Euro Championships 2016

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Euro Championships 2016

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:B.W.F.Ci, Hodgson is not a cluelesss manager. His record this last twelve monthsa has been excellent. He's overseen in Sterling without a doubt, and the same man missed or cocked up some real chances, but we were so superior that a draw feels like a big loss. When they got the corner in the 90th minute my heart sank. So many, many times before we've taken the foot off the gas and paid the price for it. One goal lead is never enough and their keeper saved at least three almost certain goals. Lets hope we resurrect ourselves and sort it. None of it, Sterling's selection apart, is Hodgson's fault.
He brought players on to sit back and left us without an outlet and it gave them the chance to just keep lumping balls into the box.

It was glaringly obvious that Vardy was needed to get behind the defence.

Of course it is one moment that costs us, but that is the same when any team concedes a late goal. But the failing was trying to go too deep and not having the pace up front to be able to offset that....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hodgson isn't good enough. That shines through tonight. Even fecking Peter Crouch could see the issue.
Do give over will you. Let's just disagree. A season of unbeaten matches and a good display against a very lucky Russia says he is good enough. We can't live in the past and England are just one of many at this level. Hodgson has given us some pride back and you disliking him doesn't alter the fact that his record speaks for itself. He can only manage what he has and for me he's doing that pretty well.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hodgson isn't good enough. That shines through tonight. Even fecking Peter Crouch could see the issue.
Do give over will you. Let's just disagree. A season of unbeaten matches and a good display against a very lucky Russia says he is good enough. We can't live in the past and England are just one of many at this level. Hodgson has given us some pride back and you disliking his doesn't alter the fact that his record speaks for itself. He can only manage what he has and for me he's doing that pretty well.

Amen! :oyea:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:B.W.F.Ci, Hodgson is not a cluelesss manager. His record this last twelve monthsa has been excellent. He's overseen in Sterling without a doubt, and the same man missed or cocked up some real chances, but we were so superior that a draw feels like a big loss. When they got the corner in the 90th minute my heart sank. So many, many times before we've taken the foot off the gas and paid the price for it. One goal lead is never enough and their keeper saved at least three almost certain goals. Lets hope we resurrect ourselves and sort it. None of it, Sterling's selection apart, is Hodgson's fault.
There was a real case for bringing Vardy on to run at them towards the end, but instead we sat back and allowed them to come onto us. That was very much Hodgson's call and it looks as though he got it wrong. Nevertheless, we played well for most of the game and we should get enough from the next two games to progress from the group.
Last edited by Nicko58 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 pm

we did beat the Oz today! swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing loooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
There was a real case for bringing Vardy on to run at them towards the end, but instead we sat back and allowed them to come onto us. That was very much Hodgson's call and it looks as though he got it wrong. Nevertheless, we played well for most of the game and we should get enough from the next two games to progress from the group.

aye - hindsight... we could have brought Vardy on - and Russia could have scored - and then some would have pissed and moaned that we should have shut up shop... and that all this attack-attack-attack was naive... (I imagine... IMHO... etc.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:27 pm

thebish wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

aye - hindsight... we could have brought Vardy on - and Russia could have scored - and then some would have pissed and moaned that we should have shut up shop... and that all this attack-attack-attack was naive... (I imagine... IMHO... etc.)
Well it would be hindsight if it hadn't been said as soon as we scored...

Also it wasn't a case of bringing him on as an extra striker. Should have come on for Kane and then the easy out ball was over the top. If you're sitting deep, Vardy is the best bet as he's done that job for Leicester all year.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:48 pm

Thought a good performance from England, generally. Stirling ran down a few too many blind alley's for me and Kane wasn't at his best, but certainly a decent performance.

I thought Rooney was well off the pace, hit passes straight out to touch and looked lost (had a couple of decent shots though) - but the commentators seemed to think it worked well - so whaddo I know.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 am

Proper teams would have won tonight. Russia were dreadful. Scored a goal that can happen against anyone, but having bossed the game for 70 mins we thought "shit we're ahead, better bring Milner on and sit back". Big fan of Kane, but wasn't happening for him tonight, and at 1-0 against the world's slowest defence, Vardy should have been on.

Thought Sterling was good. You lot don't know what you're on about. Pace, positive, a threat, linked well with Rose. Not sure what people want from him. New #scapegoat
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:12 am

^^ Probably better than Stirling, aye. I wouldn't necessarily have described either as "awful".

We had Dier anchoring, Wilshere did as much in 10 minutes as Rooney (and I wouldn't have taken him either). Rooney didn't look anywhere near the same pace as the rest of the team, to me...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 am

Prufrock wrote: Thought Sterling was good. You lot don't know what you're on about. Pace, positive, a threat, linked well with Rose. Not sure what people want from him. New #scapegoat
Yes he did pace, yes he was positive (so's one end of a PP9 battery) and yes he linked well with Rose. If you're not sure what people want from him aside from that, then it probably explains why you're in a minority regarding his performance. Too little end product tonight and when he was a threat it was generally in inconsequential places. I'd still start him on Thursday, probably, but tonight not much kop.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:11 am

It's not a case of scapegoating him but none of his skill & speed is of any use unless he makes something of it. How many useful crosses did he actually get into the box ? How often did he have the full back for speed & cut back inside & kill the momentum ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:34 am

It's rare that someone is in a minority of one but it's the overwhelming majority who don't know what they're on about. Fair play Prufrock!
Classic headless chicken performance. I'll defend liam feeney for that sort of thing but not the 9th most expensive player ever in a major tournament.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:05 am

I'm no Rooney fan but I thought he played well yesterday. I mean he takes chances in his own half and sometimes gave the ball away unnecessarily something that better teams may punish...but I'd keep him there for now.

For me we need to keep that shape but get one of Sturridge, Rashford or Vardy into the team. For all the good play the chances mainly fell to Lallana who is noted for looking great in games till it comes to the end product, and Sterling for me had a poor game and similarly doesn't have an end product.

You therefore, with Rooney deeper, rely on Kane to score, and nothing fell for him, or Alli a young lad.

I know Pru will be on screaming about shoehorning players in but we didn't need to play as well last night to win. Had Sturridge or Rashford or Vardy had those chances Lallana did it could have been game over before half time.

I know the system we played under Sam wasn't exactly the same but it was at its best when Stelios and Diouf drifted inside and both had great end product.

Given the full backs got forward so much and Sterling and Lallana came inside I think there is room to put a striker into one of those roles, it might lose a little natural shape but think we need another goal scorer in that side.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 am

I thought we played very well last night. That kind of possession football combined with excellent forward link-up play and breaking at pace will win you more matches than it loses... and can win you tournaments. We just have to keep it up.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:34 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I thought we played very well last night. That kind of possession football combined with excellent forward link-up play and breaking at pace will win you more matches than it loses... and can win you tournaments. We just have to keep it up.
Wins internet pint for most sensible comment of the thread. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:36 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I thought we played very well last night. That kind of possession football combined with excellent forward link-up play and breaking at pace will win you more matches than it loses... and can win you tournaments. We just have to keep it up.
It was very early season Bolton though, play well, miss chances, sit too deep at the end and concede a last minute equaliser. Can go one of two ways, start taking chances and push on, or the Bolton way....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:56 am

Prufrock wrote:Proper teams would have won tonight. Russia were dreadful. Scored a goal that can happen against anyone, but having bossed the game for 70 mins we thought "shit we're ahead, better bring Milner on and sit back". Big fan of Kane, but wasn't happening for him tonight, and at 1-0 against the world's slowest defence, Vardy should have been on.

Thought Sterling was good. You lot don't know what you're on about. Pace, positive, a threat, linked well with Rose. Not sure what people want from him. New #scapegoat
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Now I know never to take you seriously, ever!

Sterling would have fit right into our team of dead beats for the last couple of seasons and on a mega wedge!

He was fecking awful mate.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wins internet pint for most sensible comment of the thread. :oyea:
No, England. Panic! Lump it forward. (can we) Knock it!

mwuhahaha :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Really good chance for Alli headed wide with Kane almost knocking in. From sterling beating his man and getting a good cross in.

Sterling beats three, then a glorious back heel to rose who but a belting ball into the box that no-one gambled on.

Won the free kick Kane flashed across that could have gone anywhere.

He was fine. Offered more than lallana who was fine too. We created plenty, Kane flat. Still having got 1 up we sat back and let a lumbering set of cloggers chuck balls into the box.

Poor decisions from Roy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.