Rooney Quits Internationals

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Bye bye. Good riddance.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19903
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Behave. Proper England legend (now he's stopped playing for that lot). We'd have won Euro 2004 if he'd stayed fit. Victim of setting expectations so high for himself.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25614
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm
Behave. Proper England legend (now he's stopped playing for that lot). We'd have won Euro 2004 if he'd stayed fit. Victim of setting expectations so high for himself.
Legend? Not for me. Not by a long way. Scored a lot against poor sides. When it mattered in big tournaments went missing. Had a go at the fans.

When I think of say Lineker, I always think of his hattrick in Mexico or goals in Italy. On the biggest stage. Dragging England through. And of course that "gesture". But there are memories of him being significant on the biggest stage. The England team in 86 were not exactly world beaters either.

What memories of Rooney will I have? None, is the answer. He never stepped up when it mattered. In fact the opposite happened. Either he bottled it or he simply wasn't that good.

None of Rooney's generation are England legends. They are all tainted with failure.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35612
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 am

Pretty much where Insane-o is on this. When folk were banging on about him beating Bobby Charlton's record, Charlton didn't get to take penalties against Krakatoa or places that turn up on the shipping forecast. Hasn't done anything of note for me. Had a decent tournament in 2006 but the prick got himself sent off.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8491
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 am

Pretty much agree. Probably one of the better players of the so called 'golden generation', but there was nothing golden about them. over hyped and a symbol of the lack of progress of football in the UK.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm
Behave. Proper England legend...
You appear to be in a minority of one.

(a position I quite often occupy).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19903
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 am
Pretty much where Insane-o is on this. When folk were banging on about him beating Bobby Charlton's record, Charlton didn't get to take penalties against Krakatoa or places that turn up on the shipping forecast. Hasn't done anything of note for me. Had a decent tournament in 2006 but the prick got himself sent off.
The idea his record is disproportionately inflated by playing in friendlies against wank teams is a myth.

22 of Charlton's goals were in friendlies. Another 11 were in Home International games against Wales or Northern Ireland.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19903
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:56 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 pm
Behave. Proper England legend...
You appear to be in a minority of one.

(a position I quite often occupy).
One man and a correct opinion outvotes a majority.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35612
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 am
Pretty much where Insane-o is on this. When folk were banging on about him beating Bobby Charlton's record, Charlton didn't get to take penalties against Krakatoa or places that turn up on the shipping forecast. Hasn't done anything of note for me. Had a decent tournament in 2006 but the prick got himself sent off.
The idea his record is disproportionately inflated by playing in friendlies against wank teams is a myth.

22 of Charlton's goals were in friendlies. Another 11 were in Home International games against Wales or Northern Ireland.
Freindlies against who?

Also, you appear not to have offered a similar analysis regarding Rooney's goals, just some "wank" assertion.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19903
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Friendlies like these:

An 8-1 v USA
A 9-0 v Luxembourg
An 8-0 v Mexico
An 8-1 v Switzerland
A 10-0 this time v USA

I didn't do it for Rooney because I'm not arguing he didn't score a large % against weaker teams as well. I'm saying it's a myth that's a recent phenomenom.

Fairest comparison seems to be to work out the average no. goals England scored in the games they each scored in, that seems to show how "easy" goals were to come by (whether weak opposition or a strong England squad) in those games.

Rooney scored 53 across 43 games. Engalnd averaged 2.95 goals in each of those games.
Charlton scored 49 across 37 games. England averaged 3.62 in those games.

So it's not fair to say Rooney's goals were a piece of piss to get compared to Charlton.

I'm not arguing Rooney is better by the way, given Charlton was a "midfielder" by modern standards his goal record was sensational.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: no

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm

He is the face of English Failure 2004-2016. Great stats. Zero Success.

Reaction post-Algeria in South Africa could be the Nadir. Stamping on some Portugese' bollocks like a pwopa English hot-hed a close second.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25614
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm
Friendlies like these:

An 8-1 v USA
A 9-0 v Luxembourg
An 8-0 v Mexico
An 8-1 v Switzerland
A 10-0 this time v USA

I didn't do it for Rooney because I'm not arguing he didn't score a large % against weaker teams as well. I'm saying it's a myth that's a recent phenomenom.

Fairest comparison seems to be to work out the average no. goals England scored in the games they each scored in, that seems to show how "easy" goals were to come by (whether weak opposition or a strong England squad) in those games.

Rooney scored 53 across 43 games. Engalnd averaged 2.95 goals in each of those games.
Charlton scored 49 across 37 games. England averaged 3.62 in those games.

So it's not fair to say Rooney's goals were a piece of piss to get compared to Charlton.

I'm not arguing Rooney is better by the way, given Charlton was a "midfielder" by modern standards his goal record was sensational.
Legend isn't defined by "who was best". It is what they achieved. What did Rooney achieve when it mattered? Answer is he failed. Miserably. On the biggest stage he didn't just look poor. He looked beyond poor.

Legends don't consistently fail. Sorry there isn't any getting around that.

User avatar
OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Rooney Quits Internationals

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Jim Greaves is the greatest English goalscorer this country has seen - so what if Rooney has more international goals, he's so far behind the former for awareness, predatory instinct and finishing, it's almost blasphemy to have them in the same sentence.

As others have mentioned, had one standout competition at Portugal 2004 and has done little else in the time since. Not even that special at domestic level since leaving Everton around that aforementioned time, was surprised they took him back.

Funny how, in the great scheme of things, he's been supported and aided by names such as Beckham, Owen, Shearer, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the national side for long enough, and we still never managed to reach the latter stages of any euro or world cup competition. In retrospect, it's kind of bizarre. Rooney was far from a one man show, but with the talent available, we really should have done better.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests