Euro Championships 2016

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Euro Championships 2016

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Well, someone had to. It kicks off on Friday.

I have a good feeling about this. Low key, none of the same bollocks about us winning it as is usually the case, so my expectations are low and I expect I'm not going to be disappointed on that front.
Last edited by Worthy4England on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Euro Chanpionships 2016

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Nah, too weak at the back, too one dimension in the middle, nice but still manager and no plan B. Quarters I think, scrambling there then dumped out by the first team who can play. Improvement on the world cup, but it's pretty difficult to go out in the group stages of this!

I've got a tenner each way on Belgium at 11s. France cocould go either way but if they click will be frightening. Spain strong again. Not sure where Germany's goals are coming from but worth a shout as everyone else seems forward heavy and defence light.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am

No chance. Not without Fabien Delph in the squad.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:17 am

Quite looking forward to this for a change. Been fairly apathetic about these tournaments for a while but looking forward to watching some games this summer. I mean I feel like I've been starved of football this year given the paucity of it on display at the Macron.

I think England actually have a decent chance this time. Not of winning it but of getting to the semis. Which would be nice. It relies on Hodgson being brave and making the right selections though. Our weakness is at the back so we may as well go for it, but we still need balance in the side and we need a strong midfield because that is where many international games are won and lost. It has a bit of a Euro 96 feel to it, with the first game looking a bit tricky then a middle game against a home nation. I find it hard to support England much given some of the tossers in the squad these days, but I like Vardy as a player if not a person and always root for Cahill so hope they do well.

France usually do well at home, but never bet against the Germans.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:48 am

Just found out that Mrs C has bought tickets for the Octagon on Saturday evening :evil:

I can feel a scene from The Likely Lads coming on.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:10 pm

clapton is god wrote:Just found out that Mrs C has bought tickets for the Octagon on Saturday evening :evil:

I can feel a scene from The Likely Lads coming on.
:lol: I am laughing at you Clapton. Laughing at you. Laughing at you!

I have agreed to go to a street party for the Queens 90th birthday between 1pm and 6pm as long as I get dropped off at the pub on the way home. :pissed:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:25 pm

We should get out of the group but if we do, as always, as soon as we meet quality opposition we'll be found wanting. The Germans have had a poor run up to the tournament by their standards, Spain look like a spent force to me, Italy are in transition so I'll go for France to win it (like the 98 world cup, they've already rigged the group stages and fixtures -only they play all their games at 8pm)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:32 pm

We are hassling the opposition beter than we've done for a considerable time. We also look sharper and fitter (which we'll definitely need to be) and have a bit of muscle in Barkley, Wilshire, Rooney and Kane. Walker is playing very well and I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get there. We need to fight, it's our best quality when we do, because we're not the best team individually, but we're in better shape than previously and if we play with some heart, who knows....?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Euro Championships 2016

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Just like two years ago, we're not gonna get out of the group. We'll bottle the first match against the rooskies, dominate against Wales and win 1-0 and then lose the final match against whoever it is and slump home.

My grandparents are Austrian and Polish, so i'm supporting those bad boys and I won't mind if they disappoint. I do mind if England disappoint, even though I should be used to it by now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:We are hassling the opposition beter than we've done for a considerable time. We also look sharper and fitter (which we'll definitely need to be) and have a bit of muscle in Barkley, Wilshire, Rooney and Kane. Walker is playing very well and I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get there. We need to fight, it's our best quality when we do, because we're not the best team individually, but we're in better shape than previously and if we play with some heart, who knows....?
Muscle? Wilshere? Barkley? Nah.....Power and muscle is what we lack in midfield. Leicester's Central midfield is better than England's.

We have a plethora of good strikers and players to play in behind. Full backs are decent.

If Hodgson plays to our strengths we could do very well. If we try to play possession football in front of teams we won't.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:We should get out of the group but if we do, as always, as soon as we meet quality opposition we'll be found wanting. The Germans have had a poor run up to the tournament by their standards, Spain look like a spent force to me, Italy are in transition so I'll go for France to win it (like the 98 world cup, they've already rigged the group stages and fixtures -only they play all their games at 8pm)
The Germans always seem to look shit, right up to the semi's

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:09 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:Just like two years ago, we're not gonna get out of the group. We'll bottle the first match against the rooskies, dominate against Wales and win 1-0 and then lose the final match against whoever it is and slump home.

My grandparents are Austrian and Polish, so i'm supporting those bad boys and I won't mind if they disappoint. I do mind if England disappoint, even though I should be used to it by now.
There's a decent chance that set of results would still see us go through.. Much like qualifying it's pretty tough to go out in the group stages!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:58 am

:D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:51 pm

The England team visited an orphanage in France yesterday.

"It's heartbreaking to see their little faces with no hope", said Philippe age 6

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Kick off time for the tournament tonight. Thankfully, I'll be left to watch in peace in the living room whilst the wife watches intellectual stuff like Big Brother in the lounge etc. Bring it on.... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm

LeverEnd wrote:The England team visited an orphanage in France yesterday.

"It's heartbreaking to see their little faces with no hope", said Philippe age 6
:lol:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:22 pm

I got Italy and Albania in the draw at work.

Nailed on for those two to make the final. yhihf.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Got to accept the home boys have a strong squad with some real talent in Pogba, Martial and co.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Always Hopeless just texted me to say how refreshing it was not to see the twin blood-sucking leeches of Platini and Twatter showing their faces at the start of this tournament.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Great name for one of the Romanians: Razvan Rat.. :D