Footballers Autobiographies

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Footballers Autobiographies

Post by Athertonian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I've read quite a few, some are quite interesting others are dull. Last one I read was Jason Mcateers, there's no way he wrote that.

Peter Reids book is out and wondered if anyone has taken a look?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Footballers Autobiographies

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am

Athertonian wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 pm
I've read quite a few, some are quite interesting others are dull. Last one I read was Jason Mcateers, there's no way he wrote that.

Peter Reids book is out and wondered if anyone has taken a look?
McAteer's is still uread on the shelf. Worth opening?

The only footballer's book that I'd go as far as to implore people to read is Garry Nelson's Left Foot Forward. An absolutely cracking read.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am

Not a footballers, but Andre Agassi's "Open" is well worth reading even if you aren't a tennis fan.

I get bought a lot of them by folk who know my interests include football and books and so put two and two together. Most are pretty dull. In laws have got me George Best and Alex Ferguson's the last 2 Christmases. Not sure how to knock that on the fecking head.

Ibrahimovic and Pirlo's the best two I've read recently. Seen to remember getting an abridged version of Paul McGrath's free with DSB's magazine once too which was... eye opening
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:26 am

Jason McAteer's book is well worth a read and quite funny in parts. He does have fond memories of Bolton which is well documented in the book. Is it worth a read? It's up to the individual but I'd say yes.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Surprised no one's mentioned Nat's "Goals Galore". From way back, but still a cracking memory of the great man. Had a signed copy at one time but lost it between mariages. Always regretted that because I got it for Christmas as a kid.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 pm

I've read a few and most tend to be pretty dull with no real revelations or surprises.

Good shout on Gary Nelsons book. Paul McGraths is well worth a read too. One from years back I enjoyed was Fred Eyre's Kicked into touch. Tony Cascarino's is supposed to be pretty good as well.

Avoid at all costs Sam's and Tony Adams narcissistic efforts. Both a pile of shite
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Just remembered another one I liked. The keeper of dreams - about Lars Leese who was plucked from the German regional leagues to play for Barnsley in the premier league. Might dig it out again.

If there's one sporting non football book I'd absolutely implore you to buy, it's Friday night lights. It's about high school 'football' in Texas. Utterly bonkers and jaw dropping stuff in there
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"