Allardyces dream job...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:25 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ngland-job" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's the opinion?

I reckon with some good players he may just win something, at least they'd know what they should be doing.

Another piece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 30056.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:09 am

I think he'd be better than anybody else

England fans need to remove this mythical status from the England job.

We need an organiser and a manager the players will get behind. He's that man
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:15 am

boltonboris wrote:I think he'd be better than anybody else

Possibly. Would the England nobhead players accept his methods? He'd only work with them for a short time, we've already heard talk that some senior players don't want him.

My worry is two fold.

1) His critics in the media will be on his back immediately.

2) International management is entirely different to club management, you don't build the team and family like Allardyce has done so successfully at clubs. You see players for short periods and basically don't get to work on conditioning or fitness or anything like that.

I feel like international football doesn't necessarily work in the way Sam works best. I can see the media and some of our players on his back and I don't think public opinion would be on his side until he really got results.

I'd love for him to have a shot but if you've never been a fan of a club he's managed (or you support West Ham or Newcastle) you're probably going to be pissed off with him getting it, as much as we'd probably be were Pulis or someone like that to get it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:21 am

boltonboris wrote:I think he'd be better than anybody else

I agree - we've had managers who could play an inverted Christmas tree with a trequartista with the golden generation at their disposal....we need someone who can set up to beat the opposition with players understanding what their role is and just get on with it...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
we've already heard talk that some senior players don't want him.

feck 'em off then

International management is entirely different to club management, you don't build the team and family like Allardyce has done so successfully at clubs.

Other countries have managed it

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Portugal last night looked exactly how I'd expect an England team managed by Sam to look. Dour, hard to beat and everyone knows their job.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Portugal last night looked exactly how I'd expect an England team managed by Sam to look. Dour, hard to beat and everyone knows their job.
Considering the attack they were up against, one that dispensed with Germany, I thought they played the game right.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

feck 'em off then

International management is entirely different to club management, you don't build the team and family like Allardyce has done so successfully at clubs.

I'm sure allardyce would win them round and I'm also sure that such a bunch of failures should be completely ignored as far as recruitment goes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

feck 'em off then

I'm sure allardyce would win them round and I'm also sure that such a bunch of failures should be completely ignored as far as recruitment goes.
Not so sure. They'd flounce in for a week with England from their highly paid club contracts and throw their weight around. They'd also have their friends in the media smear Allardyce with negative stories about his "backwards approach". Then they'd probably lose a few qualifiers...

I'd like him to get a shot at it, but I can see the problems there. He's far better than Graham Taylor but suspect he'd end up with similar treatment if things didn't go well. And I'd not want that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Well that remains to be seen. I'm not having it that they'd deliberately lose qualifiers if that's what you're suggesting. I think they're a bunch of soft lads and he'd have them eating out of his hands by sheer strength of personality.
I.also think after how utterly shite they've been that the media and public would be a lot more supportive of Sam than previously.
Anyway he never got a crack at a big club, he deserves this and I really hope he gets it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Well that remains to be seen. I'm not having it that they'd deliberately lose qualifiers if that's what you're suggesting. I think they're a bunch of soft lads and he'd have them eating out of his hands by sheer strength of personality.
I.also think after how utterly shite they've been that the media and public would be a lot more supportive of Sam than previously.
Anyway he never got a crack at a big club, he deserves this and I really hope he gets it.
Not deliberately maybe, just sort of use Allardyce as a scapegoat if things went wrong.

Lets face it, they hated Capello and didn't play for him and his record at club level with big stars is very good. I'm not convinced that Allardyce seeing them every few months will have enough time to bring them around to his way of thinking.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Well that remains to be seen. I'm not having it that they'd deliberately lose qualifiers if that's what you're suggesting. I think they're a bunch of soft lads and he'd have them eating out of his hands by sheer strength of personality.
Not deliberately maybe, just sort of use Allardyce as a scapegoat if things went wrong.

Lets face it, they hated Capello and didn't play for him and his record at club level with big stars is very good. I'm not convinced that Allardyce seeing them every few months will have enough time to bring them around to his way of thinking.
Do you not think that a decent England manager would go out of his way to watch and talk and generally keep in touch with his players?

Or that he would not go sight seeing and actually look at possible opponents if he had the chance?

Or do you think he'd piss off for a piss up in the Balearic's in between games?

:doh:

BSA wins over players, not many I've ever seen having bad words about him, players want to win, just look at Ronaldo last night, if they think Sam can do it they'll play their socks off.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:37 pm

I seem to recall that the last time the FA interviewed Allardyce they asked him to prepare a presentation, which he duly did and took along on a memory stick, only to find that the wankers from the FA had pitched up sans laptop and OHP. In the end he had to get the hotel receptionist to run off hard copies. These people shouldn't be trusted to run a fecking bath!
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Told he was the best qualified and interviewed better than anybody, then employed McLaren as he "fit their ethos" more than Sam did

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 pm

The decision not to employ Sam at that time set the National team back years and cost untold millons in lost revenue.. But he was 'nicer', so that's ok

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Yep. I'd defo give it to him. Not buying the players wouldn't play for him. Some may have reservations at first but they want to play for their country and he'd win them around. If you can get Okocha, Djorkaeff et al to play for you then you must be doing something right.

International football to me seems to be about: man-management/team spirit; and, organisation/getting everyone on the same page. They're two of his strengths.

Down the pub I've been saying we should give it him ever since we went out, the only person to disagree is the Newcastle-fan landlord. Bearing in mind I live bang smack in Arsenal-country, I'm not sure he'd be as universally disliked as you reckon. Think that Iceland game made folk realised we need someone proper.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Fck em off if they don't want to play. That's not saying don't try, but if they're dead against it. Don't pick 'em. Iceland showed why team > individuals generally. As did Greece and Denmark when they won it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:Told he was the best qualified and interviewed better than anybody, then employed McLaren as he "fit their ethos" more than Sam did
An ethos of safety first failure. c*nts.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:34 pm

It's shown time & again that a team of well organised & fit players with real spirit can outplay a bunch of preening primadonnas. Allardyce could assure that would be our approach.

... & anyone saying they wouldn't play for him would be outed and isolated. F'cem.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 am

I just don't know... part of me thinks it'd be great - another part of me wonders if what it is Allardyce achieves is achieved because of the day-to-day contact with players that helps him build a squad-culture... is it so easy to do this with just the odd training camp? I don't know...