Mackay to Wigan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Mackay to Wigan

Post by Athers » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 am

Not glad Whelan perpetuates such outdated and offensive language, but in a way glad that gobshite Whelan has finally let something slip which turns the oh-so-favourable media against him.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:53 am

LeverEnd wrote:and this...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ish-people
However, he said the word “chink” is not offensive, and that he used to say it of Chinese people when he was young. “If any Englishman said he has never called a Chinaman a chink he is lying,” Whelan said. “There is nothing bad about doing that. It is like calling the British Brits, or the Irish paddies.”
As big a knob as Whelan is, this makes me feel like shouting at him "Stop digging!"
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Wigan Athletic: A family club.

For white, British families
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:18 pm

could be worse, he could be chopping some jew's head off on video and some right on type could defend him by blaming george bush for making him doing it.

let them employ him, let folk take the piss.

the annual Lee to wigan rumours'll start in december, and dave already sees an opportunity to make money by selling wigan shirts to south koreans selling dogmeat pies at the JJB Stadium

:/

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:The fact that Tan is a horrible vindictive bastard doesn't alter the fact that what they did was wrong. Two separate points.
I just can't get behind this. What if Tan had hacked Mackay's personal cell phone to find the texts? Or hacked his personal emails? Would everyone be saying "Well, Tan shouldn't have done that, but Mackay should still be ostracized for life?" I get that it's a little different because it was apparently a club cell phone. If the texts had been discovered while Mackay was still employed, I'd say by all means, fire him. But the fact that Tan went digging for this stuff six months after Mackay was sacked, not coincidentally at the time Mackay was up for another job, is unacceptable. And I think the Internet lynch mob is complicit in a pathetic vendetta from a complete scumbag.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:01 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:The fact that Tan is a horrible vindictive bastard doesn't alter the fact that what they did was wrong. Two separate points.
I just can't get behind this. What if Tan had hacked Mackay's personal cell phone to find the texts? Or hacked his personal emails? Would everyone be saying "Well, Tan shouldn't have done that, but Mackay should still be ostracized for life?" I get that it's a little different because it was apparently a club cell phone. If the texts had been discovered while Mackay was still employed, I'd say by all means, fire him. But the fact that Tan went digging for this stuff six months after Mackay was sacked, not coincidentally at the time Mackay was up for another job, is unacceptable. And I think the Internet lynch mob is complicit in a pathetic vendetta from a complete scumbag.
is anyone denying that Mackay wrote what it is reported that he wrote?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:13 pm

thebish wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
No, and I'm not denying it either, and I'm not saying they weren't offensive. I'm questioning why people want to be the agents of Tan's personal vendetta, and if they want to give the power to their bosses to disqualify them from future employment forever.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:25 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
thebish wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
No, and I'm not denying it either, and I'm not saying they weren't offensive. I'm questioning why people want to be the agents of Tan's personal vendetta, and if they want to give the power to their bosses to disqualify them from future employment forever.
i don't think people DO want to be agents of "Tan's personal vendetta" - nor are they interested in giving power to their bosses to disqualify them from work (I suspect that already exists anyway in many cases).

what people are doing is reacting against Mackay for the plainly offensive comments he made. That seems entirely reasonable to me.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Culture and a belief of how far free speech goes is at the root of this disagreement immediately before this post.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:00 pm

jaffka wrote:Culture and a belief of how far free speech goes is at the root of this disagreement immediately before this post.
I had that thought as well.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Not yo defend tan, who I think is a dick, but to add some bslance, it's worth remembering the circumstances of Mackays departure from Cardiff. He took on his boss publicly, pretty much dared him to sack him. Then tried to sue with moody, denying the transfer overspend. At that point they were bound to check their phones and emails ahead of a possible court case. Due to his stupidity, complacency and arrogance they found the perfect ammo for gross misconduct. The leak before the palace job was vindictive without doubt, but MM the innocent victim in all this? No way.
I hope the FA hurry up and draw a line under it and he can get on with relegating Wigan.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Holier than thou attitude going here from H.P

If McKay had set about sullying my name and making me look a right tw*t by using his media pals and (at the time) good will to use against me after I'd given him a shitload of money to pis up the swanny, I'd ruin the fvcker given the opportunity

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:Holier than thou attitude going here from H.P

If McKay had set about sullying my name and making me look a right tw*t by using his media pals and (at the time) good will to use against me after I'd given him a shitload of money to pis up the swanny, I'd ruin the fvcker given the opportunity
↑↑↑↑ Spoken like a proper Boltonian. Bravo.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Salford...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:Salford...
Oh. I'm sorry.

Not for being wrong. For you being from Salford !! 8)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm sure that should have been

Salford, innit.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Solfod

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
I just can't get behind this. What if Tan had hacked Mackay's personal cell phone to find the texts? Or hacked his personal emails? Would everyone be saying "Well, Tan shouldn't have done that, but Mackay should still be ostracized for life?"
I don't know what line of work you're in, but employers, as far as I know, and certainly at our place have every right to scrutinise every email, text, or communication of any sort that's communicated via company equipment. There are no such things as personal emails or personal texts using company equipment. Nobody's talking about anybody hacking Mackay's personal apparatus.

Can you 'get with that'?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:23 pm

He has a right to say all those things, but he doesn't have a right not to be thought an arse by others for having said them. Free speech means the ability to say what you want without legal consequence, not without social ones.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:
I just can't get behind this. What if Tan had hacked Mackay's personal cell phone to find the texts? Or hacked his personal emails? Would everyone be saying "Well, Tan shouldn't have done that, but Mackay should still be ostracized for life?"
I don't know what line of work you're in, but employers, as far as I know, and certainly at our place have every right to scrutinise every email, text, or communication of any sort that's communicated via company equipment. There are no such things as personal emails or personal texts using company equipment. Nobody's talking about anybody hacking Mackay's personal apparatus.
Yes, I'm aware of that. And as I said, if this had been found while Mackay was still at Cardiff and he was fired as a result of the texts, I'd understand it. I'm taking issue with Tan digging through months-old texts looking for something to sabotage Mackay's appointment at Crystal Palace. I think that's the angle that Whelan should have taken. Yeah, Mackay screwed up, but why should Wigan deny themselves the best available manager just to serve a rival chairman's grudge?