The Day I Met A Footballer

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

The Day I Met A Footballer

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Had a meeting this morning with a guy who lives in Disley, and for some reason the subject of Stockport County came up. Anyway, he gets on to telling me this story about the grand re-opening (after extensive and expensive refurbishments, apparently) of his local boozer. He spies this guy this guy who he assumes is stood on the furniture and shouts over to him "There's always one, you nice person, get off the fecking furniture". As this bloke walks towards him he got no smaller - it was Kevin Francis :D

Perhaps others have tales of meeting footballers.

Leverend need not apply with his conquests in Fanny's bogs!
May the bridges I burn light your way

ExiledViking
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: The Day I Met A Footballer

Post by ExiledViking » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Last year, I spent an evening in the company of former Newcastle Utd, Portsmouth & Stoke City defender, Andy Griffin.
It was my wife's school reunion, and Andy Griffin was in the same year as her.
Very quiet & unassuming fella.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:48 pm

Back in my day as a property journo I went to an exhibition somewhere in West London. One companies had Lee Sharpe at their stand as their ambassador. To be honest given the suit and slicked-back hair, he looked like he suited the business of selling timeshares in Barbados!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:40 pm

I visited a business with work around 12 year ago. While there I was introduced to their salesman. A certain Alan Gowling. I didn't let on that I knew who he was.

A lesser known footballer I met a few years ago was Jon Bowden (ex Oldham, Rochdale and Wrexham midfielder). I was having problems with my achilles tendon and walking any distance was painful. He was working for the NHS from Leverhulme Park sports centre. Not had a problem since he treated me. Nice bloke.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:03 am

Met Bobby Charlton whilst I was playing football as an 8 year old (or thereabouts). As he was a red I wasn't too impressed and was about the only kid that more or less ignored him. My Dad, a City fan, was most impressed at his son whereas 2 of my Utd supporting brothers weren't.

My only other footballer meeting was when I was 15 and got to spend the morning with the team at Burnden Park. Phil Neal spent the whole morning with me whilst yelling at Julian Darby et al to run faster up the steps in the stand :) Was an ace day.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Way back, lived just across a short field from Franny Lee and my kids went to Hart Common School and played with his. I went to quite a few of his parties where Rodney Marsh, Rod Thomas, Dave Makay and Mike Summerbee would be in attendance. I also worked with Freddie Hill for a short time and played a couple of rounds of golf with Eddie Hopkinson at Deane Golf Club.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Way back, lived just across a short field from Franny Lee and my kids went to Hart Common School and played with his. I went to quite a few of his parties where Rodney Marsh, Rod Thomas, Dave Makay and Mike Summerbee would be in attendance. I also worked with Freddie Hill for a short time and played a couple of rounds of golf with Eddie Hopkinson at Deane Golf Club.
Freddie Hill was my Dad's favourite player. He used to come in the Lodge Bank Tavern occasionally much to the old man's excitement.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 am

Met Berti Auld a few weeks ago he presented me my certificates at the Celtic foundation he won the European cup

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 am

Played against James McFadden when I was younger his family are good friends with mines Alan Johnston to was in year above played against him to got my programme signed to at Coopers testimonial by the likes of Woods Butcher Stevens McCoist to name but a few