Coyle to Houston Dynamo?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DynamoGuy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Coyle to Houston Dynamo?

Post by DynamoGuy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:49 pm

News reports are circulating in both England and USA that Owen Coyle is expected to be announced next week as the new Houston Dynamo manager. Is this good or bad for the Dynamo? What should a Dynamo supporter know about Coyle?

By the way, the talk about Coyle has some here hoping that if he does come to terms with the Dynamo, he'll be able to lure former Dynamo fan favorite, Stuart Holden, to return to his former MLS club. Holden always says he has fond memories of his time in Houston where he still has family so it could happen. That's assuming he can return to the form he had when he was here last. Considering his injuries since he left, that's not a given.

Cheers,
DynamoGuy

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Coyle to Houston Dynamo?

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Former club hoping he comes back to injury and they can help him get back to the form he had for them is our shtick thanks :D!

Coyle is a know-nowt chancer without the foggiest idea what he's doing, absolutely no idea how the game works and a shit eye for a player. He is very good short-term though at lifting people and getting players onside and fighting for the team and playing with positivity.

I'd imagine he sees it as a fairly short term thing and (no offence) as a stepping stone back to England. If so, then if your current problems are good players underperforming then he could be good for you. Short-term improvement meaning he can move on before he has time to replace all your good players with expensive spineless shithouses.

Otherwise, avoid like the plague!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DynamoGuy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DynamoGuy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:47 pm

No offense taken. Every player and manager in MLS dreams of moving to Europe. I can admit MLS is not one of the great leagues and still love my MLS club.

If what you describe is true then he may be a good fit here. A new manager coming in should have the balls to take a fresh look at every player on the bench and award starting jobs on what he sees without the past clouding his judgment. Nothing makes a starter play harder than a young gun who now sees a real opportunity to get on the pitch. That could really help us after this last disappointing season. Trust me when I say I know disappointment, I'm a Blackpool supporter, too. (But ever the optimist!)

Thanks for your thoughts.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:32 pm

As someone who both knows MLS and lived through Coyle's time at Bolton, I can assure you this would be a horrendous appointment.

Coyle is not a hard worker. Reports were that training consisted almost entirely of five-a-side and table tennis. Set pieces were not practiced at all, and considering how vital set piece goals have been to Houston, this is a problem. MLS is, by design, one of the most balanced league in the world, and Houston isn't a team like LA or Seattle or NYCFC that is spending big bucks on top players. Your success was based on Kinnear's organization and ability to get the most from his players. Coyle possesses neither attribute.

MLS is an immensely complicated league. Salary caps, international roster sports, Superdrafts, expansion drafts, re-entry drafts, dispersal drafts, home grown players, designated players . . . none of which Coyle will be familiar with. It's an immense learning curve, and I don't think he has the attention span to deal with it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 pm

he'll bid $18million for chris eagles and tyrone mears

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:40 pm

DynamoGuy wrote:News reports are circulating in both England and USA that Owen Coyle is expected to be announced next week as the new Houston Dynamo manager. Is this good or bad for the Dynamo?
It'd be an absolute disaster, Owd Lad.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Many on here were pleased when he was appointed manager, especially given what went before. The honeymoon did not last as long as it might have done.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Many on here were pleased when he was appointed manager, especially given what went before. The honeymoon did not last as long as it might have done.
And the divorce was expensive!!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Credit where it's due, taking Burnley to the Premier League was an outstanding achievement. There are plenty of managers with nothing close to that on their CV who'll get chance after chance in this country. I'm surprised he's jumped to the MLS so soon.

DynamoGuy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DynamoGuy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:39 pm

For better or worse, Dynamo and Coyle have agreed to a 3 year deal. He'll be taking the reigns of a MLS club that in the last 9 years has failed to reach the playoffs only twice, gone to the MLS Cup final 4 times, and been league champions twice. The point is we're not talking about FC Dallas. We have high expectations and, as H. Pedersen pointed out, Coyle has a lot of work to do if he is to be successful in MLS and in Houston. My fingers are crossed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:22 am

3 years? What's the divison below MLS called?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:3 years? What's the divison below MLS called?

Retirement :P

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 am

ChrisC wrote:

Retirement :P
I thought MLS was retirement. If so then it must be death.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

DynamoGuy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DynamoGuy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:51 pm

The three professional divisions in the US, in order, are Major League Soccer (MLS,) North American Soccer League (NASL,) and USL Pro but league structure is quite different. As with all pro sports in the US, the teams in a given division are there because the team owner purchased the right (a franchise) to play in that division from the league. Franchises in all leagues are tightly controlled. League expansion is more common in MLS at this time than other more mature US leagues. While MLS (and soccer in general) continues to grow in the US, it remains well behind the big four sports (American football, basketball, baseball, and hockey.) Given MLS' franchise model, the concept of promotion/relegation does not exist here.

As has been pointed out, as far as Coyle is concerned, if he's not successful in MLS, he may as well be retired because his coaching career is likely dead.

Just to show he's not a complete boob, it has been reported that Coyle will keep the two existing assistant coaches (Steve Ralson and Wade Barrett) and goalkeeper coach (Tim Hanley.) Ralston and Barrett are highly regarded former MLS players (former Dynamo captain in the case of Barrett) and are now highly regarded assistants in MLS. A staff with intimate knowledge of MLS will be important in helping Coyle operate in a league far different than what he's used to.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Is he taking the fat bloke?? he's a dab hand at setting the cones out!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:47 am

Fully expect to see the headline (tucked away next to wimmin's footie scores) that Robbie Blake has signed for Houston.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:50 pm

i really wish the Dynamos the best of luck.

I think Coyle can be inspirational as a leader when things are going well - taking Burnley to the Prem and his first 18 months with us...

He had ill fortune when two key players received long term injuries (one of them being Stuart Holden - and ALL Bolton fans really wish him well, we loved him)...

When the going got very tough he was trapped by tactical inflexibility and a stubbornness that drove us crazy.

When we were playing badly he clearly had no idea how to organise a teram going through a poor period...

good luck - no Bolton fan would ever have him back... hope you get a good three years... it isn't impossible...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:34 am

William the White wrote:i really wish the Dynamos the best of luck.

I think Coyle can be inspirational as a leader when things are going well - taking Burnley to the Prem and his first 18 months with us...

He had ill fortune when two key players received long term injuries (one of them being Stuart Holden - and ALL Bolton fans really wish him well, we loved him)...

When the going got very tough he was trapped by tactical inflexibility and a stubbornness that drove us crazy.

When we were playing badly he clearly had no idea how to organise a teram going through a poor period...

good luck - no Bolton fan would ever have him back... hope you get a good three years... it isn't impossible...
More than halfway through the season, Coyle's got those Dynamos up into a tie for last place in the West.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.