Allardyces dream job...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:48 am

thebish wrote:I just don't know... part of me thinks it'd be great - another part of me wonders if what it is Allardyce achieves is achieved because of the day-to-day contact with players that helps him build a squad-culture... is it so easy to do this with just the odd training camp? I don't know...
There's no doubt he does that very well, but he's shown he's adaptable and I'm confident he'd find a way with an international squad. I think they're crying out for a strong leader and there's no better candidate.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 am

LeverEnd wrote:
thebish wrote:I just don't know... part of me thinks it'd be great - another part of me wonders if what it is Allardyce achieves is achieved because of the day-to-day contact with players that helps him build a squad-culture... is it so easy to do this with just the odd training camp? I don't know...
There's no doubt he does that very well, but he's shown he's adaptable and I'm confident he'd find a way with an international squad. I think they're crying out for a strong leader and there's no better candidate.
you might well be right - and I'd rather it went to an English Manager - it just feels more righterer that way.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:09 am

I think that Allardyce will pick the best team rather than simply the best players. This is exactly what we need, I think.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I think that Allardyce will pick the best team rather than simply the best players. This is exactly what we need, I think.
he'll pick Andy Carroll. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 am

Like Bish I think there are a couple of ways of looking at it.

Whoever gets it, its a sad indictment of the English game that there isn't an English manager to pick who has won major trophies and really demonstrated their managerial prowess. I mean we all know Sam should have gotten a chance at bigger clubs, but ultimately we're saying the best qualified English manager by a mile, is someone who is well known for winning relegation battles with teams. Not decrying his achievements, but it perhaps shows where some of the issues lie.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:38 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I think that Allardyce will pick the best team rather than simply the best players. This is exactly what we need, I think.
Had we played him against Iceland with Townsend on the flank, we'd have been in the Quarters
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Like Bish I think there are a couple of ways of looking at it.

Whoever gets it, its a sad indictment of the English game that there isn't an English manager to pick who has won major trophies and really demonstrated their managerial prowess. I mean we all know Sam should have gotten a chance at bigger clubs, but ultimately we're saying the best qualified English manager by a mile, is someone who is well known for winning relegation battles with teams. Not decrying his achievements, but it perhaps shows where some of the issues lie.
I don't think that makes them any worse at their jobs than foreign managers.

Some Italian will win the league, get the national job, get sacked, go to another Italian team and win the cup.

Come over here and not meet expectation. But because he's won something in his homeland, he'd get a better shot at a team challenging for honours here..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Good old Louise Taylor from the Guardian.

Her 2015 view on Allardyce...completely and utterly damning

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -blackburn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rather like aeroplane passengers who recline their seats with no thought for the cramping effect on the person behind, Sam Allardyce's apologists are peculiarly annoying.
And now.....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... nd-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This approach has helped create one of the English game’s most innovative, three-dimensional thinkers whose fascination with, among many other things, sports science and statistics is underscored by sure-footed intuition

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Two faced bint.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Two faced bint.
She used to absolutely slate him when he was here as well. Lose a game with England and she'll be demanding he's hung for treason.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Two faced bint.
She used to absolutely slate him when he was here as well. Lose a game with England and she'll be demanding he's hung for treason.
Yes, didn't she describe us as being particularly "thin-skinned" for having taken her to task on one or two of her more air-headed remarks? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Women and football....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 pm

boltonboris wrote:Women and football....
Yep. She should stick to reporting on the no-tail game. An article on how shite the.keepers are would be a good start.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Quote of the day for me on Talksport, discussing whether Eddie Howe should be considered. " Form dipped towards the end of last season, blah, blah, don't know whether he's going to turn into a real candidate in a few years or Owen Coyle"... :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:43 am

thebish wrote:
I would as well, you need some big bugger who can get centre backs on yellow cards, hold the ball and also be there on the end of any crosses.
Does not mean everything has to go through him though it give another option, one we never had in France for all the hype of Vardy and Kane.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:40 am

Whether it's Carroll or another person not having a "big centre forward" in your squad is daft.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:55 am

Interviewed yesterday at David Gill's house according to SSN.
This could actually happen. A proper manager instead of a nodding figurehead who says all the right things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:00 am

Coming round to the idea of Big Sam. Least he won't be obsessed by bollocks possession stats. Our national team has done immeasurably worse since we had managers who spread the nonsense idea that keeping possession really mattered more than anything else.

Doesn't matter how much ball you have its what you do with it and what you stop the opposition doing with it.

Just hope the media give him a fair shake and aren't on his back all the time. Momentum seems with him right now though.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 am

Ten years too late.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:52 am

Phill brown says he would "walk over broken glass" to be Allardyce's assistant if he gets the England job.

I would absolutely love that, Allardyce and Brown with England. We could go full West Ham and say "we won the world cup".