyone. :conf:
Hope is what keeps us going.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:57 pm

a1 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Will see how he does when he doesn't have a shit ton of cash to throw at it.
we saw how well he did when he did have- second from bottom, iirc

lennon or this guy ?

hmm, let me think....

in the absence of Five Live interviews MM probably sent Broken Leg Face** a personalised selection box with the brown vice-versas taken out .

i heard* he was sending him a personalised monopoly board for christmas, with the 'chance' cards saying things like "You break Your Leg in a Fa Cup Final. go directly to the hospital . if you pass go do not collect 200 pounds. miss 3 turns months of the football season". but theyve not shipped it from slope country china yet.

must be cheaper than a chair that massages his ego

*made up a joke that

** dave whelan

Okayyyyyyyy!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 am

The predictable groups are criticising the appointment because they have to or Rio Ferdinand won't wear their tshirt etc., but really he's been humiliated publicly, lost a top job and forfeited lots of compensation, missed out on another prem job, and been out of work for a year. I'd say he's been punished enough. As for waiting for the FA inquiry, how long are you supposed to wait? Should have been done and dusted ages ago.
Whelan was doing quite well until he described him as 'unlucky' and said that 'what he's done is tiny really' in the grand scheme of things. He also managed to patronise his local female MP who quite reasonably written to him to express concerns expressed by constituents. He always finds a way to be a dick.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:12 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
Okayyyyyyyy!
even though i were joking , i werent a million miles away and only one day away from this-

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ish-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bet his parlour is full of gollywogs

gartside + lennon is a million times better.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Shirt sponsor has apparently pulled out of sponsorship deal. :-)

They sell kitchens. It's probably the one that posts randomly on websites...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30137728
Attempting to defend the Scot in an interview with the Guardian, Whelan reportedly said: "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else."

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:09 pm

and this...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ish-people
However, he said the word “chink” is not offensive, and that he used to say it of Chinese people when he was young. “If any Englishman said he has never called a Chinaman a chink he is lying,” Whelan said. “There is nothing bad about doing that. It is like calling the British Brits, or the Irish paddies.”

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:47 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those people who want Mackay to be banished for life need to think long and hard about whether they would want Vincent Tan holding their livelihoods in the palm of his creepy, gloved hand.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those people who want Mackay to be banished for life need to think long and hard about whether they would want Vincent Tan holding their livelihoods in the palm of his creepy, gloved hand.
Well I want neither, but I don't understand your point. :conf:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:51 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those people who want Mackay to be banished for life need to think long and hard about whether they would want Vincent Tan holding their livelihoods in the palm of his creepy, gloved hand.
Correct me if I'm wrong but what seems to have happened is that months after Mackay had his falling out with Tan and was fired, Tan combed through Mackay's correspondence looking for something to damage Mackay's reputation and hinder his future employment. That's creepy. Whatever Mackay said, to me that's "fruit of the poisonous tree" as we say in America.

What Whelan should have said was "We don't approve of what Mackay said. But we also don't want to live in a world where a vindictive boss has the power to comb through 70,000 text messages and ruin a man's life."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:12 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but what seems to have happened is that months after Mackay had his falling out with Tan and was fired, Tan combed through Mackay's correspondence looking for something to damage Mackay's reputation and hinder his future employment. That's creepy. Whatever Mackay said, to me that's "fruit of the poisonous tree" as we say in America.

What Whelan should have said was "We don't approve of what Mackay said. But we also don't want to live in a world where a vindictive boss has the power to comb through 70,000 text messages and ruin a man's life."
So that Mackay's now being hauled over the coals for his horrendous remarks is all Tan's fault? As we ask in Bolton - Are you pissed? :crazy:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:27 pm

LeverEnd wrote:and this...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ish-people
However, he said the word “chink” is not offensive, and that he used to say it of Chinese people when he was young. “If any Englishman said he has never called a Chinaman a chink he is lying,” Whelan said. “There is nothing bad about doing that. It is like calling the British Brits, or the Irish paddies.”
Well Mackay didn't called a Chinese person a chink, he called a Korean one. So it's both offensive and inaccurate!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

So that Mackay's now being hauled over the coals for his horrendous remarks is all Tan's fault? As we ask in Bolton - Are you pissed? :crazy:

:D. The fruits of a the poisonous tree thing is dodgy in legal circles where caution should be the best option (and it doesn't cut it here, because it's mental). As you point out, it isn't Tan's fault he sent them (though I wouldn't want Tan near my club either. Thankfully it's not an either-or).

I actually thought Whelan came across OK in that interview he did the other day, so it's good to see it's not taken him long to revert to his natural jebendery.

I'm also quite happy to second a1's proposition that I wouldn't swap. So if hand-wringers meant we lost out on Mackay and instead got NL, go hand-wringers!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:38 am

The fact that Tan is a horrible vindictive bastard doesn't alter the fact that what they did was wrong. Two separate points.

Whelan just can't resist the sound of his own voice.