Euro Championships 2016

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Euro Championships 2016

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I think you meant Spain TD. As you say later, France lie in wait for us in the quarters.
With your strong recent record in predictions, I'd just like to make clear to the God of Football that he means France will play the winners of the Iceland v England match. :-)
Don't knock the lad Worthy, even he can see what the EU should be about. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:30 am

Another superb performance from Jerome Boeteng for Germany including scoring a goal. A real shout for player of the competition.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:36 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Another superb performance from Jerome Boeteng for Germany including scoring a goal. A real shout for player of the competition.
To be honest Tango, I don't see many faults anywhere in the German team, they look bloody good.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 am

Looks like Sterling is going to get the nod.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... oy-hodgson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:45 am

Problem Roy has is that the only genuine wide player he's picked is Sterling. So he's left with the problem of playing Sturridge and Lallana and having two players who drift inside and offer no width, or playing the fairly useless Sterling who at least offers width to the system.

Lallana has played well for me, but doesn't really suit the shape of the team and also he seems to have very little goal threat which is a problem for an attacking player in this sort of a setup. I'd still pick him over Sterling mind, but can see the argument about team shape.

The problem is if Sterling gets the ball early and doesn't do much his confidence isn't high and then we're playing with 10 men.....

Really cannot see how Townsend isn't in the squad because whilst he might be limited he was flying at the end of the season and would offer width, especially off the bench to change things up.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:49 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I've got Gomez any.time and 3-0 at 30-1. Lets calm down and take what we've got boys!

Germany look frightening.
Such a statement is generally followed by "So what's everyone drinking, then?"

Yup. So Pru?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:52 am

From what I've seen of him, my objection to Sterling so far (as has that of quite a few if the media is to be believed) has been his apparent half-hearted attitude and seeming laziness. He has the talent to run at defences and the ablity to go it alone on some occasions, but rarely does. We do need somebody to do that without relying on just pace. Llalana can, Barclay can, Wilshire can, but who plays is critical. We need somebody to make our forward attacks count and not give silly, careless balls away. One critical mistake can cost a game and there are no second chances now. Sudden death means just that. Oh, and somebody who can take a decent corner please....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:55 am

TANGODANCER wrote:From what I've seen of him, my objection to Sterling so far (as has that of quite a few if the media is to be believed) has been his apparent half-hearted attitude and seeming laziness.
I disagree. I think that his confidence is absolutely shot at and won't be helped by our own idiots boo-ing him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Lallana has played well for me, but doesn't really suit the shape of the team and also he seems to have very little goal threat
We nearly got banned from the tournament, first game, because he hit the Russian supporters that many times.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:From what I've seen of him, my objection to Sterling so far (as has that of quite a few if the media is to be believed) has been his apparent half-hearted attitude and seeming laziness.
I disagree. I think that his confidence is absolutely shot at and won't be helped by our own idiots boo-ing him.
Well I'd guess it's better than actually being shot at, which he bloody well deserved after his earlier performances.

Anyway he might do well he's had a Pep talk

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Agree completely about the booing idiots. The rest, well, time will tell. I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I've got Gomez any.time and 3-0 at 30-1. Lets calm down and take what we've got boys!

Germany look frightening.
Such a statement is generally followed by "So what's everyone drinking, then?"

Yup. So Pru?
Pint of bitter, cheers!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 pm

So, what's the prediction on Italy Spain? I reckon Spain will pass the ball around to mind-numbing levels but will win anyway. Might see a few Mediterranean muggings and an assault ot two, but Spain I reckon.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:So, what's the prediction on Italy Spain? I reckon Spain will pass the ball around to mind-numbing levels but will win anyway. Might see a few Mediterranean muggings and an assault ot two, but Spain I reckon.
1-0 either way AET following the drabbest encounter of the entire tournament. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm

Antonio Conte.
John Inverdale.
Lookalikes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm

The amount of cheating in this game is sickening.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Italy really deserved that, totally outplayed Spain.

Reckon Chelsea fans are the ones laughing right now. Looks like they got a good 'un there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Well, I got that one wrong and Spain go home. Italy showed how to beat them by hassling them from the start and, in truth, but for De Gea it could have been 4 or 5-0. Lots of Gallic shrugs and whiter-than-white protestations but the Mafia march on.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Please don't let Eidur come on as a late sub and make us all cry!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:16 pm

And so, on to A Game of Throw-ins, if what the media says is true that Iceland have a player who can fling the ball across the River Seine into a waste paper basket....or something. Effectively, should we be worrying about Iceland or thinking about thrashing them? Like to think the latter.....?