FIFA Women's World Cup

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

FIFA Women's World Cup

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Starts tonight in Edmonton with Canada against China. England goes on Tuesday against France in Moncton. It will be interesting to see how the event draws.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: FIFA Women's World Cup

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:37 pm

^^ No. No ... really, it won't be.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ No. No ... really, it won't be.
Sexist pig....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:00 am

Was watching a bit of Australia - USA today. Actually very surprised at the quality of the game. Good crowds too!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:49 pm

French are far superior. Our defence like watching Bolton.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:French are far superior. Our defence like watching Bolton.
We haven't beaten them in over forty years so no surprise.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:43 am

How fvckin patronising is it?!

"Oh they've been unlucky" they've been shit and can't pass 5 yards to feet

"The striker has worked hard and is unlucky" - She had 4 touches in the opposition half in the 1st 45 mins

"Keeper almost got to it" bread and butter save and fvckin embarrassing.

It'll never be taken seriously until they start to apply the same standards of commentary & punditry and especially refereeing that they do in the mens' game. If that makes some of them upset because they fvcked up, then fvck em

I was also absolutely shocked at the level of play acting and diving from some of the England players..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 am

boltonboris wrote:
I think I've been fairly consistent in my opinion here. I'm all in favour of women's footie, but they need to have blokes in goal. I'm yet to see a woman goalkeeper put in a performance that's been anything less than farcical.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
I think I've been fairly consistent in my opinion here. I'm all in favour of women's footie, but they need to have blokes in goal. I'm yet to see a woman goalkeeper put in a performance that's been anything less than farcical.
One bit cracked me up.. England 'keeper rolled the ball about 10 yards outside her own box and lumped it a far as she could.. It bounced just past the half way line.

Must have traveled about 25/30 yards
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:35 am

They need smaller nets. Keepers need to be 6 ft plus with the speed the ball moves nowadays. With men, that requirement narrows your pool far less than it does with women. Basically any woman over 6ft has a chance of being a goalkeeper.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:42 am

Prufrock wrote:They need smaller nets. Keepers need to be 6 ft plus with the speed the ball moves nowadays. With men, that requirement narrows your pool far less than it does with women. Basically any woman over 6ft has a chance of being a goalkeeper.

I disagree entirely. I think it's to do with an inability to gauge speed and distance. Nowt to do with height.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:53 am

What, all women are shit at judging speed and distance?! :lol:

Plenty of the ones who are playing in nets are shit at judging it, but there aren't many options. They have to pick anybody tall. Doesn't matter how good you are at those skills if you're 5'7. Which is still 3 inches above average height (making you about 6'1 as a bloke). It's the same reason basketball is a shit sport. It doesn't matter how good 90% of the population are at it, they're never going to make it on simple height alone.

In fairness too, almost every time I see a clip of a "wonder goal" from the 70s I think "shit keeping"!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:58 am

Prufrock wrote:What, all women are shit at judging speed and distance?! :lol:
No, just the one's that think that they can play in goal. ;)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:It'll never be taken seriously until they start to apply the same standards of commentary & punditry and especially refereeing that they do in the mens' game. If that makes some of them upset because they fvcked up, then fvck em
I'm guessing that some of the female pundits are friends with a lot of the players, and because they've only recently retired they may have been as bad themselves.

I saw about 10 minutes of the Brazil/Korea game... what seemed to be happening was an Brazilian attacking player would kick the ball straight ahead then keep running, the ball would get intercepted but the Korean player wouldn't get rid of it quickly enough and they'd get the ball back. Maybe this is the reason the English players seemed to want to get rid of the ball ASAP... even if it went straight to the opposition or the recipient was a couple of feet away with a French player bearing down on them.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I felt sorry for one or two who tried, like the Cafferty girl at left back. Quite frankly, the rest were playing junior school Moss Bank kick and rush. "Bang it up to ....whatever she was called" seemed to be our only attacking idea. The French girls at least tried to play football. Not sure what % was played in our half, but it was high.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:47 pm

You must all be really missing football to watch that shit.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Plenty of the ones who are playing in nets are shit at judging it, but there aren't many options. They have to pick anybody tall. Doesn't matter how good you are at those skills if you're 5'7. Which is still 3 inches above average height (making you about 6'1 as a bloke). It's the same reason basketball is a shit sport. It doesn't matter how good 90% of the population are at it, they're never going to make it on simple height alone.

In fairness too, almost every time I see a clip of a "wonder goal" from the 70s I think "shit keeping"!
Not entirely true. Mugsy Bogues, who played amongst other for the Toronto Raptors, was only 5' 3" and Earl Boykins, who retired in 2012 was 5' 5". Current shorties in the NBA are Nate Robinson (who won the Slam Dunk contest three times) and Isaiah Thomas at 5' 9" each. There are many others under six feet who made it on skill, though I grant you being 6' 7" helps. Personally I think basketball is a shit sport for other reasons.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:47 pm

How tall was Alton Byrd?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:22 pm

jaffka wrote:How tall was Alton Byrd?
I had to look this up. 5' 8" but he never played in the NBA.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

I think that's a ridiculous argument - based on the percentage of the population that are women, it stands to reason that they must be able to find a tall decent one that's on a par with Peter Schmeichel. Blatant sexism to suggest otherwise, you sexist pigdog. :-)